• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sika Hunting

PEEJAY

SH Member
Any Marylanders want to get a few hunts organized in the swamp this year? Permits are going quick. They have a sportsman's package this year that gives you all the permits for 110 plus the 12 dollar fee. Not sure if there are any of those left but its a good deal compared to buying all of them separately, only have to pay the $12 fee once.

Interested, but know nothing about them/hunting them. I didn't think there was a separate permit, same hunting license, and blackwater was public? Giving away how little I know here though.

And I'd be hunting bow only, haven't made a muzzleloader or rifle purchase yet... Another reason why I haven't attempted solo sika yet

Have truck and interest, will travel if I can, as I would love to eat a sika deer, and would also like to meet some of the people here that I've learned from over the past few years

Interested, but know nothing about them/hunting them. I didn't think there was a separate permit, same hunting license, and blackwater was public? Giving away how little I know here though.

And I'd be hunting bow only, haven't made a muzzleloader or rifle purchase yet... Another reason why I haven't attempted solo sika yet

Have truck and interest, will travel if I can, as I would love to eat a sika deer, and would also like to meet some of the people here that I've learned from over the past few years
need a separate permit to hunt blackwater. recreation.gov will give you all the info.
it is public federal land. The bag limit didnt used to count towards MD bag limit but i believe it does now. you dont "need" a mountain bike but it definitely helps get back to where you hunt. invest in a thermacell if you dont have one. it will be impossible to hunt without one.

I have a bike that will be capable once I put a new derailleur on it, will buy a ThermaCELL and investigate blackwater more as I obviously don't know enough about it! That said, if a trip comes together I'd love to go, what I lack in skill I'll try to make up in helping carry/haul/drag/etc.

I have a bike that will be capable once I put a new derailleur on it, will buy a ThermaCELL and investigate blackwater more as I obviously don't know enough about it! That said, if a trip comes together I'd love to go, what I lack in skill I'll try to make up in helping carry/haul/drag/etc.
where in MD do you live?

Dang, this has been a bucket list item for a while for me. I put in for a bunch of elk tags and did not get drawn. Well this thread cost me some money! Got a buddy that is going to go. Looks like the E-Bike and boat are going to get a workout this year. Looks like it will be a Swamp Hunt in 3 different states.

What does a VA boy have to do to get in on this action? How far from VA Beach are ya'll hunting?

What does a VA boy have to do to get in on this action? How far from VA Beach are ya'll hunting?
It's about 3 hours from Va beach. You have to get a Maryland License, and any Bow or Muzzleloader stamp. I'm going bow only so it was 155 for the license and stamp. Then if you want to hunt in the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge then you need to get a permit from USFWS. I also got the Free Public Land Permit from MD. There are 2 WMA's there as well so a total of 55k acres to hunt. This will be my first year on Sika. The hunting is really tough from what I hear, but I tend to hunt more swamps then most.

Knee boots are great, hip boots are better. You need to be where it's wet.

If you try to hunt them like a whitetail, you may never see one.

The kill zone is about the size of a baseball and a wounded sika will make a wounded whitetail seem like a walk in the park. They do not go down easily and the fur soaks up blood like a sponge. This is one animal I would heavily consider shooting with a monster expandable.

They taste amazing, and three deboned critters will fit in a 30 pack cooler.

Not sure if assateague island is closer to you but they also have a pretty good sika population.

I have looked at that. I will probably hit it this year. I was thinking that an organized hunt might be a little more productive than me out kicking through the quagmire.

I have looked at that. I will probably hit it this year. I was thinking that an organized hunt might be a little more productive than me out kicking through the quagmire.

Lots of myrtle bushes. The guys I know that have hunted there used 6' ladders to sit on. Some modified, some not. And duel wheel wheelbarrows because they work great in the sand.

I'm not sure what the rules are but I heard they like jolly ranchers and life savors hanging from a string.

I can just see the person that has no idea walking through the woods and all the apple jolly ranchers being tied up by sewing thread. "That is one weird cult right there'

I can just see the person that has no idea walking through the woods and all the apple jolly ranchers being tied up by sewing thread. "That is one weird cult right there'

Takes all night to drill those holes....lol.

I think they hung the life savors and jollies went on the ground. Don't know that it could make a difference. Their head is less than 3' off the ground.

I'm in MD and while I've never hunted them I'd be interested in giving it a go this year... Seen a couple of videos on them and they look tough as hell to get with a bow.

Lots of myrtle bushes. The guys I know that have hunted there used 6' ladders to sit on. Some modified, some not. And duel wheel wheelbarrows because they work great in the sand.

I'm not sure what the rules are but I heard they like jolly ranchers and life savors hanging from a string.
No baiting on public in MD. Technically DNR can bop u for that but i wonder how much they would care. just do a little more scouting/patterning and you wont need to do that. I get pretty bothered with guys leaving slow release scent wicks and bait around on public. Its messing up hunters that spend the time to learn where their natural routes and food sources are.

Been discussing sikas alot lately. Seems 20+ have been taken at the federal refuge I grew up on, but it's hush, hush. I have seen one roadkill about four years ago. There has to be a small breeding population around one of those marsh islands. What makes these animals different......we are a long way from Dorchester County.
Funny, as the private land I hunt is on the marsh and very close. I'm setting a separate goal this year to hear my first roar in Delaware, locate one, and bow kill it. Looks like October is going to be really busy.

This is a bucket list item for me! Unfortunately, it won't be this year. I'm doing a truck/backpack rifle hunt for whitetail in northwestern PA. I'm going to try to make this happen next year...

Back