• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sitka Fanatic Vest or Jacket

bob1sh

Looking for recommendations on another layer of wind stopper and warmth.

What I’m currently wearing:
Merino bottom
Wrangler outdoor pants
Fanatic bibs
Merino top
Apex hoody
Kelvin lite hoody

I like the idea of the Fanatic vest over what I’m currently wearing for warm core, pocket layout, slim fit on the arms. Just wondering if the Fanatic jacket will completely replace the Kelvin hoody and cover everything with wind stopper and warmth? Thanks for all input in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Temps will get down to teens but spend most of the time in 20s and 30s..

I’ve wrestled with this decision before, and I’ve asked folks here, on YouTube, and even Sitka’s gear team. Due to cost, I haven’t purchased either (yet), but the overwhelming response I got was to go with the Fanatic Vest. That gives you the widest temperature range, since it’s comfortable at least up to the 40’s and down to the 10’s, depending on what you layer under it. I find that my arms are almost never the problem with cold—it’s my core, my hands, or my feet—so having those sleeves is less important to me. Also, the vest is less bulky and therefore easier to pack in, helping you avoid sweating on your trek to the tree.
That said, if you’re consistently hunting below 20* or so (30* if you’re cold-natured like me), the Fanatic Jacket probably makes more sense.

I’ve wrestled with this decision before, and I’ve asked folks here, on YouTube, and even Sitka’s gear team. Due to cost, I haven’t purchased either (yet), but the overwhelming response I got was to go with the Fanatic Vest. That gives you the widest temperature range, since it’s comfortable at least up to the 40’s and down to the 10’s, depending on what you layer under it. I find that my arms are almost never the problem with cold—it’s my core, my hands, or my feet—so having those sleeves is less important to me. Also, the vest is less bulky and therefore easier to pack in, helping you avoid sweating on your trek to the tree.
That said, if you’re consistently hunting below 20* or so (30* if you’re cold-natured like me), the Fanatic Jacket probably makes more sense.

My arms are not cold either and the bibs keep everything toasty from the waist down. My hands are fine in pockets with hand warmers. I’m using heavy merino socks from Darn Tough, no issues there yet. Not getting the jacket allows me to actually utilize the Kelvin hoody instead of another piece that will just sit.

I recently purchased the set, bibs and jacket. I hunt northwest Alabama mainly and after wearing it around the yard when temps were in the upper 40s and windy this morning, I'm beginning to think it may be too much for alabama weather. We really only have a couple days in the 20s, mostly 40s to 30s in the winter. Had a t-shirt under the jacket and athletic shorts under the bibs. I started to sweat a little 20 minutes in just sitting there.

I bought it to cut the wind on cold days, it definitely did that with no problem. Jacket isn't bulky at all, bibs fit well too.

I own the fanatic bibs, jacket, and vest. I love the versatility of the vest. I live in Wisconsin and hardly wear the jacket. I bought the vest tight though so I could put the jacket over it. I normally don't use much for layers on my legs since I got the bibs. All of it is very warm. Highly recommend the vest.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I was very comfortable in a Dakota hoodie and fanatic vest over fanatic bibs during a sit in the low/mid twenties with high winds.

I'd say vest. I can get into really cold temps with it and the midi jacket. I have the Fanatic jacket and it is warm but it is a major pain to pack in. I feel just as warm with good base layers and the vest. It's a lot nicer to lose the bulk in the arms.

36 and steady breeze tonight. Had on light weight core layers, equinox pants, celcious midi, stratus bibs and coat with neck gator and stratus beanie. I wasn't cold, but could have been warmer. The vest would have been nice, but so would the coat. I have the coat, probably switch to it from here on out. Ive got the bibs as well. Both are heavy.

I'd say vest. I can get into really cold temps with it and the midi jacket. I have the Fanatic jacket and it is warm but it is a major pain to pack in. I feel just as warm with good base layers and the vest. It's a lot nicer to lose the bulk in the arms.

This is what I’m thinking too.. sub the Midi for my Kelvin that has 4/5 wind stoppage compared to the Midi that shows none on the bar graph on the website. I’m already packing in the bibs to put on at the tree and they’re massive, I can imagine the bibs and the jacket would be a lot.

I recently purchased the set, bibs and jacket. I hunt northwest Alabama mainly and after wearing it around the yard when temps were in the upper 40s and windy this morning, I'm beginning to think it may be too much for alabama weather. We really only have a couple days in the 20s, mostly 40s to 30s in the winter. Had a t-shirt under the jacket and athletic shorts under the bibs. I started to sweat a little 20 minutes in just sitting there.

I bought it to cut the wind on cold days, it definitely did that with no problem. Jacket isn't bulky at all, bibs fit well too.

I think you should sell this for the stratus set. Still have the windproofing but less insulation. If it's a really cold day you can just add another layer underneath.

I have the stratus bibs and jacket, they are unreal, hands down the best clothing I have ever owned.

I'm in SW Michigan, I have the stratus bibs and fanatic vest. I wouldn't own the fanatic jacket but I just came across a stupid good deal and so I have that too. I think that will be more used in late gun season than anything else, or a particularly cold snap during bow. I anticipate the bibs and vest being good for 90% + of bow season.

Back