• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Single stick with sewn eye

Grant1775

Should you use the sewn eye to single stick? Put the carabiner through the sewn eye around the tree instead of tieing a knot to the carabiner or would that be unsafe?

Do not tie in a carabiner due to cross loading issues that could occur. Tie in a delta link or quick link.

the issue with a sewn eye would be when you have to pass a branch while climbing. You would have to pull all of tether back thru the eye and then feed back thru eye above branch. If you are one sticking and rappelling with 30-40 foot of rope that transition around a branch could take awhile.

Do not tie in a carabiner due to cross loading issues that could occur. Tie in a delta link or quick link.

the issue with a sewn eye would be when you have to pass a branch while climbing. You would have to pull all of tether back thru the eye and then feed back thru eye above branch. If you are one sticking and rappelling with 30-40 foot of rope that transition around a branch could take awhile.
So if u you used a delta link in the sewn eye that would be okay?

So if u you used a delta link in the sewn eye that would be okay?

run the risk of the delta falling out of eye and dropping it. I would tie it in, but in theory it would work. In practice it would probably be a bit awkward with have the chance of watching a piece of your climbing system fall 20 feet. So probably less than ideal.

i disagree. i know everybody uses the delta link but i run a plain rope after starting off with a delta link and honestly think it takes about the same time. i feel like people havent tried both and just assume it takes a lot longer. I bunch up all the rope and slide it through my oversized loop real quick. unscrewing and screwing that link takes time. especially if you have gloves on.
The biggest reason i switched is the weight of the link doesnt keep my rope tight to the tree if it wiggles a little bit. Not worth the worries for me.

i disagree. i know everybody uses the delta link but i run a plain rope after starting off with a delta link and honestly think it takes about the same time. i feel like people havent tried both and just assume it takes a lot longer. I bunch up all the rope and slide it through my oversized loop real quick. unscrewing and screwing that link takes time. especially if you have gloves on.
The biggest reason i switched is the weight of the link doesnt keep my rope tight to the tree if it wiggles a little bit. Not worth the worries for me.

Can’t argue with that right there!

Try both and see what works for you.

Should you use the sewn eye to single stick? Put the carabiner through the sewn eye around the tree instead of tieing a knot to the carabiner or would that be unsafe?

A tight sewn eye and a carabiner is perfect for one-sticking...
Screenshot_20221212-173856_Gallery.jpg

If you weigh 450lbs and climb all the way to your platform without advancing your tether and slip you still wouldn't break the carabiner. But you might break your back?

Last edited:
I use a Scaffold Knot. It makes a sturdy loop that slides like a noose to fit snugly around a Delta link. If you don't like the weight of the link pulling down the rope use a gear tie, cloth pin, rubber washer, or you can buy a Flexi Ohm Teather Locker.

I use a Scaffold Knot. It makes a sturdy loop that slides like a noose to fit snugly around a Delta link. If you don't like the weight of the link pulling down the rope use a gear tie, cloth pin, rubber washer, or you can buy a Flexi Ohm Teather Locker.

Right but it's one more thing you have to adjust each time.
Do you leave that in place when you rappel? If you do it's not hard to pull down once your on the ground? If not, that's honestly the worst time for me to be dealing with it coming loose. At hunting height. I tried it with a little ball knot thingy always89 did but I just didn't find it any quicker or safer in the end. I dunno, not for me I guess. I also just hate trees with limbs and mostly hunt the same trees I would with a climber half the time anyway haha

I will say pulling down the rope is easier with a delta for all the same reasons i dont like em. Kinda tough sometimes with rope on rope

Back