• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sit drag with leg loops.

Cody Walker

If I had leg loops sewn onto my sit drag, would I still need a safety harness/rock climbing harness? Or would this be too risky? Thought I saw a post about this either on here or one of the facebook pages.

The sit drag isn’t rated to leave the ground. I always use a RCH. Some guys choose not to. It isn’t worth the risk to me.

This was originally a concern of mine. Since modding my sitdrag and adding a load bearing belt, even though I’ve worn my rch, I have not used it. I am also only about 135#. I feel perfectly fine/safe and I’m sketchy with heights.

Whats the upside of doing this?

What are the risks/downsides?

I’m not the smartest feller in the room, but I can’t imagine the answers to the first question being worth the answers to the second question.

No one here is qualified to give you a ‘no you don’t need a climbing rated harness’ answer.

Do yourself a favor- if you’re going to engage in risky behavior, do it fully informed. Don’t try to convince yourself because some random guy on the internet told you something was safe, that it is. There is a ton of information on this site. Read it, think about it, digest it, but don’t take the opinion of one person, or even a group of people, as fact. There are also loads of books and articles on climbing and safety equipment. There is likely a certified climbing instructor in your area. Don’t be lazy with your well being.

Whats the upside of doing this?

What are the risks/downsides?

I’m not the smartest feller in the room, but I can’t imagine the answers to the first question being worth the answers to the second question.

No one here is qualified to give you a ‘no you don’t need a climbing rated harness’ answer.

Do yourself a favor- if you’re going to engage in risky behavior, do it fully informed. Don’t try to convince yourself because some random guy on the internet told you something was safe, that it is. There is a ton of information on this site. Read it, think about it, digest it, but don’t take the opinion of one person, or even a group of people, as fact. There are also loads of books and articles on climbing and safety equipment. There is likely a certified climbing instructor in your area. Don’t be lazy with your well being.
Good point. Just trying to see what other guys are doing.

Back