• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Season Warm up

Petrichor

Well, been a while guys. Been incredibly busy and honestly I don’t post much anywhere anymore. But I thought if y’all today when I had to do something with my bow.

As the story goes, several months ago we got our children chickens. Did the sucker move and got four chicks from tractor supply (PITA). Do yourself a favor and buy Pullets that are fully feathered. Anyway of the four supposedly sexed chicks we got two roosters.

I get off work at midnight and these two turds would have me up at 0500 with their welcome daylight song. Also, when you see an aggressive illegal city limit rooster peck a child it’s all over.

These pesky little spawns of Satan would also bully the hens and were nigh uncatchable. Then I remembered the invention of archery meme, the one where it says “I want to stab him, but he’s way over there”.

I grabbed Shadowfax (my Toelke Chinook, the Lord of all bows), and dispatched both roos in about 10 seconds. Sure it’s shooting fish in a barrel but good season practice, good discussions with kids about life and death, and also showing the kids that we eat what we kill.
D

Attachments

• IMG_7772.jpeg
    IMG_7772.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
So did you have those birds on cell cam or did you just set up on hot sign? :tearsofjoy:
Sign was fresh and kids were there asking me to please not hit the other chickens. Once that chest region cleared the sunflowers, I released. I did buy four more today from a farmer and they are all hens. Practice makes perfect?

Attachments

• IMG_2356.jpeg
    IMG_2356.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 32
Well, been a while guys. Been incredibly busy and honestly I don’t post much anywhere anymore. But I thought if y’all today when I had to do something with my bow.

As the story goes, several months ago we got our children chickens. Did the sucker move and got four chicks from tractor supply (PITA). Do yourself a favor and buy Pullets that are fully feathered. Anyway of the four supposedly sexed chicks we got two roosters.

I get off work at midnight and these two turds would have me up at 0500 with their welcome daylight song. Also, when you see an aggressive illegal city limit rooster peck a child it’s all over.

These pesky little spawns of Satan would also bully the hens and were nigh uncatchable. Then I remembered the invention of archery meme, the one where it says “I want to stab him, but he’s way over there”.

I grabbed Shadowfax (my Toelke Chinook, the Lord of all bows), and dispatched both roos in about 10 seconds. Sure it’s shooting fish in a barrel but good season practice, good discussions with kids about life and death, and also showing the kids that we eat what we kill.
D
Man those look tasty!!

How did you go about scouting for and patterning the cocks instead of just the hens? Track size? Glassing?

How did you go about scouting for and patterning the cocks instead of just the hens? Track size? Glassing?
In the wee morning hours I tracked the source of the sound to two of the four birds. Bleary eyed mornings a repeated scouting trips found the birds responsible. Then using the natural treated fence boards to stalk them till their eventual doom. The arrows found their mark after being propelled from the great bow and slew the great foes instantly. A cry echoed in the valley during the morning hours and the dew covered grass dripped with blood. The children cried at the death of their pets and mom and dad gave a sigh of relief.

Then after the deed was done, dad contacted a farmer and bought 4 new hens. The tears dried and mom and dad set down to a 100 dollar chicken dinner.

In the wee morning hours I tracked the source of the sound to two of the four birds. Bleary eyed mornings a repeated scouting trips found the birds responsible. Then using the natural treated fence boards to stalk them till their eventual doom. The arrows found their mark after being propelled from the great bow and slew the great foes instantly. A cry echoed in the valley during the morning hours and the dew covered grass dripped with blood. The children cried at the death of their pets and mom and dad gave a sigh of relief.

Then after the deed was done, dad contacted a farmer and bought 4 new hens. The tears dried and mom and dad set down to a 100 dollar chicken dinner.
Man, you're hunting the descendants of velociraptors. Maybe you should punch up your writing a touch to reflect the awesome gravity of this hunt....

Back