• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Self filming hunts

phatkaw

SH Member
You guys have any pictures or tips?
I’ve been wanting to film hunts forever and finally have a little bit of equipment to do it...

8CD36C81-6562-4838-8127-93D94A99AB9B.png

Like terp said, get you a remote. The genesis 3d bracket and switching the bolt out on the base for a pin are nice upgrades.

I've been thinking... (uh oh)

I could take some videos, even videos of nothing might help, just to watch on the computer to see how i can improve on smoothness, centering on things, and when to zoom in or out. Stuff like that???

Just plain ol' practice...

Remote is a must. I also recommend a GoPro for second angle, may pick up what you miss. I plan to get some practice in the yard with the kids, dog, squirrels, etc running around. Just to help get used to focusing, following smoothly, keeping the subject in frame, etc.

I love the idea of it, but the joint closest to the tree is the one I want to be the tightest.

Ok, so where's a good place to get a remote?
Are they called 'camera remotes' ?

I have thought about it, and tried it, and quit, and have thought about it again and again.

I feel like I would really enjoy having my hunts and time in the outdoors captured to reflect on later. The current Youtube stars certainly romanticize the experience. I have young kids and it would be fun to get a lot of their experiences captured somehow too. BUT, and this is a big BUT in my opinion. Every time I have tried to go down the path of filming my hunts, the experience has changed. It's no longer about being present, it's about capturing the present through the eye of an electronic. I don't know, it just loses something for me. The turning point for me was when I killed a doe a couple of years ago and was focused more on the camera than on teaching my son and experiencing it with him.

I think, for my goals, I'm going to start with a journal. I want something to be able to give my kids one day so that they can reflect on (or not). I think that will be more meaningful than some halfway done youtube videos in lieu of being present in the experience...

^^^ THANKS.
I like how you put that...

My main reason I guess is some of the great things I see in the woods. I'm not the best story teller and it's tough to give 'a feel' for two big bucks fighting over a doe, or being face-to-face with a bear, or a gobbler strutting right at your feet...

There's been soo many times that I would've traded in my shotgun or bow for a camera.

I have thought about it, and tried it, and quit, and have thought about it again and again.

I feel like I would really enjoy having my hunts and time in the outdoors captured to reflect on later. The current Youtube stars certainly romanticize the experience. I have young kids and it would be fun to get a lot of their experiences captured somehow too. BUT, and this is a big BUT in my opinion. Every time I have tried to go down the path of filming my hunts, the experience has changed. It's no longer about being present, it's about capturing the present through the eye of an electronic. I don't know, it just loses something for me. The turning point for me was when I killed a doe a couple of years ago and was focused more on the camera than on teaching my son and experiencing it with him.

I think, for my goals, I'm going to start with a journal. I want something to be able to give my kids one day so that they can reflect on (or not). I think that will be more meaningful than some halfway done youtube videos in lieu of being present in the experience...
Very well said. I have had the same thoughts but the reason I continue to carry a camera with me isn't for the deer I want to kill but for all the other deer and experiences I can capture.

Also if you do get a shooter at range and can film him it gives the chance to review what he was doing and get multiple chance to understand what and why he was doing it.

I think if you can learn to ditch the camera when it will cost you a deer it is a valuable tool and and is just another fun challenge to add to the mix.

Having a camera in the tree has helped my wife and family understand my passion and the experiences you have in the woods that just aren't the same as when you tell them about it....

But I agree with what you said. If it's taking away from the moment or taking away from the experience with a hunting partner its worst thing you could have with you.

I used to film a lot myself and hopefully will start again this year. I've always enjoyed filming the hunt and looking back at them, but editing and making them "pretty" for others to view is painful to me and thus I don't do it...

I don't know if I'll even try to learn how to edit anything I capture on film.
Hell, I still don't know how to copy and paste... lol

I'm pretty heartless when it comes to certain things. Not knowing copy and paste is forgivable.

BUT!!!!

I wish it was federal law that anyone that select 'reply all' to emails get slap in the face.

Last edited:
I've been thinking for awhile now about self filming my hunts and finally decided to go for it. So this weeks project at work will be to fab up an aluminum camera arm and tree bracket. Then I'll pick up an inexpensive camcorder and play around with it for this season to see if it's worth the hassle of carrying the extra gear. The getting an arrow through a deer will always be the priority over getting a good video of what's going on.

What I'm not sure of is where do you think it's best to mount the arm when in the tree? I'm a right handed shooter so my left side is my strong side and preferred shooting direction and rotation around the tree. Would the right side of tree be the best location? And what about height if I need to shoot the weak side? Place arm hip high?

DIY Bowhunter (?) has some good YouTube videos with filming info.
He has a ship load of videos so you might not find the ones you want right away but keep looking 'cause he has got it down pretty good...

Back