• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Set up for a tether and rappelling out

Andrew920

SH Member
I’m in need of some experienced advice. Last year my hunting set up was 3 climbing sticks, a platform, and an 8’ tether. I’ve decided this year I want to rappel down instead of climbing down my sticks. Im not interested in changing my method of getting up the tree at this point.

What I’m wondering is if people with experience thing this set would be a good place to start as a tether and way to rappel out of the tree..
It consists of:
30’ 8mm Oplux rope
F4 descender
30’ dyneema pull cord.

I’m aware of the other posts about this system and it’s difficulties if used in climbing.

Attachments

• 576756B2-13B3-474B-9BF8-F198996CE974.jpeg
    576756B2-13B3-474B-9BF8-F198996CE974.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 58
Yep. I rappel whether I’m 1 sticking or not. Da first way I know to negative climbing down in the dark. It’s really no different than rappelling with any climbing method. You just gotta stop three to four times on the way down.

I use my rappel tether as my only tether. I store my rope in a drop out back made by Custom Gear Modifications. It tends the tag end of the rope perfectly while in the tree hunting. It doesn’t get it the way at all. I’d highly recommend it.

I tether in once on my first stick and use my lineman’s as usual. I just advance my tether as I go. Safe and maybe 30 seconds longer than just climbing with a lineman’s belt.

I’d just add a friction back up…….but I like redundancy. I don’t know your device, but it looks sweet! Does it hold if you let go? You just need to be able to stop, to disconnect your sticks on he way down. I use an ATC and a friction hitch holds it like a brake hand so I can work hands free. If your device does that, I’d say your golden!

just some food for thought- using a single rope for both your tether and rappel is going to present a trade off that you may already be aware of. for a tether to be as safe as possible it ought to be dynamic rope. for a rappel line to function optimally it ought to be static rope. either you accept the risk of falling on a static tether line, or you accept the downsides of rappelling on a dynamic line. not sure if the oplux is static or dynamic rope, just want to offer the info for your consideration.

just some food for thought- using a single rope for both your tether and rappel is going to present a trade off that you may already be aware of. for a tether to be as safe as possible it ought to be dynamic rope. for a rappel line to function optimally it ought to be static rope. either you accept the risk of falling on a static tether line, or you accept the downsides of rappelling on a dynamic line. not sure if the oplux is static or dynamic rope, just want to offer the info for your consideration.
I appreciate the response I hadn’t thought of that. The Oplux rope is static. Your response caused me to dig a little and I feel comfortable with the risk based on my style of climbing and hunting.

I’d just add a friction back up…….but I like redundancy. I don’t know your device, but it looks sweet! Does it hold if you let go? You just need to be able to stop, to disconnect your sticks on he way down. I use an ATC and a friction hitch holds it like a brake hand so I can work hands free. If your device does that, I’d say your golden!
Yep it holds if you let go. I can’t take any credit NY Saddle hunter came up with this set up, sells it on his site (or their site rather). I was just looking for feedback on the items cause while I saddle hunt and have rappelled before I’ve never done them together.

I’m in need of some experienced advice. Last year my hunting set up was 3 climbing sticks, a platform, and an 8’ tether. I’ve decided this year I want to rappel down instead of climbing down my sticks. Im not interested in changing my method of getting up the tree at this point.

What I’m wondering is if people with experience thing this set would be a good place to start as a tether and way to rappel out of the tree..
It consists of:
30’ 8mm Oplux rope
F4 descender
30’ dyneema pull cord.

I’m aware of the other posts about this system and it’s difficulties if used in climbing.
I have tried the F4 and it's nice but I like the FCX . I have the Madrock and the GRIGRI PLUS which I use. I used the GRIGRI most of the time. I'm waiting on a FCX that I ordered to come in along with 40 feet of 8mm Oplux. I have both Canyon Elite and Canyon C-IV rope that I use with the GRIGRI. The setup you have will work fine. You might also want to get a Flexi OHM tether locker from Innovating the outdoors .

Last edited:

A tether should be static rope. It is always loaded and is not designed to catch a fall but to prevent it. Dynamic rope is not meant for hanging on with a constant load.

There is a reason every premade tether sold is static.

Last edited:
A tether should be static rope. It is always loaded and is not design to catch a fall but to prevent it. Dynamic rope is not meant for having on with a constant load.

This^^^

A tether should be static rope. It is always loaded and is not designed to catch a fall but to prevent it. Dynamic rope is not meant for hanging on with a constant load.

I might be missing something but this rope is static.

I have tried the F4 and it's nice but I like the FCX . I have the Madrock and the GRIGRI PLUS which I use. I used the GRIGRI most of the time. I'm waiting on a FCX that I ordered to come in along with 40 feet of 8mm Oplux. I have both Canyon Elite and Canyon C-IV rope that I use with the GRIGRI. The setup you have will work fine. You might also want to get a Flexi OHM tether locker from Innovating the outdoors .
Why do you like the FCX more?

Ummm no. If you're falling more than a foot on your tether you're doing something wrong..
Edit....jphilips said what I was thinking.

Last edited:
Do you already have 8mm rappel rope? I'm using 9mm ( canyon elite, i think) with a Maddock but I might be swayed to switch if the 8mm packs up better, well quite a bit better

Thanks

Do you already have 8mm rappel rope? I'm using 9mm ( canyon elite, i think) with a Maddock but I might be swayed to switch if the 8mm packs up better, well quite a bit better

Thanks

An 8mm rope will have about 80% the volume of a 9mm rope..... Is the 20% savings worth it? I use 8mm.... If I were buying new rope, sure, but I would not replace rope for a 20% savings..... given it is pretty small anyway....

An 8mm rope will have about 80% the volume of a 9mm rope..... Is the 20% savings worth it? I use 8mm.... If I were buying new rope, sure, but I would not replace rope for a 20% savings..... given it is pretty small anyway....
You're right, if buying new I'd be more conscious of the size. I might just cut 10 feet off my rappel line, I'm never going to use all 40' of it anyway. I rarely get 20' feet up

I use 33’. On most trees that will put my tether at 32-33’. That’s plenty high enough. But, with most of my hunting being a stick bow, I rarely get over 20’. Most times in the 15-16’ range.

I use 33’. On most trees that will put my tether at 32-33’. That’s plenty high enough. But, with most of my hunting being a stick bow, I rarely get over 20’. Most times in the 15-16’ range.

Most hunting to me should be <20 ft..... Where I am if you go to high you cannot shoot down through the canopy.... 30 ft is really high for hunting....

Back