• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sitka gear.......to buy, or not to buy?

gameflogger

SH Member
Hey guys, I have been thinking about buying a set of sitka bibs and jacket, but the price tag is insane. I saddle hunt in east Texas mostly and winters are nit very cold here, I am a candy*** in the cold, but it only gets to 30 or so around here during prime time. I would like to hear from some of you guys who have shelled out the coin for sitka, first lite, or nomad who would be able to tell me if the gear is really worth the price tag. Thanks in advance

Hey guys, I have been thinking about buying a set of sitka bibs and jacket, but the price tag is insane. I saddle hunt in east Texas mostly and winters are nit very cold here, I am a candy*** in the cold, but it only gets to 30 or so around here during prime time. I would like to hear from some of you guys who have shelled out the coin for sitka, first lite, or nomad who would be able to tell me if the gear is really worth the price tag. Thanks in advance

Personally, if you buy the right pieces, it’s 100% worth it. I absolutely Love mine. I’ve got the stratus bibs and jacket and hunt in North Georgia. The wind stopper membrane is an absolute deal maker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, if you buy the right pieces, it’s 100% worth it. I absolutely Love mine. I’ve got the stratus bibs and jacket and hunt in North Georgia. The wind stopper membrane is an absolute deal maker

how well do you handle the cold? When I get a chill, I am done. The only 2 things that will drive me off the stand are if I get too cold, or if I have to drop a Michigan steamer. I know most of their gear is designed around active hunting and moving around

I mean I try and man up and tough it out, but like you, once I’m cold cold, I’m done. I’ll put it this way, I hunted 2 yrs ago with all scentlok mid season pants and jacket, cold gear base layers and a sweatshirt and sweat pants and got cold a couple times. This year on a 17 degree morning I had on a set of base layers and the stratus set with a beanie and was perfect. The wind is the cold part and that wind stopper membrane is the real deal

I'm in the process of upgrading from RedHead and denim to nicer stuff, but it definitely puts a hurting on the wallet. I suggest identifying the biggest gaps in your current system (e.g., don't have a good puffy vest) and upgrading those first. Good base layers are more important than many guys think, since you'll almost always be cold if you got sweaty walking in. Breaking the wind is also critical. So, my opinion is that, unless you're just flush with cash, don't bother spending up on expensive gear that doesn't either get/keep you dry or keep the wind out. Pieces that do those things well, though... Can't hardly put a price tag on that, in my view.
If you decide to buy nicer clothes, which definitely enhance comfort, make sure you don't pay full price for them. Sitka is regularly on sale on Black Ovis and other sites; First Lite runs 20+% off sales periodically; and you can usually find pretty large discounts on Nomad stuff (on sale on CamoFire today, also could use code MTNOMAD50 to get 50% off everything on the Nomad website).

I can’t justify nice clothes with the stuff I hunt in

Keep that in mind... where your taking it. U could be throwing money away.

I took the dive last year and bought a full first lite set. My big thing is I don't like having to look like the Michelin Man just to stay warm. Their solitude set and kiln base layers easily kept me comfy into the low 30s. Add in their furnace base layer and you'll be good into single digits. Although I would consider myself to be someone who is very warm natured, so you might have layer differently of you are cold natured. Plus that solitude set is loaded with some awesome features.

Last edited:
I'm a North Eastern in the mid Atlantic. My father will still call me at 9pm telling me to be careful the next day if he knows its supposed to get dangerously cold- as in 15f or lower. I have a set of firstlite bibs and the uncompagre( spelling totally wrong) packable jacket. That plus merino layers has kept me fine in years past. I have added the hill people gear mountain serape, highly reccomend a set of bibs and serape for cold weather. No mittens or hand warmer needed, walk in with bibs unzipped so you don't sweat, just need a hoodie, climb, zip up bibs, throw on serape, stay warm until the shot.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I'm in north Mississippi and I bought the fanatic bib and jacket optifade elevated 2. The bibs I use every single hunt, the jacket is way too poofy (don't get me wrong its warm but cuts your mobility). I rarely use the jacket. When I have to retire this set of bibs I will be buying sitka again

The Sitka products are excellent, and I’ve had almost all brands. The quality and functionality are second to none. Understand your climate range and select the pieces that’s designed for those temps. The Stratus line has the wind stop membrane which is important. The fanatic hoodie is a Nice pice to have to layer and it has the built in face screen. Plus it even has the sleeves that create a glove like cover on your hands. Very handy. I know it’s expensive and it makes me sick, but you need to try a few pieces and as others have mentioned, buy a few pieces a year. Watch off season and end of season for sales. You can pick it up fairly reasonable if you shop and are patient.

