• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spray paint camo on rain gear?

Marmuzz

Has anyone spray painted rain gear with good results?

I have a pair of Nike Storm Fit rain pants, 100% nylon material shell. 10 years old, swishy loud, but bone dry. And solid BLACK. I’d like to spray paint on a camo pattern to conceal a little more.

I don’t care about compromising breathability (it’s not that hot when I hunt) but I’d hate to ruin the waterproofing ability. Wondering if anyone else has done this and still stayed dry.

No, but I've read that proper breathability/air permeability is apparently necessary for some materials to be waterproof. Not breathability like letting sweat evaporate, but allowing water to not mat against the all layers of the material and then seep through.

Last year before vacation I was reading up on articles on rejuvinating old rain gear and that was the impression I got. Something about dirt and dust essentially cakes up the outer layers and then water can't bead off and leaks through... so said NikWax waterproofing detergent I bought. It kinda worked to bring new life to my old North Face jacket... until the Hawaiian downpours found the old seams and then it was game over.

Maybe it's all a bunch of crap and once the waterproof coating is gone it's gone. I was just wondering if there's merit to it and/or if a layer of spray paint would cause leaking in the same way by inhibiting how water interacts with the surface layer. Idk.

What about some type of textured paint that rolls on with a textured roller? Like this boat deck.

It would give the camo break up. But would still allow more breathability maybe ?

I would imagine you can use a waterproof paint, so the area you paint, plus the fabric under it remains waterproof. Then the areas that get missed by the relief in the roller aren’t subjected to overspray or chemical.

7D79BE09-BADC-4033-A34A-FA6A5382AC66.png

I’m actually pondering this route using a silicone solvent and dunking a pair of different (regular Walmart cotton Realtree) pants. If it treats the interior of the fabric they might feel clammy when humid but if they stay dry on the exterior, great.

Automotive stores sell spray paint for fabric.

this.....i was going to suggest duplicolor vinyl paint (for use on inside of cars)

spray it on a sponge and dab as little of a light color (tan?) as you think is needed

really though, if you have a non-black top on, the black will probably help to break up your outline to the deer and won't be an issue

Black is the absolute worst color to wear in the woods in my opinion. There’s only three roughly human sized things that are black and common in the woods in North America. Turkeys bears and hogs. All are things rednecks want to shoot.

And we humans have a knack for convincing ourselves that what we want to see is what we see.

Black is the absolute worst color to wear in the woods in my opinion. There’s only three roughly human sized things that are black and common in the woods in North America. Turkeys bears and hogs. All are things rednecks want to shoot.

And we humans have a knack for convincing ourselves that what we want to see is what we see.

good call....this is more important than some black pants potentially sticking out to a deer

i experience when i want to see the trail of an animal through an area, but really it is just random ground disturbance/snow melt that my eye lines up

if i look at another area, i'll see a trail there too, if i'm in that mood....that's when i know i'm full of it

Back