• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shotshell reloading

Jason Wandling

Does anyone here reload shotgun ammo? I’m thinking about getting into it for turkey and predator loads but I’m not sure if the expense is worth it. From my calculations I can load around 200 rounds for $125-150 not including the press which is another $70. I’m looking at the Lee press.

I have a MEC SizeMaster with 12ga and 10ga dies. I think I ran the numbers on target loads, and if you included the cost of hulls, it ended up costing MORE than just buying cases when they went on sale.

Then I tried running numbers on hunting loads, and those didn't really seem much cheaper either.

The conclusion I came to for 12 ga was that it wasn't worth getting into for saving money. If you're using a more niche caliber (say 28ga or .410) then yeah you can definitely save some cash.

I do think there's value in having it even for 12ga if you're looking to do an uncommonly found or unavailable loading. Say, #1 bismuth for waterfowl, or some crazy TSS loads for turkey hunting (though a few companies now offer TSS loads). As with a rifle, it is there if you want to find the best performing load for your gun.

For me, I kept my press for that reason, and for the fact that I think 10ga is going away.

Not sure how familiar you are with shotgun reloading, but to me, the biggest thing that stuck out is how particular a load is. When I'm reloading for my handguns, I can use almost whatever brand case I want with whatever primer brand, so long as I keep OAL, powder and bullet the same. NOT SO with shotgun. Shotgun loads are very particular as to which hull, wad, primer, and (of course) powder is used. Steel also uses different charge bars, though it seems like the general consensus is that steel and steel powder flow and meter so poorly that it's just better to do so by hand.

Reloading for my shotguns is by no means cheaper but it is more consistent for what I shoot. Also as stated above it can help if you have a oddball gauge that you shoot.

For turkey it’s hard to beat the Kent and Remington Nitro is loads. They are $8-$10 for 10 rounds. Predator hunting loads are very hard to find though so that’s mainly what I’m wanting to load. I looked on ballistic products website and I can load nickel plated bb for around $1.50 or less per round. I can do it cheaper if I can buy powder locally and not pay the hazmat fee which is $33.

I have the load all 2 it’s not a bad little press for messing around with not in the same league as my fathers Dillon but it is more than adequate for figuring out if you even like it

Walmart sells the 100 pack of dove/target loads for $22. No savings in loading these. If you need heavy loads it might be worth it.

Walmart sells the 100 pack of dove/target loads for $22. No savings in loading these. If you need heavy loads it might be worth it.
Couldn’t get more true especially with the cost of lead shot I can say reloading is like saddle hunting in the fact you are essentially opening your wallet and screaming take my money on the way down the rabbit hole

I’m looking at the lee load all 2 press. It’s only $70.

You can probably pick up a used MEC 650 or even a Sizemaster for that price. I got my Sizemaster for about that much used, though I put an equal amount of money into it (was missing some parts). The Lee Load-All probably works well. But you won't be able to do things like 3.5" loads . The ability to convert to 3.5" (not that I shoot that often) and 10ga bought me to the MEC.

You can probably pick up a used MEC 650 or even a Sizemaster for that price. I got my Sizemaster for about that much used, though I put an equal amount of money into it (was missing some parts). The Lee Load-All probably works well. But you won't be able to do things like 3.5" loads . The ability to convert to 3.5" (not that I shoot that often) and 10ga bought me to the MEC.
I’m not a fan of 3.5” loads so it’s not an issue

You can reload turkey shells with nothing more than a roll crimp and a scale.

As stated above, forget the Lee and buy a Sizemaster, you will never regret the purchase.

The Sizemaster is easy to setup, crimps great, easily converts from 3" to 2-3/4", has automatic primer feed, and will properly size used hulls.

If you ever start loading in quantity, the MEC 9000 is the most efficient Rube Goldberg ever made.

I have the Lee and if you don't mind moving each shell by hand it works OK. Target loads are cheapest to buy at Walmart and I think only duck and geese hunters may need large quantities of high brass.

Back