• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Security Camera Advice

Nutterbuster

SH Member
I'm looking to install a security camera at the road-side of my quarter-mile drive to watch my mail box. I currently have a Eufy wireless system (a homebase and 3 wireless motion-triggered cameras) that watch the house. Love them so far. I pay no monthly fees, the cameras save footage automatically to the homebase in my house, and I can pop on the app whenever I want and keep an eye in real-time on my yard and home.

I want to be able to do that, but a quarter of a mile from my router. Again, the criteria are:

• no fees
  • local storage (no sd card to steal in the camera)
  • remote monitoring (I can sit on my couch or my buddy's couch and look at my mailbox.
Anybody hoe this row in the past? I'm thinking my best option may be to just run a quarter mile of cable to the location. But is there a system where I can have a hardwired camera that I can monitor on my phone and save footage?

Are you talking a literal quarter mile, because ethernet has a limit of 328ft. Now, you could go over, but degradation may happen, which is not good with cameras. Do you have power at the mailbox? Line of sight for point to point wireless?

Are you talking a literal quarter mile, because ethernet has a limit of 328ft. Now, you could go over, but degradation may happen, which is not good with cameras. Do you have power at the mailbox? Line of sight for point to point wireless?
330 yards. Close to line of sight. Too far for PoE. Don't have power but could possibly have it ran to location if my neighbor was willing to let me tie in to his guest shed. I imagine he would be since anybody on the camera would be of interest to him as well.

330 yards. Close to line of sight. Too far for PoE. Don't have power but could possibly have it ran to location if my neighbor was willing to let me tie in to his guest shed. I imagine he would be since anybody on the camera would be of interest to him as well.
You don't happen to have a Unifi router, do you? If so, you could extend the network with this, and connect a Eufy camera back into it since you're happy with those. https://store.ui.com/us/en/pro/category/all-wifi/products/ubb

You don't happen to have a Unifi router, do you? If so, you could extend the network with this, and connect a Eufy camera back into it since you're happy with those. https://store.ui.com/us/en/pro/category/all-wifi/products/ubb
Negative. I did install a Deco system to extend wifi out to my gate camera about 75 yards away from my house (https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Deco-Outdoor-X50-Outdoor-Weatherproof/dp/B0BKPRCS6W). Seems to work well. But I'm within the return window if I can find something that will cover the yard and the mailbox.

I'm pretty tech ignorant. If I bought what you're showing, plus the router you mentioned, would it provide wifi all along the length of the bridge I made? Or just at the terminus? And would the unit at the mailbox be self-contained? IE just install an outdoor outlet, plug it in, have internet?

I'm looking to install a security camera at the road-side of my quarter-mile drive to watch my mail box. I currently have a Eufy wireless system (a homebase and 3 wireless motion-triggered cameras) that watch the house. Love them so far. I pay no monthly fees, the cameras save footage automatically to the homebase in my house, and I can pop on the app whenever I want and keep an eye in real-time on my yard and home.

I want to be able to do that, but a quarter of a mile from my router. Again, the criteria are:

• no fees
  • remote monitoring (I can sit on my couch or my buddy's couch and look at my mailbox.
Anybody hoe this row in the past? I'm thinking my best option may be to just run a quarter mile of cable to the location. But is there a system where I can have a hardwired camera that I can monitor on my phone and save footage?
Running the cable is your best bet for good connection and reliability. I used to wire security systems on the side of doing commercial access control for oilfield plants. I can tell you if you can afford it go pelco PTZ with samurai cable no plan at all but it might cost you 10K+. But seriously, I’ve done a few houses with long runs one was about 1100 yds and yep cable run is the best bet I’d suggest doing it yourself it’s not hard bc someone like me would cost at least an arm. On another note if you go wireless get Starlink and you’ll have Wi-Fi literally anywhere in the continental US unless your on some bodies of water lol I’d avoid wireless all together, if it were worth a crap it would popular on the industrial side and it’s not at all and anyone I’ve wired systems for whose anyone run hardline cable, there’s things you can put in place with cable to make it nearly unhackable or completely so. ALL wireless can be hacked with quite some ease to particular minds.

ALL wireless can be hacked with quite some ease to particular minds.
The minds I'm up against down here couldn't even spell my name correctly when they forged my signature on a check they stole from my mailbox. They may throw rocks, but that's about all they're capable of. Meth's a heckuva drug.

@LAKY, I'll check out the TP-Link stuff. Thanks.

The minds I'm up against down here couldn't even spell my name correctly when they forged my signature on a check they stole from my mailbox. They may throw rocks, but that's about all they're capable of. Meth's a heckuva drug.

@LAKY, I'll check out the TP-Link stuff. Thanks.
:tearsofjoy: Yeah it’s not the meth heads around me/anywhere I’m worried about lol but I get what you’re saying lol

• no fees
cable won't work past 100meters. fiber/power is needed. LOS antennas another option, but power still needed. cheapest route is a cellcam

Last edited:
Back