• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scentlok Clothing Quality

KAdams944

I’m a big fan of John Eberhart’s. I’ve watched most of his YouTube videos and read his books. I have hunting in Michigan all my life and Mr. Eberhart is the only person I know of who goes into detail about hunting pressured areas. He is a huge Scentlok fan, but every time I go to purchase Scentlok I’m disappointed. The clothing runs small I’m (6’3” 280), imo it’s manufactured with poor quality , mediocre materials, and the fit sucks. I don’t doubt that it works great for deer hunting. I wish there was an alternative. I know Cabela’s used to make there MT050 in Scentlok before they were purchased by Bass Pro. Scentlok purchased Scentlok Blocker. Leaving little alternative to Scentlok.

I can't say the same thing. I have liked the clothes I have got from them. The windproofing works well. But i have only used them for one season so time will tell on the longevity of the clothing.
Not sure about the longevity either, but they seem to fit like Asian sizes do.

I respect John's accomplishments too. Have his books and videos. I've just never bought into the whole scent lock thing because it was making hunting not fun. I wash my clothes in scent and dye free detergent, hang them out to dry and try to keep my outer layers in bins etc. but I do hunt the wind and thermals as much as possible and try to get a little higher in circumstances that require it but I've never owned a piece of scent lock clothing or any other brand because even though your body is covered, the exterior of the garment is still picking up odors and no matter what you do, you're giving off scent in the form of breath vapor and skin etc. and other random odors that you happen to pick up. There have been countless experiments with dogs and no matter what was used, the dog was able to pick up the scent. That being said, although I have a few nice bucks and have killed a lot of deer over my hunting lifetime, I certainly do not have the wall of trophy racks that John Eberhart does!!!

I have mostly not had the same experience. I have used and my scentlok and if anything I have just plain worn some stuff out. The only items I have had problems with are the more recent batches of the shooter gloves. They've changed the cut and the quality is definitely not the same as the old design. I've had a lot of the seams come apart on this version.

In my experience I have gotten great use out of my Scentlok clothing. Several seasons worth with minimal wear. The most frustrating thing with me in regards to Scentlok is they never have my size. Especially in bottoms. I pretty much wear a medium in all their stuff and more often then not they are out of medium pants. Always seem to have 2XL in everything tho and can find some really good deals on their website. I always try to play the wind but unfortunately the deer I’m after don’t always follow the rules and the wind is always shifting. Even on a great setup with a deer approaching from upwind of me and moving directly towards me that same deer may very well end up downwind of me as it passes me by and if that deer is a big ol nanny with her boyfriend in tow just maybe it’ll buy me a little more time to make the shot. I also spent the last 7-8 years trad hunting and my setups had to be a lot closer to trails I was hunting over then in years past and I was no longer climbing 25-30 feet up with a climber on a telephone pole. Where my main goal now was to be within 20 yards and much more preferably 15 yards and within. Usually 15-18 feet up. I’ll take any advantage I can get and if anything it makes me more confident in my setup. With that being said, I’m not setting up upwind of a bedding area or anything. Just trying to minimize my footprint if at all possible.

Just to be clear, I’m not doubting Scentloks effectiveness. I just don’t like the way it fits, and the way it is designed (layout of pockets, width of suspender straps, elastic bands).

Just to be clear, I’m not doubting Scentloks effectiveness. I just don’t like the way it fits, and the way it is designed (layout of pockets, width of suspender straps, elastic bands).
I gotcha, and I didn’t think you were. Some of their stuff I’ve had to return due to fit also. And some of their stuff I just didn’t like either. And I didn’t wanna turn this thread into a ScentLok’s great/ScentLok sucks thread.

Just a reminder, like the OP said let's keep the discussion to the fit/sizing/quality of the clothes and not rehash the effectiveness. There is an entire Scent Control section where that conversation has taken place.

With that said. I also haven't had the same experience as the OP with SL clothing. I purchased my first SL clothing 5 or so years ago then got away from using it for several years. In that time I have tried Nomad, Browning's Hells Canyon Speed gear, and then finally Sitka outerwear. I used the Sitka Stratus set for the past two years but sold the stratus jacket and purchased the SL Revenant set and Stealth set this year. The quality of the Sitka stuff is definitely a notch above the rest but, it's a small gap. The SL stuff seems similar quality to everything else I have tried. When you factor in that I have purchased all of the SL stuff I have ever bought at 50% or more off during their end of year sale so I can't justify buying any higher end gear.

Regarding fit, I am 6' 190# and usually a large/xlarge. I pay attention to the reviews on sizing before I order but, the only sizing issue I have seen is the Stealth pants that I ordered run big. I had to order a medium in them, which many people pointed out in their reviews. Maybe the sizing is worse with their larger sizes? I haven't paid much attention to their pocket layout. I use em wherever they are.

I’ve been trying to unlock a swirling river bottom for years now… for better or worse I’m trying some Scentlok this year. I’m 6’ 170lbs and do find the Medium gear I bought in January to be on the small side. Ideally and unfortunately I’m halfway between M and L in most items, and I’d say fit runs on the small side.

Just a reminder, like the OP said let's keep the discussion to the fit/sizing/quality of the clothes and not rehash the effectiveness. There is an entire Scent Control section where that conversation has taken place.

