• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spend the money of sticks or the saddle.

MattMan81

SH Member
So I can't pick a saddle yet. I keep going back and fourth on what to order. Flex, JX3, or the H2.
I need to get some steps as well. I don't think DRT is for me. I see my self fumbling in the dark, dropping stuff, or just being to nosiy getting up.
So if I go with the flex or the JX3 I will probably end up with helium sticks. To keep the costs down. But I really want a set of beast sticks. But if I went that way I will go with the H2 saddle. Its price point is a little lower.
But then the sticks only get you up and down the tree. You sit in the saddle while you hunt.
Where do you guys think the money is better spent.

If you want to save money buy helium's. Don't buy beast sticks. Or just buy one stick and try one sticking. You can also use aider's to maximize your stick efficiency.

Then look for a good used saddle. They do not wear out very fast. You can save money on ropes by tying your own. Or look for slightly used ropes. I sold some here and I expect there may be more for sale since many people are switching ropes.
Many people start with a sit drag or make a fleece saddle and use a rock climbing harness. That is another alternative. Find someone in your area who has some saddles to try so you make the right choice for you. I love the Jx 3

You do not have to rush your decision. Deer hunting is over for most of us.

Last edited:
I'd put it into the saddle. That's where you will spend the time and where comfort counts. Of course, lots of folks say the H2 is pretty comfy

“Sticks only get ya up the tree.” Yup, but ya still gotta carry them and carrying heavy bulky sticks sucks. That’s why I building my own. I spent money on a few different saddles and found the H2 to be the most comfortable of all that I’ve tried.

My opinion. Buy once cry once. :tearsofjoy:

Tough call. Personally if you really have your heart set on what you want then I would buy it. If you buy something else then in a year you will probably be switching which will cost you some more $$ than buying it now..

There are soooooo many options, the most important thing is to decide what your style of hunting will be and start getting accustomed to your system it does not matter what you start out with once you get one “fix” you will continue “chasing the dragon”

Gonna be honest and say neither. If ya don’t know what ya want, buy used and figure it out. I haven’t sat in either of the saddles you mentioned, but I bet they are all perfectly comfortable...as are the mantis, phantom, Ambushes, etc. haven’t used Beast Sticks, but I bet they will climb a tree...just like Muddys, lone wolfs, helium’s, etc. you could buy a JX3 and Beast Sticks and you would still wonder how perfect an H2 and Helium’s would have been. Just my 2 sense...yes I know that’s not how it’s spelled.

Good luck bud!

-Chuck

Really depends how n your hunting style, and comfort needs level. If you can preset, put the money in the saddle. If you are a totally mobile, then the climbing method would be more important. If you have back issues hybrid like the jx3 might be the ticket. Whatever you do don’t wait till the last minute and then buy as lead times could be long. Used equipment comes up for sale all the time.

In my experience, I have spent way more money on climbing methods than saddles. I've owned and used four different makes of saddles over the years and for me there's not a lot of difference in comfort between any of them. There's small nuances of some I like better than others but there's not a bunch of difference unless you move toward a hybrid like the JX3.

Climbing methods are another story. There's a bunch of very different methods available. Before making a decision ask yourself what you're looking for out of a saddle system. For example, for me personally, I was primarily seeking a reduction of bulk and quieter access to my hunting spots. My climber rattled off of every waist high sapling in the forest. I felt a stack of sticks wouldn't necessarily solve that issue for me. Because of that I eventually wound up with a one stick climbing method because I can carry everything in my pack with no exposed metal to clank off of brush.

I have to admit though I tried (and spent a bunch doing so) many climbing methods before I found what worked for me. We're all looking for something slightly different and identifying those wants early could help save you some money in the long run.

That said, I have to admit I've fully enjoyed all the trial and error of seeking the next best thing and probably will still try new approaches. It keeps things interesting. :) Good luck in your choices!

Last year was my first year saddle hunting. I started in the spring reading thread after thread here trying to make the best choice for a saddle. I ended up buying the flex when they first came out. Worked great for me but I didn't have anything to compare it to. I figured that I wouldn't be buying any more saddles. I'm 70 years old. Now I'm reading more threads about newer saddles either out now or may be coming out. As @gameflogger said I got the fix and now chasing the dragon.

I forgot to add about my climbing method. After a lot of thread reading I went with we stepps. For Christmas I received hawk helium sticks. Haven't tried them yet. The stepps were a little difficult in winter with heavy weight bibs and coat and boots. I hope that sticks will be a little easier. Time will tell. I'll start practicing in spring.

I drive 45mins to the farm I hunt primarily. But want to venture into some public closer for some variety.
My big goal is concealment, and staying down wind. I had 3 ladder stands, and one regular tree stand at the farm I took down because I couldn't get them where I really wanted because of terrian or types of trees available. (Hills or no cover) Plus I like being able to get 360 around the tree better. If that's all I was gonna do, I would go with the JX3. But since I would like to try some closer public on some nights, the other options become appealing.
I am open to used stuff. But either the price isn't that great of a discount, or I am to slow.
If you single stick it, what happens if you loose your stick.... I'm usually by my self. So if I loose it down the tree. I might have a hard time getting down..
I do wanna get my stuff set before it warms up so I can practice through the summer so I am ready for fall. Don't wanna be learning in September..

I use LWCG mini-sticks and really love them. Use a Trophyline Ambush Pro as my saddle and love it. I got Muddy pros in the garage, WE stepps in the garage, and sold some Muddy pros about a week ago. Had a Mantis that I sold, want a Flex but am too cheap to pay up. It’s easy to get hung up on the hoopla, be careful, make sure what you buy is safe and satisfies your needs, and most of all enjoy it. Also, if your like me (but more self controlled) log out once you buy and don’t come back to this site as it will always make you question where the next patch of green grass is gonna grow.

-Chuck

I drive 45mins to the farm I hunt primarily. But want to venture into some public closer for some variety.
My big goal is concealment, and staying down wind. I had 3 ladder stands, and one regular tree stand at the farm I took down because I couldn't get them where I really wanted because of terrian or types of trees available. (Hills or no cover) Plus I like being able to get 360 around the tree better. If that's all I was gonna do, I would go with the JX3. But since I would like to try some closer public on some nights, the other options become appealing.
I am open to used stuff. But either the price isn't that great of a discount, or I am to slow.
If you single stick it, what happens if you loose your stick.... I'm usually by my self. So if I loose it down the tree. I might have a hard time getting down..
I do wanna get my stuff set before it warms up so I can practice through the summer so I am ready for fall. Don't wanna be learning in September..
Where are you located? I am sure there are people on here who would meet up to let you try out what is available. Could save you $$ down the road.

Yep.
Also, if your like me (but more self controlled) log out once you buy and don’t come back to this site as it will always make you question where the next patch of green grass is gonna grow.

I would get a rock climbing harness. They are inexpensive. Buy some rope and practice hanging from it and climbing it. If you decide to try a fleece saddle or a sit drag you will need it. If you one stick you will need to get used to sitting while hanging from a tether on the side of a tree anyway. All the cool kids seem to be one sticking these days. Four sticks are just so 2019ish. :D

Back