• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sit drag style vs a swing?

Jgetch

Last year was my first full year in a saddle. After researching for a couple years I decided to take the plunge and as I enjoy diy projects I decided to make most of the gear rather then buying a saddle. I started out the season with a sit drag style saddle and I really liked it. However after a month or so of sits (usually 6 plus hrs) I started to get uncomfortable. After trying every recommendation and video I could find here I decided to build a swing. Took about an hour, four feet of webbing, a peice of plywood, one camping pillow, Amstel for the bridge and some camo fabric. Took it hunting that night and once I sat down on the swing and leaned the prop against the tree I was in heaven! Complete comfort, for me at least.

So, is anyone currently using a swing? Also, any tips for getting a sit drag style to work better for me? I hike back a long ways pretty often and shedding the weight of the swing would be nice. But hiking in as far as I do (with some really big hills) it has to be comfortable as I don’t want to hike that far for a short sit.

Thanks everyone. Best hunting forum there is!

A swing? I'm a noob so I'd love to see a pic of this device.
It’s nothing to special. Piece of plywood the size of a butt with a piece sticking out between your legs to take the weight off leaning on the tree. I wear a rock harness that is also always tethered for safety climbing and just in case something would happen to my diy.

Looks like it eliminates any hip pinch. Can you still shoot 360 around the tree?

Lots of people hunting on a chunk of plywood - it's cheap light simple and on down the line.

Check out my DIY post on the treesuit I'm building - you may be able to get into something a little more compact and slightly less weight.

Bosun's chair style seats won't hug your body - you're a little less locked in when rotating for shots. I feel comfortable hanging upside down in my kestrel that thing ain't coming off. A little more care with these types of seats. However - no hip pinch, and they are very comfy! the whale tail is probably the biggest advantage to me - it allows you to completely unload your legs for a rest.

This is my sitdrag
af340ac21d893d5eb9652e8539e85728.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Looks like it eliminates any hip pinch. Can you still shoot 360 around the tree?
I’ve had no issue with mobility. I’m still hooked in with my rock harness so I feel free to twist and contort without fear. The bridge tends not to slide as well as it does in a sit drag but I’m able to just lift a check, if you will, to get a full turn. Admittedly however I probably didn’t spend enough time in or have proper adjustments on sit drag. So I may have no idea how much mobility I am sacrificing. Hence the thread....

This is my sitdrag
af340ac21d893d5eb9652e8539e85728.jpg

That is NICE! Looks like my sit drag.....or at least what I thought mine would turn out like. Think I may need to get the sewing machine back out and up my game before write off the sit drag. However, do you lean the whole sit? Go knees to tree? I just could get myself to stop fidgeting after 3-4hrs in the tree.

That is NICE! Looks like my sit drag.....or at least what I thought mine would turn out like. Think I may need to get the sewing machine back out and up my game before write off the sit drag. However, do you lean the whole sit? Go knees to tree? I just could get myself to stop fidgeting after 3-4hrs in the tree.
Yea im a leaner. My legs stay straight and i run a low tether. I feel the pressure on my back.
862b3a5819497fb36cee1faa8a97d292.jpg
6e8b7141aab1adde8418d10a1a6e4c57.jpg

Its a modded sitdrag

Do you wear a RC harness with yours? I was debating not, i know you can hang upside down like you did in the pic but if you have your legs together and were to lean strait back(fall asleep, etc) you would pitch right out of the Sit Drag and probably Plinko your way to the ground off your tree steps.

Do you wear a RC harness with yours? I was debating not, i know you can hang upside down like you did in the pic but if you have your legs together and were to lean strait back(fall asleep, etc) you would pitch right out of the Sit Drag and probably Plinko your way to the ground off your tree steps.
No i dont. I used to wear a riggers belt, but im comfortable without one.

No i dont. I used to wear a riggers belt, but im comfortable without one.

I'll have to see how my comfort level is. In my test sits it sure seems like it would be WAY to easy to lean back and fall right out of it. The waist belt on mine may help some but it certainly isnt meant to be load bearing.

I'll have to see how my comfort level is. In my test sits it sure seems like it would be WAY to easy to lean back and fall right out of it. The waist belt on mine may help some but it certainly isnt meant to be load bearing.
Its pouring here or i would climb and test your situation. I think i would be fine though

Back