• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sit Drag??

justsomedude

I turn my back for a few months...you guys have been busy!

So, I just ordered a Sit Drag to be used as intended (silly me).
I have used a Hammock Seat a lot in the past and the idea of a more portable version was very interesting.
I haven't received it yet, but should have it in a few days.

I already have a NewTribe Saddle.
I also already have an Alpine BOD harness.

Is the Sit Drag comfortable enough that I might use it instead of the New Tribe?
I am sure it is lighter as it doesn't have the "Paws".
I wouldn't use it without a Climbing Harness.
I have seen where people make a bridge with webbing or a sling.
The Tree Strap/Ropeman/Carabiner setup would be the same as my NewTribe.

Thoughts?

I should add...

One interest I have in lightening my load is that sometimes I end up ground hunting.
It would be COOL if I just had a Saddle with me just in case but it did;'t weight so much that I would end up leaving it in the car....or so heavy I would be mad that I had it with me but didn't use it.

It could be that I end up just using it for impromptu low trees that I can climb up into.

flingingairos is the man to ask on this .. hes helping me make my sitdrag into a usable elevated harness... everything was ordered weds and will be here buy thurs this week only thing im waiting on is my sitdrag, drop pouch, and the black diamond carabiners......hes been hunting out of his for a while... I cant wait til my stuff gets here

I ordered a Tree Spider Vertical Climbing belt to experiment with as a linesmans belt.
My linesmans belt on the new tribe is rope with a ropeman. But if I can make this rig all or mostly webbing with minimal hardware it will be more useful

Lots of people are using the SitDrag as their go-to saddle. Some with an additional harness, some without. I've modified mine a lot and feel very confident using it without an extra rock climbing or safety harness. It's also very comfortable.

[youtube]PNhIOPty0do[/youtube]

g2outdoors said:
Lots of people are using the SitDrag as their go-to saddle. Some with an additional harness, some without. I've modified mine a lot and feel very confident using it without an extra rock climbing or safety harness. It's also very comfortable.

[youtube]PNhIOPty0do[/youtube]

g2 is right, it is very comfy! The harness is a good idea and I like the ones I have seen utilizing that. I haven't done it personally and I think the SD is safe alone, but extra safety precaution is never a bad thing! The way g2 has his set up in this vid will probably be close to what I end up with for this upcoming season.

G2,
Thanks for the video!

Coming from a hammock camping background...if you want butt insulation, hanging it from the bottom works better than sitting on it.

I have a sewing machine...fun.
I would likely make my bridge with webbing/water knots.
Any tips on bridge length?

justsomedude said:
G2,
Thanks for the video!

Coming from a hammock camping background...if you want butt insulation, hanging it from the bottom works better than sitting on it.

I have a sewing machine...fun.
I would likely make my bridge with webbing/water knots.
Any tips on bridge length?

I think my bridge is right around 36" so I can have a head-height hookup on my tether. That seems to be the most comfy to me. If you get real high on your tether hookup it will create some pressure.

I just ordered another sitdrag. Going to see if my mom can sew the webbing on this one with her machine. I didn't like using the sewing all and it punched big holes in it while sewing. I stitched and unstitched so many different options trying to figure out what I liked, I'm sure I weakened it. So I just wanted a fresh start and decided not to attach it to my BOD harness. I find it more comfortable than my aero hunter evo. I'll keep my old one just for experimenting if I want to change something up.

swampsnyper said:
I just ordered another sitdrag. Going to see if my mom can sew the webbing on this one with her machine. I didn't like using the sewing all and it punched big holes in it while sewing. I stitched and unstitched so many different options trying to figure out what I liked, I'm sure I weakened it. So I just wanted a fresh start and decided not to attach it to my BOD harness. I find it more comfortable than my aero hunter evo. I'll keep my old one just for experimenting if I want to change something up.

At least they are cheap enough it doesn't hurt so bad to buy another! :lol: I have actually thought about buying one and keeping it in stock form just to use as a ground seat like it was intended just for ground hunting.

justsomedude said:
G2, coming from a hammock camping background...if you want butt insulation, hanging it from the bottom works better than sitting on it. Any tips on bridge length?

