• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Southern Midwest Worshop

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
I have bene talking to Dan Infalt for a few years to put together a scouting workshop for OK, MO, LA, TX area. I am still pursuing this but I think I am also going to reach out to John E. I am thinking about a public land workshop in East Oklahoma. This is phenomenal area and there are some great bucks and lots of different terrain. I am wanting to see how many folks might be interested in doing this. We could combine this with a Hog hunt although in OK the non-resident cost is high to shoot ham. TX is a much better deal. Hopefully there is enough interest to warrant the cost. I would also like to set up some additional seminar/days for things like Saddle hunting, filming hunts, etc.....

I know we have that pig thing back east, but some of us southern Midwest boys need some loving :)

PM me if you might be interested.

The more opportunities for get-togethers the better. But having a paid seminar would be more critical on participation.
I’ve been down this road on another forum with mud motors. There was the original and biggest get-together in La. But we craved more, so I hosted one in another part of La, then the Texas guys hosted one on their lake. It was good times, meeting the members and seeing their part of the woods. Seeing all the mods on their boats and motors. It was the building age of the surface drive mud motors and was exciting. It got sooo big that eventually you get a bad apple in the group that does something wrong and ruins it for everyone. The Big ride was the 1st to shut down. Then the other mud rides started to do private invite rides because they didn’t want to be held reliable if someone got hurt. Clicks formed, website got a taste of money coming in from sponsors, atmosphere of the forum changed because of rules needing to be strictly enforced and true opinions couldn’t be posted in fear of upsetting a sponsors. Huge waves of the original groups of guys that got the site going left in discuss. Site never was the same.
Next forum I got in at the beginning again. Great core group just like this site. Didn’t need strict rules. We set example of how we wanted people treated and everyone just understood and respected each other. Started small public land group hunts. Had great times. Popularity grew, small group hunts became huge and out of control, site became huge, sponsor money came in, lots of members, bad apples needed rules and enforcement, had to keep sponsors happy, original group slowly left the forum because it wasn’t what it started out as.
I see the same stages taking place here. Just hope it ends differently.
I warned the other forums. They said it will never happen, we are a close family, etc etc etc. history repeated itself. Those forums are still huge but it’s not the same close knit family like when it was starting out. Nature of the beast.

I experienced the same story with a different forum. Unfortunately I think that's a normal occurrence as communities grow. The best way I've seen it fixed is with strong moderation practices.

Eventually this forum will experience the same issues with bad apples. Luckily, we have @redsquirrel (pinksquirrel) that LOVES this forum and would do anything to protect it. He'l need some help one day, and some of us will need to step up and support him.

@DaveT1963 I think it's a great idea! I tried to get @John Eberhart to do a workshop in conjunction with SaddlePalooza, but the timing was off. I hope it works out - I'd love to do a diy hunt in Oklahoma. What's stopping you from coming to SaddlePalooza? @IkemanTX is coming from your neck of the woods.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Last edited:
I experienced the same story with a different forum. Unfortunately I think that's a normal occurrence as communities grow. The best way I've seen it fixed is with strong moderation practices.

Eventually this forum will experience the same issues with bad apples. Luckily, we have @redsquirrel (pinksquirrel) that LOVES this forum and would do anything to protect it. Hell need some help one day and some of us will need to step up and support him.

@DaveT1963 I think it's a great idea! I tried to get @John Eberhart to do a workshop in conjunction with SaddlePalooza, but the timing was off. I hope it works out - I'd love to do a diy hunt in Oklahoma. What's stopping you from coming to SaddlePalooza? @IkemanTX is coming from your neck of the woods.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I haven't ruled it out - but job and a serious lack of vacation days have hampered me. I would love to hang out with some of you and get to know people from behind the keyboard.

Last edited:
IMO the deciding factor is not the bad apples it's money. Once dollars and cents are involved the game changes. I'm not saying that to discourage anyone but it's a reality saddlehunter.com will have to deal with if it gets to that point.

@DaveT1963 as always, you know I would jump on an opportunity for a workshop related to our area.
You might also start a thread on TexasBowhunter since there’s not a lot of guys near us on saddlehunter. Might help with attendance numbers to actually get Dan or John E involved.

I bet I could drag @Scoutman into coming too haha.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back