• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Share Your Hunting Gear That ACTUALLY matters

BackSpasm

SH Member
Apr 10, 2019
Tennessee
All the gear emotional support threads and new gear release discussions got me thinking: I would love to hear what relatively recent purchases you have made that lead DIRECTLY to more deer on the ground. [mention]TNbowhunter [/mention] got me thinking about this a lot with his list of gear buying priorities. I can honestly say nothing I purchased in the last year except one trail camera led directly to deer dying that I wouldn’t have killed otherwise. However, there have been quite a few purchases in the last 5 years that have been so helpful in helping me kill more deer than I was.

1. Mobile set up (saddle and platform and climbing method for me)

2. Heavier tuned arrows with beefy broadhead (confidently took several lethal ground shots my old light set up and expandables would have struggled with)

3. Trail cameras to establish overall deer patterns which led directly to my #1 buck going down this year

4. Digital mapping app (onX for me)

Basically with some warm enough clothes, a way of some kind to hunt mobile, functioning weapon you are comfortable with, and some type of recon, I think your biggest barrier outside of access is just experience and time in the woods. All the rest of the gear is just comfort, convenience, or fun for me. Don’t fall into the “I need the new xxxx” to be successful. What do y’all think?

Maybe this thread will help some new guys with info overload and limited resources one we get some more “essential” lists

Reactions: TNbowhunter

Bowtie747

SH Member
Aug 3, 2021
Ohio
For me I’m kinda a saddle hunter stereotype. My saddle setup this year helped me tremendously. Neck problems lead me to not be able to sit long. A full days hunt would lead to several days of headaches, not a very good trade off. For whatever reason a saddle helped that. Hunted more and longer with no problems this year!

My next choice would be a good base layer. Lead to more comfortable sits all year. Leads to more hunts and being in a tree longer. Time leads to more deer down.

As far as other gear, can a set of sticks help kill a deer in any way? Or similar type gear buys? Maybe some think so but I’m not so sure. I’d like to see some guys explanations tho!

Im really trying this year to not get caught up in the gear. I shot a new bow the other day and man it shoots good but I can’t honestly say it would help my hunting at all so why buy it? Trying to keep this going this year but we shall see. Also trying to spend more money on actually hunting other than gear just to hunt.

Patriot

Feb 10, 2019
Treehopper drill for presets. I drilled a preset 45 yards from bedding in a swamp this spring. The bolts that were waiting for me in that tree months later allowed me to access Like a ninja with nothing but my predator and bow.

had my choice of two nice bucks that day but i muffed up and drew too early, platform also kicked out on me too… I have lots of excuses and sleepless nights lol.

point is I love scouting all spring with a Treehopper in my pocket and setting up my buck ambush sites.

deleted_user04

Nov 26, 2021
Switching to cell trail cameras help me in Kansas to get a nice public land buck. Left cameras out there from March until I got back in November. I put out five more cell cameras during my 18 days there. They did most of the work day and night. Pricey but worth every single penny in my opinion.

NimbleTimbo

SH Member
Dec 10, 2021
Manheim, PA
I bought a few things this year but doubt they influenced my success rate much. They were mostly to streamline my setup and be lighter, more compact for long hikes, and more comfortable. I would say upgrading my arrow rest to a Hamskea improved my confidence and consistency likely helping my success rate

Reactions: Plebe

MattMan81

SH Member
Jan 13, 2020
The Mitten
OnX pushed me out into public. Knowing where I can go made that enjoyable and me not as anxious about it.
A bow that fit me a little better made my accuracy increase which gave me more confidence.
Saddle hunting has made things more exciting. But for me I wouldn't say it made me more successful. But it has got me to try public some. Which has made me less successful. But has put more enjoyment in hunting.
All the tinkering is fun. But starting to feel like I am wasting money to gain minamal improvements.

Reactions: WISCO and BackSpasm

Westdesign03

SH Member
Nov 3, 2019
Ohio
Ive only gotten 1 buck so far and that was in 2019. What got me in the right place for it was a set of WE steps and a LW Assault hang on stand. The way this tree angled I feel would have been difficult at best with climbing sticks or any other climbing method, except maybe bolts. But it was public land so not legal (and I don’t like the idea of drilling into trees. Call me a tree hugger I guess.)

