• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sh1kar & Monarch Video Review

valerio024

I’ve been using the Sh1kar with the Monarch for a few weeks now and I finally finished my video. At the end of the day I found the stock flat strap difficult to use so I started searching for alternatives which are highlighted in the video. The best option I found was a 1/8" Amsteel rope mod from Trevor Byrd at Custom Amsteel Products. I also go over how to attach and use a Schaefer cam cleat with the Sh1kar. Thanks for watching!

Great video. Very thorough. I agree that the flat part of the Monarch doesn’t do much. Nothing that, my favorite, the angled Scout can do. I think it would be a great idea to lose the top stand off and make the top flat part of the monarch the stand off and make it about 4-5 inches on top. Have it welded to the stick for it to be rock solid. Have the V in the top flat part of the monarch set up where it makes the top part of the stick angle out off the tree just a little past parallel with the tree. That will make the stick form a wedge off the tree between the rope when you cinch it down. I think that will bite better and give you more foot room on top.

Very well explained and well done video. As a new saddle hunter, why do you need 40' of rope to repel 20' down. I've seen other video's that recommend 40' as well?

Always enjoy your reviews one of the best out there for all saddle hunting! I enjoy my slanted scout on my ultimate EWO and feel when he makes the model for that it would a better choice with the extra metal on top than his stick personally but then again I’m not sure if it would be benificial vs the regular angle scout. I lean personally and if I have to stand straight there is more than enough spacing in between the tree and the DANO standoffs to move around as I already have 2 ROS around tree and personally I have never ever had to maneuver completely around the tree to to make a shot just to the side

Nice review.Is the monarch big enough that you can just pivot and shoot to your weak side?

Very well explained and well done video. As a new saddle hunter, why do you need 40' of rope to repel 20' down. I've seen other video's that recommend 40' as well?

You need some rope for your knots and enough rope to girth hitch the tree. This takes more rope than you’d think especially if your in a bigger tree. I have one rappel rope that’s 36’ and I wish I’d made it a bit longer. Having too much rope is never an issue but having not enough is. The rope you use will also come into play. If you’re using an 8mm rope like oplux or resc tech there’s not going to be a big difference in weight or size going from 35’ to 50’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think I used 2' to tie the scaffold knot and it will take 3-5 feet to wrap around a typical tree in my area. So that's like 33-35' of usable rope. To be honest I rarely climb above 20' so I could probably comfortable use a 30-35' rope.

Always enjoy your reviews one of the best out there for all saddle hunting! I enjoy my slanted scout on my ultimate EWO and feel when he makes the model for that it would a better choice with the extra metal on top than his stick personally but then again I’m not sure if it would be benificial vs the regular angle scout. I lean personally and if I have to stand straight there is more than enough spacing in between the tree and the DANO standoffs to move around as I already have 2 ROS around tree and personally I have never ever had to maneuver completely around the tree to to make a shot just to the side
Thanks for watching. Have you ever tried one of the straight scouts?

Great video. Very thorough. I agree that the flat part of the Monarch doesn’t do much. Nothing that, my favorite, the angled Scout can do. I think it would be a great idea to lose the top stand off and make the top flat part of the monarch the stand off and make it about 4-5 inches on top. Have it welded to the stick for it to be rock solid. Have the V in the top flat part of the monarch set up where it makes the top part of the stick angle out off the tree just a little past parallel with the tree. That will make the stick form a wedge off the tree between the rope when you cinch it down. I think that will bite better and give you more foot room on top.
Sounds like what a lot of use wanted. If you’re going to have a flat, space it out from the trunk to allow the use of it.

It is not big enough to easily stand up on and position. You can certainly use it to push off and make a weak side shot while leaning into the saddle.
I put a Wild edge step to either side of my platform and feel that it gives great walk around or leaning options. And they are solid when tied properly

Back