• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Setup above a leaner?

bfriendly

So I’m heading to KY next weekend to my cousins property which is pretty much set up. He has maybe a dozen leaners, most overlooking bait or sweet food plots. I sat in several last year and 1 felt good as the corn was on my left…..I know I know corn blah blah. The rest were terrible and all I could do was look for a tree to climb in my saddle, which I found several but not a lot.
Quite frankly I hate them(leaners) and would rather be in a ground blind, which I just bought along with a swivel chair…..hope they get here quick!
I’m thinking of climbing a leaner then tether up, set up platform and hang above the leaner. Seems weird to me and wondering if anyone has done something similar. Some of the sweetest places I saw didn’t have a tree to climb with my one stick and I don’t like the idea of clearing off any branches above a set up leaner……scratching my head here

So leaner is a ladder stand? If so, I remember John Eberhart talking about taking a big wary doe early in his career by climbing above a friend's ladder stand and getting on the back of the tree. The doe had the habit of coming out and looking dead at that stand to see if anyone was in it. If so, then she would blow and stomp and make a fuss. John just waited for her to eyeball the empty stand, decide the coast was clear and go to feeding. Then he eased around the tree and put an arrow through her.

I do it all the time. I have to in certain situations where I'm sitting behind hunters.

You can do it with sitters and squatters, but I'm not sure about leaners :laughing:

Just kidding around. I share ladders in the way that you describe. No reason not too so long as you can make it work. Just make sure to leave your platform above the other stand so that the other hunters are constantly reminded of how saddle hunting is superior to their caveman methods.

So leaner is a ladder stand? If so, I remember John Eberhart talking about taking a big wary doe early in his career by climbing above a friend's ladder stand and getting on the back of the tree. The doe had the habit of coming out and looking dead at that stand to see if anyone was in it. If so, then she would blow and stomp and make a fuss. John just waited for her to eyeball the empty stand, decide the coast was clear and go to feeding. Then he eased around the tree and put an arrow through her.
Yes, a leaner is a ladder and vice versa….HuntStand calls it a leaner. I’m kinda thinking the same thing on the empty leaner means the coast is clear kind of thought too. Besides having better shooting opportunities, I feel much safer too.

I feel like deer learn where permanent stands are located and know to check them for danger. They are very in tune with their surroundings.

I’ve done this and it’s been effective

The deer would look down the row and see if anybody was sitting in the ladder stand & if ur there, they would swing wide

So I started climbing the ladder and then running sticks about 10ft up above it and hanging on the backside

The deer would check and not avoid the area

I killed several from that set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like deer learn where permanent stands are located and know to check them for danger. They are very in tune with their surroundings.

Absolutely. Or they learn to just avoid those spots completely. It's not so much the stand they avoid, but the pressure from hunters that use them too frequently.

Absolutely. Or they learn to just avoid those spots completely. It's not so much the stand they avoid, but the pressure from hunters that use them too frequently.
Definitely if the spots are overhunted or hunted with the wrong wind. The deer get educated quick.

Im gonna keep looking for trees to climb, but y’all got me thinking. There are quite a few stands, and I don’t know that they get too much pressure. But setting up close to an Empty Stand sounds like a good strategy.

Back