• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sitka vs First Lite vs Kuiu

CamoMan

Looking to upgrade some current hunting clothing. What is everyones insight on the more premium camo gear? Feel free to comment on other brands! These were just the ones I was looking at

I have had them all. What specifically are you looking for?

I really like them all honestly. I find myself wearing the First Lite stuff the most for whitetail hunting lately

I really like First Lite. Sitka is very popular in my area among duck hunters, and have easy access to their products in local stores. But i just didnt find their stuff to be that impressive, and really dont like their camo patterns. I wish i could look at First Lite stuff in first hand before buying, but their sizing chart is usually right on and ive yet to be disappointed by anything ive gotten from them, and i have quite a few FL pieces

I have had them all. What specifically are you looking for?

I really like them all honestly. I find myself wearing the First Lite stuff the most for whitetail hunting lately
Curious on quality compared to each other. Is one brand better for colder weather or vice versa.

This is my first year running Sitka base layers light and heavy and the 90 percent series. Nothing fancy but some time tested pieces. Look forward to see what the hub bub has been all about

This is my first year running Sitka base layers light and heavy and the 90 percent series. Nothing fancy but some time tested pieces. Look forward to see what the hub bub has been all about
Let us know what you think! Wish there were places close that carried all these brands so you could check them out in person

Curious on quality compared to each other. Is one brand better for colder weather or vice versa.

Sitka and First Lite offer products that are much better for cold weather static or stand hunting. As much as I love Kuiu I kinda struggle to make it work for colder weather tree stand hunting.

I haven’t tried first lite yet, but I love the pieces of Sitka I have. I have their waterproof downpour line and it is frickin awesome in wet weather.

I also have an early season base layer set, and that stuff rocks as well. It is antimicrobial, and Just never stinks up. I can sweat through the whole thing, throw it in a duffle bag, and come back a couple days later and barely smell it. Anything else I do that with stinks like a boys locker room.

I hope to add some first lite in the next few years though.

I have used First Lite as they actually have some articles in Big and Tall with 36 inseam 27 sleeve, unlike the other brands. The obsidian pants are great as far as comfort, warm in early winter, cool in summer but do not expect them to hold up in thick woods. My obsidians have been to the seamstress twice in one season and need to go back again. They shred like lettuce. My llano had pin holes and pilling within a few hunts. I have a wick but I bought it half off used. I use my pro deals for FL and could not imagine paying their full retail price. I have since purchased camo from midwayusa at a fraction of the cost, great fit, and they are transparent about materials used (primaloft silver ect.) way more durable but if you want to look cool in your youtube video and get 37 views, then you have to have matching fusion or EVII from head to toe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used First Lite as they actually have some articles in Big and Tall with 36 inseam 27 sleeve, unlike the other brands. The obsidian pants are great as far as comfort, warm in early winter, cool in summer but do not expect them to hold up in thick woods. My obsidians have been to the seamstress twice in one season and need to go back again. They shred like lettuce. My llano had pin holes and pilling within a few hunts. I have a wick but I bought it half off used. I use my pro deals for FL and could not imagine paying their full retail price. I have since purchased camo from midwayusa at a fraction of the cost, great fit, and they are transparent about materials used (primaloft silver ect.) way more durable but if you want to look cool in your youtube video and get 37 views, then you have to have matching fusion or EVII from head to toe.

Merino wool base layers arent known for durability regardless of brand. Obsidians are great pants, but were not made for thick brush uses. Thats what the guide pants and sawbuck pants are for.

I just ordered some first lite gear a couple weeks ago. I haven't field tested it but all the stuff I got seems awesome. I'm really looking forward to it. I watched alot of reviews and even sent a few messages back and forth via their website text message system (really handy).

Everyone I know that owns sitka also says great things. It can get spendy but if you piece the gear together over a couple seasons it's well worth it. Im pretty sure first lite has a sale going right now. They also do one in january (tag soup sale).

Oh, well I guess using these words in the description of the item directly on the FirstLite website kinda threw me off then.
Obsidians
“maximum durability”
“durability and support in high stress areas”
“...active hunting applications”
“...spot and stock and stationary applications”
“Woven ripstop merino blend”
“Upland”
“Southwest”
“Southeast”

Oh, well I guess using these words in the description of the item directly on the FirstLite website kinda threw me off then.
Obsidians
“maximum durability”
“durability and support in high stress areas”
“...active hunting applications”
“...spot and stock and stationary applications”
“Woven ripstop merino blend”
“Upland”
“Southwest”
“Southeast”

Sure, they can be used in all of that. But they are not brush pants and are not advertised as such. If you want to have a pant that will survive thorns and thick brush, then get one made for it.

I have a bunch of FL and overall I’m happy with it. My favorite thing that I can’t recommend enough is getting the bib type pants. Not needing a belt and never feeling that cold draft up your back are awesome features.

I don’t think you can go wrong with those three options. Pick the pieces that match the activity and climate you need them for and you will be happy.

Sure, they can be used in all of that. But they are not brush pants and are not advertised as such. If you want to have a pant that will survive thorns and thick brush, then get one made for it.

Judging from the recent meat eater podcast, they have something for that coming out....

Judging from the recent meat eater podcast, they have something for that coming out....
I havent listened to the latest podcast, but they are probably talking about the sawbuck pants. They just came out, and are made just for thick nasty brush and thorns

I have the kuiu attack pants and they are very comfortable and water resistant but man do they suck for walking through any type of thorns. After one season mine are still usable but I don’t know if they’ll get through 2. More of a western pant I think. For staying warm the first lite sanctuary bibs and jacket are the best pieces I ever bought. Anything that warm is not to walk in though.

Ok well I am sorry that I posted my opinion based off of my direct experience with some of the FirstLite products. For a second, I thought that this was the purpose of the thread. Sorry to offend well, now what do you want to talk about?

Back