• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sowing Some Romance

TexaninSconny

For those of you that are married or dating, I wanted to get a thread rolling with some ideas for you. As Maximus once said, “What we do in life (the off-season) echoes in eternity (hunting season). ;).

Of course, I don’t want any of you to do this just for selfish reasons, but if you can kill two birds with one stone…then why the heck not. Better marriages/relationships and better hunting seasons sounds like a win-win to me! So without further ado here’s a list I’ve been working on. Add your ideas in the comments.

1) Love Jar - A jar with 31 romantic quotes or specific messages to your loved one. One for Each day. PM me for a list of quotes. I’m happy to share.

2) Leave sticky notes around the house with what you appreciate about them.

3) Write a Poem

4) When you are with your partner surprise her/him by going live on social media and telling everyone what you love about him/her. You think dropping a 12-pointer at 40 yards at last light is powerful? Try being vulnerable. It’ll blow your mind.

5) If you got pipes that sound good sing her a song. I’ll just sing my wife the chorus from “My Girl” and it brings a giant smile to her face. If you don’t have pipes results may vary. Haha!

6)Watch a romantic movie together. Get your heart right and watch The Notebook with her once a year. Maybe before a trip so it counts more.

7) FaceTime some old friends together that you haven’t connected with in a long time. Look for things to compliment them on and ask engaging questions. Connection with others can increase connection between you and your spouse.

8) Coffee outside on the porch. Mention small things about her/him that you appreciate that often go unnoticed.

9) Write her a letter that strictly talks about what turns you on about her. The more descriptive the better. Tuck it under her pillow before bedtime.

10) Take her to a concert for a band she loves. Even if you hate their music. You get what you give.

11) Make a Playlist just for you and her. Songs that you love, but also those that connected you when you met or were dating.

12) If she enjoys baths draw her a bath. Epsom salts, essential oils, candles, etc…

13) Practice some extended time looking deep into her eyes. It’s uncomfortable at first, but it can be extremely connecting if you open yourself up.

14) Set up a day where she gets kidnapped by girlfriends and taken away for a day of fun you planned (shopping, restaurants, pedicures, massage, spa, etc…).

15) Send her on a scavenger hunt of spots that are important to you. Have her meet you for drinks and/or dinner at the end.

16) Give her a massage. Blindfold her and tell her to give you feedback on what feels good. Ask for specific feedback. Maybe even make it non-sexual so she knows it’s not even coming with a hidden motive.

17) Breakfast in Bed

18) Create a bucketlist together. The more connected you are the better your relationship will be.

19) Clean her car and gas it up.

20) Take the kids out to give her a quiet afternoon/evening alone.

21) Take a ride in the car/truck together. Play that playlist you created. (Especially if you own a Prius or Tesla…otherwise this may end up being one of your more expensive dates, LOL!)

22) Go for a hike together.

23) Take her on a picnic. Playlist in background.

24) Take dance lessons together.

25) Make her dinner. Drinks. Playlist in the background.

Alright, that’s a start. Let’s use the collective to add to this list so we have a resource to pull from. My ultimate goal is that we all have better relationships, but if we all have better hunting experiences because of this then that’s a nice added bonus.

HaHaHa!!!! I find this thread hilarious. If you have to somehow "bribe" your significant other" in order to go hunting I feel sorry for you. You have obviously chosen the wrong partner. My wife encourages me to go hunting as much as possible because she knows what makes me the happiest. Sitting in a tree somewhere with my bow in hand. By the way, I've been happily married for 35 years.

To ad to my last post. I do a lot of those things year round on a regular basis because that's what you do in order to keep a partner happy. It is a partnership after all.

I'm no marriage coach, but I'd say if the following don't play out in your marriage, you messed up.

My wife and I regularly inquire about and encourage each others hobbies, as 2 adults interested in each other sometimes do.

We both refrain from playing when it's time to work. If the house is filthy and company is coming over, or the fridge is empty, or money is tight...it's probably not the right time for either of us to play.

We also genuinely enjoy each other's company, and sometimes turn other things down to enjoy it. I fairly regularly will decide dinner in town or a lazy morning sipping coffee and cooking with her beats time alone.

If all those things are happening, I imagine nobody is complaining about their spouse being their own person. I think the last point in particular is huge.

To ad to my last post. I do a lot of those things year round on a regular basis because that's what you do in order to keep a partner happy. It is a partnership after all.
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. I just read a lot of posts on here where guys feel like their wife hates them for leaving on hunts. Just offering some things that have worked for me to get them started. 35 years is amazing!

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. I just read a lot of posts on here where guys feel like their wife hates them for leaving on hunts. Just offering some things that have worked for me to get them started. 35 years is amazing!
It's true. Some guys have women that just can't get enough of them I guess :tearsofjoy:

Best thing I have found it to multiple my brownie points.

Ex) write her a formal invitation letter to dinner at least 5-7 days in advance. Put down required attire, time, etc and make sure you setup child care if needed.

This way evertime she thinks about the pending date…. You get a point. Gottman said a Women will tend think about a pending romantic date as many times a day as we think about the other things! That means it’s at least 15 -30 points per day for the 5-7 period leading up to the date.

When she tells her friends… you get a point.

When she brags that you setup child care… you get a point.
When she picks out the clothes to wear…. You get a point.

if you want to go a step further ….. give her a couple hundred bucks with the invitation and the instructions to buy something nice for herself. You can rack up a ton of points while she is out shopping for a new outfit. Those are like freebie points.

Work smarter not harder!!!!

Best thing I have found it to multiple my brownie points.

Ex) write her a formal invitation letter to dinner at least 5-7 days in advance. Put down required attire, time, etc and make sure you setup child care if needed.

This way evertime she thinks about the pending date…. You get a point. Gottman said a Women will tend think about a pending romantic date as many times a day as we think about the other things! That means it’s at least 15 -30 points per day for the 5-7 period leading up to the date.

When she tells her friends… you get a point.

When she brags that you setup child care… you get a point.
When she picks out the clothes to wear…. You get a point.

if you want to go a step further ….. give her a couple hundred bucks with the invitation and the instructions to buy something nice for herself. You can rack up a ton of points while she is out shopping for a new outfit. Those are like freebie points.

Work smarter not harder!!!!
Love this!

Coming up on 20yrs together soon, it's definitely a partnership, we each do what needs to be done, and generally know that we are each pitching in all year round. I may slack a bit when I'm always out the door for the woods, but household chores always get done.

She has no problem with me going hunting 3-4 times a week during bow season. She knows I enjoy it, and am going, and accepted it. I practice in our yard several times a week, to train for hunting season, so during season its game time.

We just don't see something like going hunting as a source of contention, or anything to argue about. It's a cheap activity and I really enjoy it.

I'm so glad I married a medium maintenance woman

Back