• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sit Drag blind seat

Still Kicking

SH Member
I have some back and hip issues which probably result from stupidity and youthful pride and arrogance. I noticed a big improvement in comfort with my saddle hunting but at 72 years of age the cold forces me to wear more layers than I feel safe with up in a tree. I switched to the ground blind when the temps got into the 20s and started experiencing more painful sits. I decided to hang a sit drag in my homemade 6 foot hexagon wood framed ground blind, and hung a round cushion on the back wall for a lumbar support. I can't begin to explain the comfort of being slung and able to change foot position. It isn't the same as taking my doe on November16th with the bow in my saddle, but on December 4th I took a nice doe with my .44 Mag Super Redhawk while sitting in my ground blind in the Sit Drag. It actually isn't saddle hunting but it passes close for an old guy who loves to hunt in comfort!

Pretty sure there is no extra points for killing it from up in a tree. Doesn't change the flavor of the meat either. So cheers! Good work!

I have some back and hip issues which probably result from stupidity and youthful pride and arrogance. I noticed a big improvement in comfort with my saddle hunting but at 72 years of age the cold forces me to wear more layers than I feel safe with up in a tree. I switched to the ground blind when the temps got into the 20s and started experiencing more painful sits. I decided to hang a sit drag in my homemade 6 foot hexagon wood framed ground blind, and hung a round cushion on the back wall for a lumbar support. I can't begin to explain the comfort of being slung and able to change foot position. It isn't the same as taking my doe on November16th with the bow in my saddle, but on December 4th I took a nice doe with my .44 Mag Super Redhawk while sitting in my ground blind in the Sit Drag. It actually isn't saddle hunting but it passes close for an old guy who loves to hunt in comfort!

I did something similar and for the same reasons. My sit drag is attached to the tree my ladder stand is attached to. I sit backwards with my back to the tree and can swivel for the shot. The seat in the ladder causes much pain and discomfort. Sit drag gives me all day comfort. Ladder is awesome for safety getting into the stand, which is becoming another problem for this“older” saddle hunter. Adapt and survive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also use a cheap camping hammock in the same manner.
591f78332adfe94b0a496cf9c3f71912.jpg

I would consider this if it wasnt my love of compound bow.

View attachment 40870

I went to YT to watch videos of that thing and make fun of it because I was sure it was going to be a circus to set it up. I was right, but kept watching and at about the 10:33 mark in this video, he shows the current updated version. It’s actually pretty slick.

I would consider this if it wasnt my love of compound bow.

View attachment 40870

Never seen this before, but liked the idea for my dad. It’s allegedly avail for purchase for just $40; you’d probably be OK with a bow in that.

Doesn’t look like their commerce site is active any longer and know one answered at the number listed :/

Funny you posted that. The original owner was looking to sell that company a few years back and a buddy of mine almost purchased it.

I have that seat and it’s really nice. They have a newer version (the Low down) that I think might be even better. I asked my wife to get it for me for Christmas.
I’ve killed a bunch of turkeys with the one in your link. I did change out the seat material with some lightweight hammock material and I also had the post cerakoted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have that seat and it’s really nice. They have a newer version (the Low down) that I think might be even better. I asked my wife to get it for me for Christmas.
I’ve killed a bunch of turkeys with the one in your link. I did change out the seat material with some lightweight hammock material and I also had the post cerakoted.

Nice!

Now the $64,000 question.

Do you think you could rig it up so you sat higher, feet closer to the tree and rest the stick and your feet on a large platform, say a mission for example?

Maybe I am crazy for thinking it might be possible, but if it is and I substitute trekking pole(s) for the stick, I could relax for extended times on a saddle platform facing away from the tree.

I know, I know, closer to a hang on. But more options, I think.

Nice!

Now the $64,000 question.

Do you think you could rig it up so you sat higher, feet closer to the tree and rest the stick and your feet on a large platform, say a mission for example?

Maybe I am crazy for thinking it might be possible, but if it is and I substitute trekking pole(s) for the stick, I could relax for extended times on a saddle platform facing away from the tree.

I know, I know, closer to a hang on. But more options, I think.

Yes. I have done it with Summit climbing platform. I had to make a pocket out of webbing to catch the fork. You should be able to do the same with trekking poles.

Back