• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Simplified Wild Edge Knot

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member

This is a simplified method to make the knot which secures the Wild Edge steps to the tree. For me it really speeds up the time it takes to attach the steps. The final knot has exactly the same wraps as the traditional but using this approach eliminated the need to feed and pull the tag end of the rope thru the loops. I have the 8 foot ropes on my steps and found that in course of pulling the rope thru it often twisted and I would need to stop and straighten it out before pulling the knot tight. This seems to eliminate that twist.

This especially helps for installing the steps above your head if you're using the Wild Edge aider or the climbing method @Cain posted previously. Since the step is over your head pulling the loop down and thru is easy.

In fact I have to give credit to Cain for the inspiration for this when he demonstrated his knot untie method. I decided if you could untie by removing a single loop you should be able to tie in the reverse process. That's what this method does.

Hope this helps.

That is f'ing genius. I am going out right now in the pitch dark to try that. I just purchased two Steps the other day to play with them a bit. The twisting issues is fairly common. I also would like some longer ropes for mine. Genius..... How the hell did you figure that out?

Great idea. Same knot just tied differently. You must have been a boy scout.

What do you have on your step??

That is f'ing genius. I am going out right now in the pitch dark to try that. I just purchased two Steps the other day to play with them a bit. The twisting issues is fairly common. I also would like some longer ropes for mine. Genius..... How the hell did you figure that out?
I just reversed the untie method that was demonstrated in previous thread by Cain in his "How I use the Wild Edge" steps post.

Great idea. Same knot just tied differently. You must have been a boy scout.

What do you have on your step??
I've been using Cain's climbing method and I put a couple of raised areas of hockey stick tape on the bar and then taped over them. It quiets the carabiner on the bar and limits its ability to slide.

Okay, Just this in the pitch dark. Wild Edge owes you a royalty for every step they sell from now on :) I think I was able to fasten the step in ten seconds. You just solved a big issue for me. Thank you Boyne Bowhunter!
I've learned so much from everyone on this forum I feel like I owe some payback. This improved my step experience enough that I knew I had to share it.

Redsquirrel, if you are looking at this thread, this solves the tying above your head issue. I just went back outside to try it. No problem. Boyne, thank you again.

This may change my thoughts about how to setup the aider. I have been trying the RS version, and it works very well. But it does have a tendency to settle on me when I apply weight. Attaching to a step above my head would provide a solid platform to hook an aider. More testing when I have daylight.

Great video! I really need to pick up some of these steps. I’m glad y’all have figured out the best way to use them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just ordered 10 stepps today, mainly for platform use for my son and me. Will definitely be using this rope method. Thinking out loud about the noise from the caribiner, could a small loop of amsteel be tied on be an option to hook on to instead?

I just ordered 10 stepps today, mainly for platform use for my son and me. Will definitely be using this rope method. Thinking out loud about the noise from the caribiner, could a small loop of amsteel be tied on be an option to hook on to instead?

You could just girth hitch a small climbing runner to it.

The raised ends keep the biner from sliding as its attached. While I know it can't go anywhere it is definitely a little unnerving when the carabiner slides across the bar when its all that's holding you in the tree.:eek:

This is a simplified method to make the knot which secures the Wild Edge steps to the tree. For me it really speeds up the time it takes to attach the steps. The final knot has exactly the same wraps as the traditional but using this approach eliminated the need to feed and pull the tag end of the rope thru the loops. I have the 8 foot ropes on my steps and found that in course of pulling the rope thru it often twisted and I would need to stop and straighten it out before pulling the knot tight. This seems to eliminate that twist.

This especially helps for installing the steps above your head if you're using the Wild Edge aider or the climbing method @Cain posted previously. Since the step is over your head pulling the loop down and thru is easy.

In fact I have to give credit to Cain for the inspiration for this when he demonstrated his knot untie method. I decided if you could untie by removing a single loop you should be able to tie in the reverse process. That's what this method does.

Hope this helps.
Tying the knot is the thing I hate most about these steps. It takes too much fiddling and time. I guess I have to give this another try this spring but with an aider.

Last edited:

Hope this helps.
Brilliant! I will be giving this a try. I see the speeding up the setup time noticeably.

Thank you!

Haven’t tried it yet but I was set on selling my steps...might need to rethink it.

Back