I’ve since switched up the stand for a Helo and love that stand even more. I still keep a set of WE steps around. Though they aren’t the most convenient all the time, they are a lot more fun to carry than climbing sticks to me and they still have a good place and purpose in my gear, especially in the jacked up trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DB4x4

Jul 25, 2018
As far as other gear, can a set of sticks help kill a deer in any way? Or similar type gear buys? Maybe some think so but I’m not so sure. I’d like to see some guys explanations tho!

When changing from a climber to a saddle and sticks, which is what I did 5 years ago, the answer is yes. Tree selection isn't nearly as limited and the sticks, or in my case now, a single stick with a platform top, allow you to hunt deer instead of trees.

Switching to a saddle and sticks made me immediately more successful because I could hunt where the deer actually were, not just where the telephone pole trees were.

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
Treehopper drill for presets. I drilled a preset 45 yards from bedding in a swamp this spring. The bolts that were waiting for me in that tree months later allowed me to access Like a ninja with nothing but my predator and bow.

had my choice of two nice bucks that day but i muffed up and drew too early, platform also kicked out on me too… I have lots of excuses and sleepless nights lol.

point is I love scouting all spring with a Treehopper in my pocket and setting up my buck ambush sites.
Treehopper drill and bolts are great. I used to use them all the time on private land. I don't get to use them too much anymore since I hunt 95% public. I still use them on what private I have.

Have you considered presetting a ring of steps and skipping the platform? Then all you would have to do is climb, tether in and hunt.

OspreyZB

SH Member
Feb 11, 2019
New Jersey
For me this season it was cold weather gear. Specifically duckworth comet base layers, primaloft gold puffy jacket and pants, a wool coat with windblocker, then alpaca wool gloves, socks, insoles, and an extra pair of old wool socks to put chemical hand warmers in and pull on over top of my boots. This combo kept me comfortable sitting in temps down to the single digits with wind chills below zero.

In the past I've usually only hunted for the last few hours in the evenings during the late season and maybe an occasional morning here and there. After analyzing some trail camera data I realized more than half of the daylight pictures I have of big bucks in the late season were late morning to early afternoon, like 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. especially after a couple really cold days in a row. These were cameras that soaked for the entire 2020 season in and around bedding areas. The bucks weren't getting up and making big moves; just using the warmest part of the day to conserve energy and fill their belly's with browse. I did a lot of long sits (6+ hours) in brutal cold temps during the month of January and it payed off when I shot my buck mid-day on the last day of our winter bow season.

Screenshot_20220201-134639.jpg

Last edited:

Plebe

SH Member
Sep 14, 2020
For me this season it was cold weather gear. Specifically duckworth comet base layers, primaloft gold puffy jacket and pants, a wool coat with windblocker, then alpaca wool gloves, socks, insoles, and an extra pair of old wool socks to put chemical hand warmers in and pull on over top of my boots. This combo kept me comfortable sitting in temps down to the single digits with wind chills below zero.

In the past I've usually only hunted for the last few hours in the evenings and an occasional morning during the late season. After analyzing some trail camera data I realized more than half of the daylight pictures I have of big bucks in the late season where late morning to early afternoon, like 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. especially after a couple really cold days in a row. These were cameras that soaked for the entire 2020 season in and around bedding areas. The bucks weren't getting up and making big moves; just using the warmest part of the day to conserve energy and fill their belly's with browse. I did a lot of long sits (6+ hours) in brutal cold temps during the month of January and it payed off when I shot my buck mid-day on the last day of our winter bow season.

View attachment 61726

I always find alot of these posts extremely anecdotal (e.g. No way I could have gotten him with a twizzle stick, etc.), but not yours. More, and more efficient time afield contribute to improved odds of success, and the right gear can support that.

Congrats on the nice buck. I like your cold weather gear selections too.

TNbowhunter

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Middle Tennessee
Ororo heated vest and BoneView electric hand warmer both enable me to hunt colder days than I otherwise could. More fidget-free hours afield = more opportunities to kill deer.

Reactions: BackSpasm

katiesmom

SH Member
Aug 21, 2020
East Alabama
I don't know that I can call this website and all of yall as gear, per se, but I will say there is no question this site has really MATTERED in terms of the gear I have now, and the tactics I use. As Red Beard posted, mentors.
And I agree with BackSpasms list, except I don't have cameras.

BackSpasm

SH Member
Apr 10, 2019
Tennessee
I always find alot of these posts extremely anecdotal (e.g. No way I could have gotten him with a twizzle stick, etc.), but not yours. More, and more efficient time afield contribute to improved odds of success, and the right gear can support that.

