• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Social Media

Jtaylor

SH Member
So I'll preface by saying I'm being completely hypocritical posting these articles here but what better way to get the info out?
I've learned a lot here but I've also gotten caught up in the hype which I probably wouldn't have prior to spending time on here.
There's a new year ahead and a new baby at home and I'm vowing to get back to my roots and enjoy hunting for what it is and not get so wrapped up in the fluff.
I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on the site but it's hard not to agree with some of the points mentioned in the articles below.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

I apologize in advance for anyone who has already posted these here or elsewhere.

[/URL]

It's probably funny but I 100% agree. While this site has got sucked into a lot of what is posted in that article by it's sheer size I started this site because I wanted a community of like minded hunters. I hate social media and I hate that this site is now considered part of it.

Matt was just on Meateater podcast and it got heated. The cats out of the bag at this point, but I do agree with him to an extent.

Yeah I am not a social media guy. Was on FB about 8 years ago and never signed back in one day. Too much wasted time. I can't imagine how much time is wasted on all the social media sites daily by most people. Some for good though I will point out, its not all bad. I mean I spend a lot of time on this website each day. However, my take away is that I am learning and becoming more well rounded in my passion of hunting. Plus without SH.com I would never know so many people hunt off buckets or have pimped out hunting challenges. Thank you @redsquirrel

Aside from forums ive been off social media for a few years now - below is the link to about 45 pages of discussion on this topic posted on rokslide

Yeah it's terrible. Several years back I was like, you know what, I like to write, I am going to start writing about outdoor stuff as a side gig. Maybe fund my hunting a little bit or get some free stuff. Well the first couple gigs I got, just dabbling and finding my voice, but I had to promote my articles on social media, a certain number of posts for each article. I kept that up for like 2 or 3 months before I was like Efff this. I was not into that part chasing likes and all the stupid hashtags. I know a couple D-list influencers, they are so freaking fake it's ridiculous.

There's a decent difference between having a profile here or on youtube which is anonymous for the most part and doesn't have a personal page you cultivate versus facebook or instagram.

Both can become unhealthy though. There's folks on archerytalk that have to post whenever it is part of their special interest and argue/always right, etc.

I see this place more akin to large scale group texting or something.

There's a decent difference between having a profile here or on youtube which is anonymous for the most part and doesn't have a personal page you cultivate versus facebook or instagram.

Both can become unhealthy though. There's folks on archerytalk that have to post whenever it is part of their special interest and argue/always right, etc.

I see this place more akin to large scale group texting or something.
Let’s keep it that way!

Matt was just on Meateater podcast and it got heated. The cats out of the bag at this point, but I do agree with him to an extent.

I keep hearing about this Matt guy on meat eater. What episode # is this? I feel like I’m missing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with @Weldabeast on this one. Social media sucks the life out of folks. It can also bring out the worst in them. Influencers are especially terrible people. They push ridiculous ideas that no one else would think of. Case in point, we spend so much money on gear to hunt aloft and then all of a sudden some Joe Schmoe has us considering carrying a local Mom & Pop Shop 5 gallon bucket into the woods. Or worse yet... Jack Schmoe tells us to climb a tree with two inexpensive ropes instead of a $300 one-stick!

;)

It's just kind of eerie how quickly a person can get sucked into the grip of social media when it hasn't really been around all that long.
I took a trip down a rabbit hole and started looking at online resources I use for hunting. Have any of you ever actually took the time to read the privacy policies on some of our favorite GPS hunting apps? If not, take a bit of time and read through one on the app you're using. It's a bit shocking what data they could be potentially selling to a 3rd party to "develop new products" Our pins are saved, our photos, tracks, weather data, etc. etc. I hope someday our best public hunting lands and "secret spots" aren't just going to be another commodity sold to the people willing to pay. I hope our GPS apps we use as a tool aren't going to be the next hunting social media but it appears they're already headed that way.
I'm not wearing an aluminum foil hat but I think it's a good idea to step back and consider all these things and the real reasons we go out into the woods.

It's just kind of eerie how quickly a person can get sucked into the grip of social media when it hasn't really been around all that long.
I took a trip down a rabbit hole and started looking at online resources I use for hunting. Have any of you ever actually took the time to read the privacy policies on some of our favorite GPS hunting apps? If not, take a bit of time and read through one on the app you're using. It's a bit shocking what data they could be potentially selling to a 3rd party to "develop new products" Our pins are saved, our photos, tracks, weather data, etc. etc. I hope someday our best public hunting lands and "secret spots" aren't just going to be another commodity sold to the people willing to pay. I hope our GPS apps we use as a tool aren't going to be the next hunting social media but it appears they're already headed that way.
I'm not wearing an aluminum foil hat but I think it's a good idea to step back and consider all these things and the real reasons we go out into the woods.
No I haven’t and which apps are doing this, send me a PM if you prefer, thanks.

No I haven’t and which apps are doing this, send me a PM if you prefer, thanks.
It's a lot of legal jargon that I don't fully understand so I'd encourage people to read over it but here's an example in the screenshot I took.
Screenshot_20211222-123517_Chrome.jpg

I listened to part of the Meateater episode on the way home. I'm only part of the way through the Steve/Matt argument but what a load of BS. While I agree that there are some negative side effects of social media on hunting. I can't agree with Matt when his entire premise is simply that social media increases the number of hunters in the woods and "he" doesn't want more hunters because it's too crowded. When your argument is based entirely on selfishness, I can't get on board.

I know of a lot of new hunters on this forum, I've seen how excited they are when they are retelling their story on this site and can see how proud they are of their accomplishments in the pics they post. For Matt to want to take that away from new hunters simply because he wants more area to himself shows how much he sucks.

He also has zero self awareness when he is yelling "who are you to decide we need more hunters" at Steve. Well, Matt. Who are you to decide we don't?

And this is coming from a 40 yr old who doesn't have any social media accounts (beside this forum) and has somewhat tongue in cheek told several people that social media might cause the end of society. But you know what what hurts society even more? Selfishness. Which is on full display by Matt in that episode.

Back