The Sitka products are excellent, and I’ve had almost all brands. The quality and functionality are second to none. Understand your climate range and select the pieces that’s designed for those temps. The Stratus line has the wind stop membrane which is important. The fanatic hoodie is a Nice pice to have to layer and it has the built in face screen. Plus it even has the sleeves that create a glove like cover on your hands. Very handy. I know it’s expensive and it makes me sick, but you need to try a few pieces and as others have mentioned, buy a few pieces a year. Watch off season and end of season for sales. You can pick it up fairly reasonable if you shop and are patient.
Great point. I don’t have a ton of Sitka stuff b/c of sleeve/ inseam handicaps......:tearsofjoy: but I will say if you were just curious BUY the fanatic hoody & see what you think ( yes I know it’s a $180 sweatshirt) but I own 2 of them & wear it all the time, mix that in with your merino of choice & a vest & you can be pretty versatile before ever needing a jacket.

Last edited:
I was skeptical when buying my first set of Sitka gear. I decided to get the Fanatic jacket and bibs, merino heavy base layer bottoms, Fanatic hoody, and incinerator hat. The first day out it was in the low 30s with about 10mph winds with gusts up in the 20mph. I was absolutely perfect and I am always cold after an hour sitting and this stuff really blocks the wind. After about 3 hours of sitting I realized I didn't even zip up the coat haha, I was still super warm. After that week of hunting and being warm, I went home and ordered the Stratus kit for early season hunting when its a bit warmer here in Michigan.
Definitely worth the money if you buy the right kit for the climate your are going to hunt in. Layering is key with the Sitka gear, so if your temps don't go below the 30's you might not need the Fanatic stuff and can get away with the Stratus line up. Trust me when I say I don't have to zip the jacket until it is really cold and windy with the Fanatic, so you need to way the pros/cons of having a heavier jacket to a lighter more maneuverable one. Like everyone else has said any of the top tier lineups are priceless when you can hunt all day in comfort and have camo that will last a long time.

The BIGGEST con is if your married your wife will start texting you asking if everything is ok, are you hurt, or lost because she is used to you coming in way earlier when its cold:)

Having had FirstLite and Sitka, to me Sitka is on a whole different level. Their stuff is built well and built to last. While the FL gear is comfortable, it’s not nearly as durable. I have FL pants that didn’t last as well as the stuff on the racks at Wallyworld.

I upgraded the past three years to all First Lite and Sitka. I love my Stratus set the best. I bought most stuff used from here or Archery Talk.
I use FL stuff for baselayers and warmer weather.

I started buying Sitka gear a few years ago and have not been disappointed. I have a few Firstlite items and I think they're all good when used as designed. Weather conditions and how your body handles the cold/heat is the biggest factor. Its been worth it for me.

Having had FirstLite and Sitka, to me Sitka is on a whole different level. Their stuff is built well and built to last. While the FL gear is comfortable, it’s not nearly as durable. I have FL pants that didn’t last as well as the stuff on the racks at Wallyworld.
This has been my experience as well, to the T.

If you are buying the stuff for retail cost. I am not sure I could say it’s worth it. A bit overrated IMO… I have had almost every piece.

All of the outer layers except the fanatic lite are pretty noisy. I like their mid layers, kelvin, Celsius, some baselayers and accessories. Their merino bugs my skin makes me itchy. My minus33 doesnt do that.

I personally like the scentlok outers better. Way quieter and I think the divergent might be warmer than the incinerator but doesn’t pack down nearly as well.

Also, I have moved to Kuiu for my early season stuff. I think the Kuiu Tiburon stuff is way nicer than the Sitka ESW stuff.

After seeing myself on trailcam pics in my Sitka. I am a little concerned about the material. It seemed to give off a bit of a bluish hue. Kinda bugs me…

With all that said... i can’t bring myself to sell any of my Sitka. The fit is better than the others, the quality is great but perhaps the biggest thing for me is their warranty and repair. After having my Stratus bibs for 2 years I got a puncture hole in them. I sent them out for repair. They didn’t charge me a dime… it did take nearly 3 months to get them back though. Honestly, that’s the only thing that would make the Sitka worth it. Other manufacturers you are SOL and will probably have to toss it or pay to get it fixed somewhere.

Back