• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sage upgrade

Red Beard

SH Member
I hate the blocky look of the Samick Sage. Had an unused one laying around and decided to better-ize it by sanding all the hard corners (saw a similar one on TradTalk). Ended up sanding the whole thing and reshaping the grip to suit me. Stippled the grip by pressing a punch into the wood. Pretty happy with the results.
20220723_145741.jpg20220723_145818.jpg20220723_145830.jpg20220723_145810.jpg20220723_145756.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!! I've been kicking around a 40lb sage and if I get one I'm definitely going to sand it now
Do it. I was hesitant at first but then I loved doing it once I got into it. It was a breeze with the 1" belt sander I use to make those knife handles and jewelry and stuff. I recommend planning on sanding every surface when you do it. Trying to keep a belt sander away from the "still shiny bits" is difficult. Went a lot better once I got it in my head I was going to have to sand every surface.

Nice, I like it. I was thinking of thinning the profile of my Ember riser and then stippling it as well. You've given me some inspiration. Now I just have to act on it.

I did the same thing to one of the China bows Bear was selling a few years back. I stained the riser ebony and sprayed it with Spar. Gave it about 6-7 Coates with a steel wool rub in between each one.

You want to raise the grain and sand it a couple times before you put your finish on. Wipe it down with a water wet rag and let it dry. Sand it smooth with really fine sandpaper. Do it 2-3 times and your grain won’t raise when you put your finish on.

So... last night I replaced the riser on my 45lb bow with this one and I am thoroughly amazed. It shoots/feels like a DREAM! The grip feels perfect in the hand.

Trying to figure how to finish it. I'm actually feeling the unfinished look, but I'm concerned about the possibility of being caught out in the rain with it. Anybody know what happens if you don't finish a riser? Will it get dorked up if it gets wet? @GCTerpfan, maybe you could ask your Dad?

So... last night I replaced the riser on my 45lb bow with this one and I am thoroughly amazed. It shoots/feels like a DREAM! The grip feels perfect in the hand.

Trying to figure how to finish it. I'm actually feeling the unfinished look, but I'm concerned about the possibility of being caught out in the rain with it. Anybody know what happens if you don't finish a riser? Will it get dorked up if it gets wet? @GCTerpfan, maybe you could ask your Dad?

He advised against leaving it unfinished.

If you what something inexpensive that won't darken the wood too much, he recommends either a can of Matt spar urethane, or maybe a couple coats of shellac.

I love stippling by the way!

Perfect
He advised against leaving it unfinished.

If you what something inexpensive that won't darken the wood too much, he recommends either a can of Matt spar urethane, or maybe a couple coats of shellac.

I love stippling by the way!
Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you sir.

Might have to go with a darker color like ebony like @Heydeerman mentioned.

Added stippling on the front of the grip too (per @Razorbak66 recommendation). Then I decided to go with tung oil and see what would happen. Here is before the first coat.
View attachment 68145View attachment 68146View attachment 68147View attachment 68148
And after the first coat; already a marked difference.
View attachment 68149View attachment 68150

Doesn't everyone love a good build along? :D
Can you post picture next to your other riser? I’m curious to see how much you actually took off during your sanding process or how they compare to one another. I may try this out on the samick I have coming in since my wife has tiny hands.

Can you post picture next to your other riser? I’m curious to see how much you actually took off during your sanding process or how they compare to one another. I may try this out on the samick I have coming in since my wife has tiny hands.
Yep. I'll do it after I get it finished.

Back