• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spear Hunting

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oct 12, 2017
Where the skys are so blue!
Starved to death I assume?
Lol. He was pretty successful. If you ever swing by the Gulf Shores area his family bought a building and turned it into a spear hunting museum. I get the idea the dude was a bit eccentric.

All I remember was it was basically legal to spear hunt during archery season with a spear that had (i believe) a 2" wide or wider cutting diameter.

HuumanCreed

SH Member
Aug 21, 2020
Westminster Maryland
Here ya go:

592 big game animals laid low by one dude with a pointy stick. I've never been to the museum because I hate the tourist trap cesspool that is south Baldwin County but I've always enjoyed reading about Gene or watching him on the local TV now and then

But does it meet the Ashby's seal of approval?

PapaBear

Oct 21, 2020
Looked into it here in oregon. Does not fall in the category "any legal weapon" for during gun season

trailblazer75

Dec 24, 2018
Springfield, MO
Deer: Archery Allowed
Methods
Longbows, compound bows, and recurve bows of any draw weight

Crossbows
Hand-held string-releasing devices
Illuminated sights, scopes, and quickpoint sights
Atlatls
Deer: Archery Prohibited
Methods
Any sighting device that casts a beam of light on the game
You may not possess night vision or thermal imagery equipment while carrying a firearm, bow, or other implement used to take wildlife.
Use of electronic calls, electronically activated calls, bait, dogs, or night vision equipment
Live decoys may not be used to take turkeys.
Motor driven conveyances may not be used to take, drive or molest wildlife. Deer may not be hunted from a boat with a motor attached; however, a motorboat may be used to hunt other wildlife if the motor is shut off and the boat’s forward progress has stopped.
Archers hunting deer or turkeys during the archery season may not be in possession of a firearm. Some exceptions apply. See 3 CSR 10-7.432 and 3 CSR 10-7.455 of the Wildlife Code of Missouri.

The great state of Missouri will allow you to use a spear, just so long as you throw it from a stick first. See ATLATLS.

woodsdog2

SH Member
Jun 28, 2019
Does anyone spear hunt whitetails? Interested......
I would love too but illegal as it isn't defined in our regulations as a legal implement to use. Does you state allow it? Ours specifically spells out what type of "legal hunting implement" to use.