• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spinning vs Static inserts

bushwookie88

SH Member
Im very new to bow hunting but I love to experiment.
I was looking around Ethics Archery(Im working on FOC focused arrows) and saw static vs spinning inserts.
Anyone have an experience with the spinning ones?

I talked to Hoss at Ethics a while back, and his take was they will help with your accuracy by stabilizing the arrow, but at a cost of adding a potential failure point to the arrow (e.g., the insert jams and stops spinning). My take away was that if you're going to spend time tuning your bow and arrows they're not needed. This is similar to the mechanical vs fixed blade broadhead decision.

I actually bought 6 of these and use 150 grain magnus stingers on them. Fly just like my field points with zero broadhead tuning. Does this mean that the spinning inserts are actually working as intended?...im not sure. it might just be luck or the broadheads just fly straight anyway. Ive asked "Ranch Fairy" if he had a chance to test them because he works with ethics alot. He said hes never used them and didnt seem very interested in trying them but i might send him a pack anyway. Ethics makes awesome products. I can only imagine after blowing through the good stuff on a deer they would get gunked up but have not had the chance to test them yet. They are super pricey so hopefully they thought that part through and you can just rinse and re-use

i may not even hunt with them who knows... they are fun to play with though lol

NAP made a broadhead called the Razorback, years ago, that did the same thing. You might google that to see what people had to say.

They make a spinning insert for field points too. i dont really understand how that can even help. might all be snake oil but they got ME to buy it haha. Ive talked to Hoss a couple times too. Hes a really good dude and very helpful. Those guys know their stuff for sure. call them up @bushwookie88 and they will help you decide whats best for you

I actually bought 6 of these and use 150 grain magnus stingers on them. Fly just like my field points with zero broadhead tuning. Does this mean that the spinning inserts are actually working as intended?...im not sure. it might just be luck or the broadheads just fly straight anyway. Ive asked "Ranch Fairy" if he had a chance to test them because he works with ethics alot. He said hes never used them and didnt seem very interested in trying them but i might send him a pack anyway. Ethics makes awesome products. I can only imagine after blowing through the good stuff on a deer they would get gunked up but have not had the chance to test them yet. They are super pricey so hopefully they thought that part through and you can just rinse and re-use

Thats an issue Ive thought about also. My thought process was "more moving parts, more chance to mess up". Ah, yes Ranch Fairy. Love his stuff. He's helping with building a high FOC arrow for hunting this year. Cool dude.

If i were you I would go with a heavy insert/footer and just get everything tuned up good. With the heavy FOC arrows you prolly arent gonna take shots past 30 yds anyways are you? Point of impact wont change enough in that short of distance to really matter. if youre hunting its not gonna be a game changer besides your confidence levels. :sunglasses:

If you had a broadhead flying wrong and planing, would you want to force it to rotate in order for the force of planing to hit all sides and have a sort of gyroscopic stability, or would you want it just doing its own thing and finding the most stable point regarding just the rotation of that point? 'Cause I think the broadhead is just going to spin until it finds a spot with balanced wind forces. Does that spot correspond with the goal of getting an arrow to fly straight? I have no clue, but I don't think the two are obviously and necessarily connected.

I think if this was a great idea, I think we'd see everyone doing it (patent laws allowing). Of course, an experiment is now in order.......

If i were you I would go with a heavy insert/footer and just get everything tuned up good. With the heavy FOC arrows you prolly arent gonna take shots past 30 yds anyways are you? Point of impact wont change enough in that short of distance to really matter. if youre hunting its not gonna be a game changer besides your confidence levels. :sunglasses:
The most Ill go is probably 40 max...and thats a big if.

If you had a broadhead flying wrong and planing, would you want to force it to rotate in order for the force of planing to hit all sides and have a sort of gyroscopic stability, or would you want it just doing its own thing and finding the most stable point regarding just the rotation of that point? 'Cause I think the broadhead is just going to spin until it finds a spot with balanced wind forces. Does that spot correspond with the goal of getting an arrow to fly straight? I have no clue, but I don't think the two are obviously and necessarily connected.

I think if this was a great idea, I think we'd see everyone doing it (patent laws allowing). Of course, an experiment is now in order.......
I mean heavy arrows in general was a great idea. Dont see too many people doing it. In other words, you can't walk in to your average joe bow shop or bass pro and build a 25% foc moose misile

its also not exactly a simple piece of equipment like a standard insert is. Most people just use the inserts that came with the shafts. I fletch, cut and install everything myself mostly because I enjoy it but also because I can customize it how . Its like fly tying. Fun to catch a trout on something you created. But i get it. Who knows how much it really helps

its also not exactly a simple piece of equipment like a standard insert is. Most people just use the inserts that came with the shafts. I fletch, cut and install everything myself mostly because I enjoy it but also because I can customize it how . Its like fly tying. Fun to catch a trout on something you created. But i get it. Who knows how much it really helps
Im completely new to bow hunting and love to experiment/build things like that. Its definitely overwhelming getting into bow hunting. Ive got people telling choose this brand, that brand, no this brand.
So I just decided to chase the idea of complete pass through, this brought me to Ranch Fairy and heavy arrows. So we will see.

I think you're on the right track man. My buddy is in the same boat as you. its funny when you show an old head your setup that's been shooting 380 gn arrows. They look at you like you're an idiot. If you watch ranch fairy you prolly already watch hunting public but those guys will actually TEACH you stuff. Not try and sell this and that. Spend your money where it counts.

Definitely get your bow tuned up right from a tech who really knows what he/she is doing (I have a girl at basspro near me that's awesome) it will make a huge difference. Sadly, most guys really just don't care how YOUR bow shoots and want to get you in and out. Especially at stores like bass pro. I was kinda blown away when she first helped me. Better lookin than ol "Earl" too. Last tid bit would be to absolutely paper tune with a bare shaft or shoot bare shaft into a target that won't move and see how your arrows are flying. I have tried both and its just as easy to do without paper as far as hunting accuracy is concerned. Get it close enough to straight and you should be fine!

Definitely get your bow tuned up right from a tech who really knows what he/she is doing (I have a girl at basspro near me that's awesome) it will make a huge difference. Sadly, most guys really just don't care how YOUR bow shoots and want to get you in and out. Especially at stores like bass pro. I was kinda blown away when she first helped me. Better lookin than ol "Earl" too. Last tid bit would be to absolutely paper tune with a bare shaft or shoot bare shaft into a target that won't move and see how your arrows are flying. I have tried both and its just as easy to do without paper as far as hunting accuracy is concerned. Get it close enough to straight and you should be fine!
Gotcha man, Ive started the process. Got heavy (200-300gr) field tips coming in. Right now Im running Axis SPT 400 spine, might change it up after I see how they fly with the heavier tips.
I shoot #52 with 27in draw so we will see.

Back