• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Splicing 3/16 Amsteel

Hello,

Anyone have any tips for splicing 3/16 amsteel? What size fid should I be trying? Any tips appreciated!

What are you trying to make?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Hello,

Anyone have any tips for splicing 3/16 amsteel? What size fid should I be trying? Any tips appreciated!
I don’t use a fid on small amsteel, I went to Home Depot and bought some 18 gauge copper wire used for hanging pictures- it’s in the general hardware section- and I fold the wire over long enough to run the length of the bury I am making. You can cut the tail at a light taper and clinch the wire around it. It pulls fairly easy as long as you take your time and don’t create distortion bends in the wire, and be very careful not to snag any dyneema threads inside the rope because it will damage the rope slightly, but the biggest thing is it will make your pulling experience god-awful

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying to splice an eye at one end and a bury at the other.
Just remember there is a formula for how long your bury needs to be to maintain strength. For 3/16” the bury is approximately 10”. Also research on how you plan to lock the bury in place because amsteel is strong when loaded but very slippery when it’s not loaded. So if you are not making a whoopie sling, you’ll either want to perform a locking Brummell or you’ll want to get some dyneema thread and sew a few holding stitches through the buries.

You can use 1/4” fid and some string wire to do 3/16 or a knitting needle cut in angle in back end

Back