My bridge is about 28". I haven't spent much time in the tree with it, but I think it's going to work very well. I was able to pivot very easily with that length bridge. It's a huge upgrade from my short Trohpyline bridge.

I think CCF will be fine as an insulator. Now if I made a SitDrag down underquilt, I would definitely worry about compression. Hmmm...miniature down UQ for a SitDrag...sounds fun.

swampsnyper said:

I have 3 right now, but I plan to give two away. That means I need to pick up a couple more at some point. I want to get my brother into Saddle hunting so I'm going to set one up for him to try out next season.

flinginairos said:
At least they are cheap enough it doesn't hurt so bad to buy another! :lol:

Ain't that the truth!

swampsnyper said:
I figured G2 had a bulk box of them in his shop, being he is on sitdrag prostaff and all! lol

:D :D :D

That's right. Little did you guys know I get $.01 for every SitDrag sold. I'M GONNA BE RICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o o
<
$ $
$$$$$$$

g2outdoors said:
swampsnyper said:
I figured G2 had a bulk box of them in his shop, being he is on sitdrag prostaff and all! lol

:D :D :D

That's right. Little did you guys know I get $.01 for every SitDrag sold. I'M GONNA BE RICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o o
&lt;
$ $
$$$$$$$

Man you are cheap labor!!

Welcome back justsomedude!

My bridge length is pretty much 24" on whatever saddle I am using.

swampsnyper said:

He does but he can't say that here. If he started giving them to us for free their sales would fall in half.

I just bought two more myself. One is getting just the belt mod. The other is the full G2 mod or something similar.

redsquirrel said:

that is where I am 90% of the time. If the loops on the saddle are too far in front then I go down to 18-20 inches. The more and more I have hunted with a saddle I am getting to where I like a chin level hook up and my bridge hooks up with a ropeman1 right at the tree - it is so easy to adjust at this level and makes it easy to move my rope around the tree prior to making a step - sure beats trying to guess how high and long I need a tether to walk around a tree. Now I just stand up, rotate my rope in the direction I want to move and take a step...... 90% of the time I really don't need to move a step though as my platform has completely changed how I hunt and how little I need to be moving while using a saddle. Wish I could cast my own platform to get it even smaller and to add a few custom tweaks I am working on. If I can ever get this built I may just have 4 or 5 of these made so I don't have to run down this journey again - I am the closest I have ever been to being completely happy with my set up and not needing to make any more changes. It is extremely light (my saddle, sticks and platform are weighing in less then what a lonewolf itself weighs), can hunt just about any tree, mobile, quiet and easy to use.... but best of all it is leveling and I can shoot almost 360 with any steps on most tress I select and easily 360 with only 2 stepps

DaveT1963 said:
redsquirrel said:

that is where I am 90% of the time. If the loops on the saddle are too far in front then I go down to 18-20 inches. The more and more I have hunted with a saddle I am getting to where I like a chin level hook up and my bridge hooks up with a ropeman1 right at the tree - it is so easy to adjust at this level and makes it easy to move my rope around the tree prior to making a step - sure beats trying to guess how high and long I need a tether to walk around a tree. Now I just stand up, rotate my rope in the direction I want to move and take a step...... 90% of the time I really don't need to move a step though as my platform has completely changed how I hunt and how little I need to be moving while using a saddle. Wish I could cast my own platform to get it even smaller and to add a few custom tweaks I am working on. If I can ever get this built I may just have 4 or 5 of these made so I don't have to run down this journey again - I am the closest I have ever been to being completely happy with my set up and not needing to make any more changes. It is extremely light (my saddle, sticks and platform are weighing in less then what a lonewolf itself weighs), can hunt just about any tree, mobile, quiet and easy to use.... but best of all it is leveling and I can shoot almost 360 with any steps on most tress I select and easily 360 with only 2 stepps

Sounds like you're getting it dialed in!

I just got my SitDrag today.
I got to shoot out of it a bit.

Does it still work ok as a seat when it is modded?
I can see where having an adjustable tether would be a plus.
I just want it light enough to still be a good throw in the bag seat when I plan to ground hunt.

Thoughts?

I suppose at ground level I could use a light Daisy chain as tether and just clip the bridge to a loop

Back