• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Smallest Gear with the Biggest Impact

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Which piece of hunting gear has cost you the least, but given you the biggest dose of satisfaction.

For me, it's a tie between Chinadermic broadheads ($15 per dozen), caffeine pills ($4 a bottle), and a clip-on ball compass ($3-$8 depending on where/when you buy). The Chinadermics I've weighed, spun, and shot through critters have all been indistinguishable from the $45 a pack ones, and mean I no longer worry about sending shots out into the palmettos and swamp mud. The caffeine pills are substantially cheaper than 5-hours and Redbulls now that coffee makes me crap like goose in the morning. And the ball compass...man, the ball compass. I've got one strapped to my chair, my waders, my all of my backpacks...I don't always know where I'm goin', but I know which direction I'm headed. Ya feelin' me?

Accessory cord of all diameters and slings. I carry half a dozen plus 3-4 extra carabiners and hook all kinds of crap to me or the tree or my pack. 30-90¢ per foot for the non-HR stuff.

Mossy Oak “touch screen friendly” gloves. Got them on sale for $7.99 a few years ago at Wally World. Nice to be able to use phone/maps when needed without sacrificing my digits to the cold. Currently replying to this on a 30deg morning with them on.

Mossy Oak “touch screen friendly” gloves. Got them on sale for $7.99 a few years ago at Wally World. Nice to be able to use phone/maps when needed without sacrificing my digits to the cold. Currently replying to this on a 30deg morning with them on.
What? A pair of gloves that actually work on your phone for less than $10?????

Here’s another vote for hot hands hand and toe warmers.

A little bit more in cost but not much ….. $30 range is a good but silent hand muff. I can wear thin liner gloves all season with a hand muff and hand warmers inside.

Here’s another vote for hot hands hand and toe warmers.

A little bit more in cost but not much ….. $30 range is a good but silent hand muff. I can wear thin liner gloves all season with a hand muff and hand warmers inside.
The only problem with hand muffs is having to take a shot lol. My hands be like “are you suuuuuuuure you want venison?” I tell myself that gutting the deer will warm my hands right up :smirk:.

Thermacell hands down, even in the northeast.

Picked up a new pull up/down rope from Innovatingtheoutdoors.com and it is MUCH better than my Dynaglide setup or previous paracord. Light, easier on hands, not much bulkier, ZERO stretch making rappel rope retrieval a snap. No biners/metal and convenient loops and bungee ball for storage. A little short (I out climbed it yesterday) so I might add a small paracord extension.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Not a fan of muddy but I bought a small screw in bow hanger years ago. I know it's not legal for a lot of you guys but I've started hunting more private and it's legal on some of the public I still hunt. I cut the little hook thing off the end and took the carabineer off. It slips in the side of my bino harness. Just a simple little thing that has been working great for me.
Screenshot_20231105_080711_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Back