• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Snake boot issue looking for some ideas

lawrence

SH Member
I hunt in the swamps, so snakeboots are a must. I have liked the leather Rocky with the side zip, but they seem to only be waterproof for a year and even when drying with a boot dryer..they smell. I always remove the inserts.I like the rubber lacrosse snake boots, a little heavy and they don’t come in half sizes. I wear 9 normal on one foot and 9.5 eeee on the other. I get 10s and one dog is happy, but the other is barking. Any suggestions? I like replacing the removable inserts with sofsol ones.

Are snake boots really needed? I hunt in some pretty snakey areas..... In the early season you'll have multiple sightings on each trip in the woods 100% of the time. I've only had 2 snakes ever strike at me and it was my fault.

Moving to Michigan would solve a lot of issues in the summer. The snow and ice would be a killer for me in winter time. Then again deer being larger would be nice.

I wear Muck Pursuits and my feet like them a lot. Very comfortable. Not a complaint, but they seem a little heavy to me. I've read if you have big calves, the top of the boot is a tight fit. Some of the places I hunt in Florida are swampy, so it's nice to have peace of mind.

Can snakes bite through regular ol muck boots?
Sorry for the long answer! For the areas you are hunting now, the technical answer is yes, but the practical answer is no. We mainly have copperheads and they have small heads and fangs, even with a bigger body adult. Just about any non-woven boot will work. We used to pick them up with the heavy duty rubber dish washing gloves meant for very hot water at scout camp and they could not bite through them. A grown canebrake or timber rattler possibly could, but the odds of ever seeing one that close are nil and there are not that many of them anyway. That leaves cottonmouth, which are more similar to copperheads and only lives in the eastern part of our state, and they are all bark and no bite. Not saying anything can't happen, but it is a calculated risk and I choose comfort over snake boots.

Sorry for the long answer! For the areas you are hunting now, the technical answer is yes, but the practical answer is no. We mainly have copperheads and they have small heads and fangs, even with a bigger body adult. Just about any non-woven boot will work. We used to pick them up with the heavy duty rubber dish washing gloves meant for very hot water at scout camp and they could not bite through them. A grown canebrake or timber rattler possibly could, but the odds of ever seeing one that close are nil and there are not that many of them anyway. That leaves cottonmouth, which are more similar to copperheads and only lives in the eastern part of our state, and they are all bark and no bite. Not saying anything can't happen, but it is a calculated risk and I choose comfort over snake boots.

Good to know. Thanks.

With mainly copperheads around this area, on the recommendation of @thwack16, I decided to opt for a pair of snake proof gaiters to just wear with my regular waterproof hunting boots. They give me protection from top of for to knee, and I think the boot itself will protect my foot.

I have a pair of lacrosse aeroheads with the snakebite protection... I hope they work when the times comes...

Back