• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Secondary lineman's

lpv77

I was just reading someone mentioned using 1/8" amsteel. What's the consensus on the 7/64". I have that. Just to go around limbs.

I believe The National tree climbing guide says the minum strength on webbing and ropes is 5400 lbs.

Yes people are trying to go smaller and pushing the limit with smaller and lighter strength rope however you are putting yourself and others at risk. There is rope wear, age of the rope that all come into play.
Anytime you are using a secondary linesman belt to by pass branches it becomes your primary lineman’s an rope.

Below is the link to the chart strength of Amsteel

http://www.samsonrope.com/Pages/Product.aspx?ProductID=872

Last edited:
Keep in mind that a linesman's belt isn't a true fall protection device, it's a work positioning device. It "should" hold you against a tree in the event of a fall, but it's not a guarantee. Look at the pole training video DaveT has posted where a guy gaffs out and falls from the top to the bottom.

If you were only going to lean on it for 5 seconds to go around a limb I think it'd be fine, and the risk minimal. Anything more and you're greatly increasing your risk.

I use my tether I dont think im going to carry anymore than i have to
This is my thought. Although I would consider using my tether as my linesman belt with only the amsteel for going around limbs. When I get to hunting height I would use the amsteel as my linesman while I swapped my rope from linesman to tether. Debating if this hassle worth the savings on weight and bulk.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is my thought. Although I would consider using my tether as my linesman belt with only the amsteel for going around limbs. When I get to hunting height I would use the amsteel as my linesman while I swapped my rope from linesman to tether. Debating if this hassle worth the savings on weight and bulk.....

That’s not a bad idea there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a terrible idea. I could see how having separate ropes is a good thing though.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I'll stick with the Sampson Predator rope that came with the Kestrel . I really like that rope and it works great with my ropeman 1.

I just ordered a riggers belt last night so I can put the triangle buckle in my kestrel. If climbing with redsquirrel/wildedge hybrid method, the tether (aider) and primary linemans are already in use. I tried clipping my bridge into a carabiner on the tether while moving the primary lineman's around a branch. It works okay, but doesn't hold me as tightly to the tree. A secondary belt would be better. But the riggers belt clipped onto the step at waist level could also work. It's another option. I'm not sure which is better. It would only work with Wildedge steps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is a great idea. I don't think it would be a hassle at all. I already have the whoopie lineman's hooked to my harness and stuffed in the same little sack that holds my primary lineman's (which is also already hooked on one side of the harness). My tether has a Ropeman and a Prusik because I am using a sitdrag and climbing harness. The Prusik is used to hook into the harness as a backup in case my bridge ever fails. So, I would be literally only be relying on the whoopie for 30 seconds at the most because I would clip my harness into the prusik immediately. At the point I have redundancy, and I am safe to take my time and get the sitdrag in place.

However, there is comfort in having a tether and lineman's belt that are basically constructed the same way. You have a backup if one fails, or you drop it, lose it or forget it at the truck. I suppose it could always be stuffed in the backpack.

Back