With that said. I also haven't had the same experience as the OP with SL clothing. I purchased my first SL clothing 5 or so years ago then got away from using it for several years. In that time I have tried Nomad, Browning's Hells Canyon Speed gear, and then finally Sitka outerwear. I used the Sitka Stratus set for the past two years but sold the stratus jacket and purchased the SL Revenant set and Stealth set this year. The quality of the Sitka stuff is definitely a notch above the rest but, it's a small gap. The SL stuff seems similar quality to everything else I have tried. When you factor in that I have purchased all of the SL stuff I have ever bought at 50% or more off during their end of year sale so I can't justify buying any higher end gear.

Regarding fit, I am 6' 190# and usually a large/xlarge. I pay attention to the reviews on sizing before I order but, the only sizing issue I have seen is the Stealth pants that I ordered run big. I had to order a medium in them, which many people pointed out in their reviews. Maybe the sizing is worse with their larger sizes? I haven't paid much attention to their pocket layout. I use em wherever they are.
I had the same issue with the SL Stealth pants. Bought a medium and good size too large. I did purchase a Revenant jacket a few months ago for half off that I really do like and the size seems spot on there. I am actually looking at a First Lite Catalyst jacket and bibs that I could have probably talked myself out of if I were able to find something similar in my size from ScentLok. 20% off for veteran status but still pretty pricey. Have shifted some of my focus to the Sitka Stratus jacket and bibs as well and their military discount is 40% which comes out pretty similar in price to the aforementioned First Lite outfit I’m eyeballing. Not that I need more…just ‘want’ more. I don’t own any bibs and have managed to talk myself into needing some. Lol.

I had the same issue with the SL Stealth pants. Bought a medium and good size too large. I did purchase a Revenant jacket a few months ago for half off that I really do like and the size seems spot on there. I am actually looking at a First Lite Catalyst jacket and bibs that I could have probably talked myself out of if I were able to find something similar in my size from ScentLok. 20% off for veteran status but still pretty pricey. Have shifted some of my focus to the Sitka Stratus jacket and bibs as well and their military discount is 40% which comes out pretty similar in price to the aforementioned First Lite outfit I’m eyeballing. Not that I need more…just ‘want’ more. I don’t own any bibs and have managed to talk myself into needing some. Lol.

I loved almost everything about my Stratus set and it's really versatile. The only thing I didn't like is that it isn't completely silent like the Revenant set. I wouldn't call the Stratus set noisy, but, it's not dead quiet like the Revenant and Stealth sets you have. Most people probably wouldn't have any issues but, hunting with a stick bow I like deer sub 15 yds. I shot two deer while wearing the Stratus jacket this year that were under 15 yds, both were calm mornings and both deer heard me draw. Luckily, they froze long enough for me to finish the shot.

I've used scentlok in the early part of the season for the last 2 years. It's been great to me fits great, quiet, and I'm yet to poke a hole in any of my clothes. I think some pieces are designed better than others. I love the silent shell suit

Scentlok fan here! I use a mixture of clothing for hunting and end up wearing Scentlok most of the season. Big fan of First Lite and Kuiu also. My size may have something to do with having a great fit, I'm 5' 7" and 180 lbs.. Short with wide shoulders and the large fits me perfect with room for some layers if needed. I can't find any pants or bibs that don't need at least 5" hemmed off of the length. Good thing I married a wife that sews! I don't buy into the scent game as I hunt the wind but I like the warmth, fit, and silence of their clothing.

I only wear Scentlok and have done so for the last several years because of the fit. I’m almost 6’2” and around 220 and generally most of their gear fits me well. They do offer a couple pieces which come in tall size which works for me cuz I have stupid long arms. I haven’t had any quality control issues, did have a zipper pop off a pair of pants and they replaced the pants no issue.

I loved almost everything about my Stratus set and it's really versatile. The only thing I didn't like is that it isn't completely silent like the Revenant set. I wouldn't call the Stratus set noisy, but, it's not dead quiet like the Revenant and Stealth sets you have. Most people probably wouldn't have any issues but, hunting with a stick bow I like deer sub 15 yds. I shot two deer while wearing the Stratus jacket this year that were under 15 yds, both were calm mornings and both deer heard me draw. Luckily, they froze long enough for me to finish the shot.
If there is any other Sitka clothing you "almost" love let me know! LOL I like buying from you

With that said I never owned one piece of Scent Lok but that is all my dad wears. Not sure what he has but he is 67 and doesn't care about fit like I do. I am not a fan of the fit myself 'on my body'. Might fit others perfectly. He loves his stuff and has had it for years. I am actually ordering some more Scent Lok for him here soon. He can't get enough of it.

Anyone love the First Lite Catalyst jacket and bibs. Deciding between that and the Sitka Stratus set if I make another purchase. Anyone have both?
Had the First lite catalyst set, it was super nice. It gave me serious worries on not lasting long. I wore it once. Pulled a couple threads out on them walking through normal brush. Sold them the next day.
Bought the stratus jacket and while it may not be perfect it seems like it will last longer. I was really bummed with first lites stuff that I tried. It all felt very well built but not at the same time. It was too expensive for me to test. I also have felt the same way with some Sitka pieces though.

My brother-in-law has had quality issues with First Lite. Had to send a few things back that fell apart quickly.

Back