• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Splicing Amsteel

Jefferson10940

Staff member
Vendor Rep
SH Member
For all you splicers ... do you use the splicing tools or just tape off the ends and feed it that way? If you use tools what do you recommend for Amsteel the size on ernies platform. I think it may be 1/4 or slightly smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For all you splicers ... do you use the splicing tools or just tape off the ends and feed it that way? If you use tools what do you recommend for Amsteel the size on ernies platform. I think it may be 1/4 or slightly smaller.

I use tape to push it through itself, but then use some fishing leader wire to do the actual splice. I tried 7/64 on my platform, but when you put side pressure on the platform it doesn't grip the tree and will slide. 1/4" works great.

I have the Samson splicing set and multiple other fids. I also use a loop turner for splicing small diameters.

You don't need any fids or special tools to splice, but they certainly make it easier.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I have spliced 7/64 amsteel using a very thin wire . I used twisted picture hanging wire that I untwisted & used a single strand. Thicker amsteel is easier to splice

You can make a fid really easily.

Run to any craft store and buy a knitting needle set of appropriate diameter (I recommend you at least splurge for a manly color). Cut off one end at an angle, smooth out any rough spots and stand back and admire your new fid! Say a toast to your frugalness.

Each 'fid' has a specific length associate with the diameter of the rope to be spliced. You can get real fancy if you cut your knitting needle to a specific length for your rope size. As for me, I'm not too fancy.

https://www.animatedknots.com/brummel/index.php
Have any of you splicers tried this before? I am looking to do an amsteel bridge on my kestrel, but would prefer not having to sew anything. Or is sewing the splice the proper and safest way to secure the rope? Your thoughts and perspectives are appreciated.

Last edited:
https://www.animatedknots.com/brummel/index.php
Have any of you splicers tried this before? I am looking to do an amsteel bridge on my kestrel, but would prefer not having to sew anything. Or is sewing the splice the proper and safest way to secure the rope? Your thoughts and perspectives are appreciated.

The problem with the brummel done that way is you can’t use it without having to sew the connections to the saddle AFTER the brummel is made. It won’t capture the loop.

Last edited:
G2 covered this towards the end, but you have to lock stitch it, which I guess is kinda like sewing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

G2 covered this towards the end, but you have to lock stitch it, which I guess is kinda like sewing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I did see that at the end of his video, but the animated knot video shows how to do the brummel when you don’t have two free ends, but they don’t show any lock stitching in their video. But they do discuss lock stitching in the foot notes. I’m not opposed to stitching after the splice, just wondered if you could splice without lock stitching to finish.

Last edited:
There's not a way that I've found. If you do, let us know!

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Sure thing, but the more I read about splicing, it is always advised to lock stitch to finish. Safety, reliability, and peace of mind are top priorities. I appreciate all of your input guys.

When I saw y'all had 2 lock brummels on the amsteel Bridge on the Mantis I thought in all your infinite DIY Wizardry you had found a way. Then I realized y'all must have made the bridge and then sewed the loupe on the saddle like you did on the DIY sit drag build.
There's not a way that I've found. If you do, let us know!

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

When I saw y'all had 2 lock brummels on the amsteel Bridge on the Mantis I thought in all your infinite DIY Wizardry you had found a way. Then I realized y'all must have made the bridge and then sewed the loupe on the saddle like you did on the DIY sit drag build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Yup. Exactly. There is no better bridge material than Amsteel. Period. There is no better way to (safely) build a bridge/saddle for commercial sale than 2 locked brummels. It's safe, idiot proof, ridiculously strong, and will work for 99% of hunters.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Back