Congrats on the nice buck. I like your cold weather gear selections too.

Agreed! Everyone try to really evaluate if you needed x item to be successful. Not, well I was more confident or content or accurate, did you NEED it. Might be helpful to think in categories or types of gear more than specific models or brands. The cold weather example is a good one where warmer clothes= longer sits

Reactions: Plebe

Fl Canopy Stalker

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Feb 4, 2021
I have a ton of gear, 3 or 4 different type of sticks, two hang ons, about 48 arrows, packs of broad heads that aren’t even open, no less than 2 of my own saddles, 4 Aerohunter saddles, a Cruzr XC, an old Trophyline Ambush, just picked up a side winder, platforms from barren ridge, lone wolf, XOP, the predator, and a ridge runner. I have two bows (hoyt rx5 and Bear Species LTD) 150’ of Samson predator rope, 40’ of sterling htp, ascenders, belays, tons of prusik cords 3 different sets of camo for the different types of weather (our hunting season could be mid 90’s one day and a high of 45 the next so it’s a variety) oh and processing gambles, sleds ect… My wife is so upset when she looks through our hunting (and an equally large fishing section) that I have gathered through the years. Out of all that junk, the only thing I can honestly say ever truly helped me kill a deer was a bow and arrows. I have sat in a ghillie suit between a palm hammock and an oak hammock and shot them from the ground. Is it as nice or comfortable as a stand or saddle set up? No. Does it put me possibly over the scent trail or field of vision? No. Does the camo and scent crap help you get a little closer on days that it’s tougher to keep a sustained wind in my favor? Absolutely but if we are being 100% true with ourselves a pair of old pants and shirt hiding in some bushes with a rifle (ok we will include a shotgun or muzzleloader) or a cheap bow and arrow set up helps us kill game. People have been successfully using it for long before any of us were here. all of the rest comes from product promotion, and tapping into our drive for an easier, more comfortable, and more efficient way to hunt. So if this post is what truly helps you kill deer it’s your weapon everything else simply helps you get your weapon aimed on a deer easier. I mean any one who has ever drove down a county road at night knows you can kill a deer (In my best Ron White voice) “with a van, going 55mph with the headlights on and the horn blowing”. :sweatsmile:

BackSpasm

SH Member
Apr 10, 2019
Tennessee
I have a ton of gear, 3 or 4 different type of sticks, two hang ons, about 48 arrows, packs of broad heads that aren’t even open, no less than 2 of my own saddles, 4 Aerohunter saddles, a Cruzr XC, an old Trophyline Ambush, just picked up a side winder, platforms from barren ridge, lone wolf, XOP, the predator, and a ridge runner. I have two bows (hoyt rx5 and Bear Species LTD) 150’ of Samson predator rope, 40’ of sterling htp, ascenders, belays, tons of prusik cords 3 different sets of camo for the different types of weather (our hunting season could be mid 90’s one day and a high of 45 the next so it’s a variety) oh and processing gambles, sleds ect… My wife is so upset when she looks through our hunting (and an equally large fishing section) that I have gathered through the years. Out of all that junk, the only thing I can honestly say ever truly helped me kill a deer was a bow and arrows. I have sat in a ghillie suit between a palm hammock and an oak hammock and shot them from the ground. Is it as nice or comfortable as a stand or saddle set up? No. Does it put me possibly over the scent trail or field of vision? No. Does the camo and scent crap help you get a little closer on days that it’s tougher to keep a sustained wind in my favor? Absolutely but if we are being 100% true with ourselves a pair of old pants and shirt hiding in some bushes with a rifle (ok we will include a shotgun or muzzleloader) or a cheap bow and arrow set up helps us kill game. People have been successfully using it for long before any of us were here. all of the rest comes from product promotion, and tapping into our drive for an easier, more comfortable, and more efficient way to hunt. So if this post is what truly helps you kill deer it’s your weapon everything else simply helps you get your weapon aimed on a deer easier. I mean any one who has ever drove down a county road at night knows you can kill a deer (In my best Ron White voice) “with a van, going 55mph with the headlights on and the horn blowing”. :sweatsmile:

A fantastic perspective for someone with this much gear knowledge to not only say you don’t need it to kill deer, but to go so far as to call it junk hahahah!