• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sore back

Wlog

SH Member
First hunt in my sit drag yesterday after a 5 year hiatus from saddle hunting. Everything went really well other than only seeing 1.5 year old bucks and having a sore back when I got home.

I know I wasn't really paying attention to having good posture while I was in the tree but man was my back sore afterwards. Couple questions...Is this just a core strength issue? Would a back band help? Am I just out of saddle shape?

Sit drag is my only option right now. I'm waiting for the new kestrel and my TL Ambush that I used for several years has some stitching coming apart on the linemans belt loops, so I don't feel confident going in a tree with it.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I remember getting sore shoulders the first season but not a sore back. Could be from not being in 'saddle shape'. I suppose some core exercises might help, but it could also be related to posture/support as well. I think after a few sits you will start to adjust and back will not be as sore, but it can't hurt to try a back band.

I would recommend trying to get the sit drag more underneath you so your closer to sitting than leaning. I have had back problems with tree stands and unfortunately the saddle hasn’t resolved them but it does help some. I mostly stand on my platform and lean which isn’t too bad but It does feel a little better if I switch to an almost sitting position. I just feel like it will require a lot more movement from that position if a deer comes so I only do it at times to give me some relief.

I've been hunting out of the kestrel with the back brace and I'm experiencing opposite results--my back feels better! I drive a desk most days but these last few days putting 20-40% of my weight into the back brace has taken a lot of stress off my lower back. I may ask for a kestrel desk when I get back to the office. :)

I've been hunting out of the kestrel with the back brace and I'm experiencing opposite results--my back feels better! I drive a desk most days but these last few days putting 20-40% of my weight into the back brace has taken a lot of stress off my lower back. I may ask for a kestrel desk when I get back to the office. :)

Same here. My Kestrel with the back band has been wonderful on my lower back. Can’t remember the last time I didn’t have any disc pain when using regular stands. Gotta be at least 25 years. Zero pain with my Kestrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. My Kestrel with the back band has been wonderful on my lower back. Can’t remember the last time I didn’t have any disc pain when using regular stands. Gotta be at least 25 years. Zero pain with my Kestrel.

Dewey, are you sitting, leaning or a little of both?

I tried out the back band on a couple hunts and it was very nice and comfy. I have never used one besides that, but I think saddle hunting is so much better for your back than treestands. I have a herniated disc and sciatica and standing and sitting in the saddle are really the only 2 times I don't feel any pain or tingling.

For your problem @Wlog, you were probably either sitting funny or just have to get back in saddle shape :D.

Reactions: WHW
I have 2 fused disc and one herniated disc I have to have some sort of relief after a couple of hours the back band works for me. I do have to say the saddle is so much better than a lock on. Give it a try new tribes back band is only like $27.00 if I remember correctly

First hunt in my sit drag yesterday after a 5 year hiatus from saddle hunting. Everything went really well other than only seeing 1.5 year old bucks and having a sore back when I got home.

I know I wasn't really paying attention to having good posture while I was in the tree but man was my back sore afterwards. Couple questions...Is this just a core strength issue? Would a back band help? Am I just out of saddle shape?

Sit drag is my only option right now. I'm waiting for the new kestrel and my TL Ambush that I used for several years has some stitching coming apart on the linemans belt loops, so I don't feel confident going in a tree with it.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
I would use use the back band. I had a back injury and it helps my back tremendously wouldn't hunt without it.

So I spent about 8 hours in my sit drag yesterday with no back pain whatsoever. I just adjusted up to where I was leaning rather than sitting and I stayed much more comfortable. Bad news is, target buck never showed up and I got pictures of a trespasser with bow in hand on one of my cams.

Back