• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SE Ohio

ThePennsylvanian

So I know how these threads go and how guys kinda look at the questions of people looking for "pointers" on where to hunt. I'm not trying to be THAT GUY.

However, I'm looking to hunt the coming muzzleloader season in Ohio this year. I'm probably going to stay east of Cambridge and west of St Clairsville, the I70 corridor. I can see on OnX there's quite a bit of public on that region.

So here it, I'm not looking for anyone's spots or even which public to go to. I'd like to have a chat about what pressure is like in the late season, or what the differences are between PA and OH if you've hunted both. Just simple non specific things, I'm not looking to take anyone's buck or spots or anything like that. I just don't know anyone from Ohio that hunts and just honestly want to have a conversation more than anything..

During rut and shotgun there is a ton of people. Anytime outside that, few hunters, esp during muzzleloader. Low deer density as in most of Ohio so you won't see a lot of deer. Egypt Valley is absolutely a huge wildlife area 18,000 acres. Lots of autumn olive, multiflora rose, very thick with some open grassland and some woodland. It is an old mining area so lots of highwalls and ponds. Very different than "typical" PA open mountain woodlands.

Cambridge can hardly be considered SE ohio .. its more east central...and I used to live just outside of Cambridge. Muzzleloader doesn't get hit too hard as its hard to do drives with them and most hunters are either have got the deer they wanted by now or dont want to deal with the weather.

Cambridge can hardly be considered SE ohio .. its more east central...and I used to live just outside of Cambridge. Muzzleloader doesn't get hit too hard as its hard to do drives with them and most hunters are either have got the deer they wanted by now or dont want to deal with the weather.
Noted, however I was using it as my western extreme....

During rut and shotgun there is a ton of people. Anytime outside that, few hunters, esp during muzzleloader. Low deer density as in most of Ohio so you won't see a lot of deer. Egypt Valley is absolutely a huge wildlife area 18,000 acres. Lots of autumn olive, multiflora rose, very thick with some open grassland and some woodland. It is an old mining area so lots of highwalls and ponds. Very different than "typical" PA open mountain woodlands.
Got it, I was concentrating my online efforts on Egypt valley. I was looking into the wayne NF but I'm having to rethink my idea of hunting the NF. It is very broken up compared to the Allegheny NF that I am used to.
The majority of what I hunt in WV is strip mining reclamation, very thick, very steep. So I sounds like that would be a good place fpr me to start!

I think the pressure on public is minimal since you can’t shoot a doe after the gun week. I doubt you will see many on public except for an occasional squirrel hunter.

Back