• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sold Out Sticks

SwingingGator

So I’m new to the saddle hunting game and need some climbing sticks so I scoured the forum and internet to get people’s opinion on good climbing sticks/setups. After reading up on the options, i narrowed down my selections and proceeded to find them for sale. To my surprise/disappointment, it seems like every set of sticks I want are unavailable or out of stock. The only highly regarded set available it seems are the Lone Wolf setups.

Is it pretty common to see all the other manufacturer’s options out of stock and sold out this late in the season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. They only make so many. Hunting season is over from a retailers stand point. It’s a couple days for Christmas, this there have been sales and coupons for just about everywhere for over a month. All that leads to virtually no supply.

It is understandable that hunting season is coming to a close but I would think that they would want to capitalize on the Christmas holiday. I have been looking for late season hunting clothing and none of the higher quality products are available in average sizes. Just frustrating that products are only available at certain times of year.

To each his own and that's the beauty of having options. LW are the only sticks that I own and they have never failed me in any situation. They have been the same design forever and that says something to me. I'd buy them in a heartbeat. I own at least 10 of them. Strong, light, Made in USA, top notch customer service, and readily available. Double steps are also easy to find now....if that's a requirement. I've tried other sticks but am so familiar and confident in the LWs that I can't bring myself to change.

To each his own and that's the beauty of having options. LW are the only sticks that I own and they have never failed me in any situation. They have been the same design forever and that says something to me. I'd buy them in a heartbeat. I own at least 10 of them. Strong, light, Made in USA, top notch customer service, and readily available. Double steps are also easy to find now....if that's a requirement. I've tried other sticks but am so familiar and confident in the LWs that I can't bring myself to change.

Not a fan of their sticks but I can agree that their customer service has been on point for me and they make good products

If I didn’t have sticks already I would just build them. Get 3 24” pieces of 6061 1” 1/8” wall aluminum and order standoffs and double steps from DanO. Also order straps from Carl and you are set.

I like this idea. Does anyone know the approximate cost of making a set of sticks like these?

I like this idea. Does anyone know the approximate cost of making a set of sticks like these?
Should be the same as you can buy lone wolf steps for. You are going to modify them anyway so cheaper to just build what you want. The only part of my lone wolfs left are the standoffs and versabuttons.

Should be the same as you can buy lone wolf steps for. You are going to modify them anyway so cheaper to just build what you want. The only part of my lone wolfs left are the standoffs and versabuttons.

I have partially modified (versa button/amsteel ropes) Hawk Heliums now and I could always cut them down but I like the idea of one piece steps. I am on the fence about getting WE Stepps. It seems that some people love them and some hate them. They look like a good option as well.

If you buy the parts from double steps and use lone wolf brackets- cheap

If you design parts yourself and have them machined- expensive

Will that really depends on if you have a buddy who had access to a water jet. Hehehe

I have partially modified (versa button/amsteel ropes) Hawk Heliums now and I could always cut them down but I like the idea of one piece steps. I am on the fence about getting WE Stepps. It seems that some people love them and some hate them. They look like a good option as well.
Just get them all! I now have my sticks, 4 WE steps, and a woodpecker drill and bolts. Each has its place IMO.

I’m interested in the idea of building some myself. The double step is something I find as a must because i don’t have a platform so I’ll probably use the top of the stick along with a few steps.

The only issue i have with that is i need to have a climbing system by 1/16/19 for a hunt I’m going on which is on public land. The fact that i can’t buy any muddy pros, helium’s, etc with double steps kind of puts me in a bind.

You may have to do some old-fashioned, in-person leg work to find sticks this late in the year. I've seen several stores that still have muddies, hemiums, and/or API sticks.

Back