• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spur Carry Bag

Skewerer

What are folks using to carry your spurs in and out of the woods and then storing them in while hunting? I was thinking that a dive bag like the one pictured might be a good option. They are light and the price is right. Anybody use something like this and have reviews or use something better?

I carry a fanny pack only and really don't want to upgrade to a full pack just to carry the spurs.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 23
I just carry mine. I might use a versa strap or some kind of sling to throw them over my shoulder. I could strap them to the back of my pack with my predator platform, but for now, I just carry them.

I just carry mine. I might use a versa strap or some kind of sling to throw them over my shoulder. I could strap them to the back of my pack with my predator platform, but for now, I just carry them.

How do you secure them while in the tree? I'm scared to death of dropping mine!

I use the leg straps to strap them to a tree branch. Or I hang them upside down from a crotch in the tree. I can also hang them from my HYS Gear Strap. Or, I even leave them on for some evening hunts where I know I'm only in the tree for a limited time, 2-3 hours.

That's not a bad idea to leave them on (with spur covers on) after maybe loosening them first. Most of my hunts are short. I'll have to experiment to see how comfortable they are with ROS.

I strap mine to the bottom of my fanny pack for the walk in and out. I have a large nite eyes gear tie on my tree strap and I use it to hang the spurs while in the tree. I am always a little nervous about dropping them also.

I strap mine to the bottom of my fanny pack for the walk in and out. I have a large nite eyes gear tie on my tree strap and I use it to hang the spurs while in the tree. I am always a little nervous about dropping them also.
It would probably be wise of us to have a retrieval grapple in our gear for such an occasion. It's not a matter of being inconvenienced. It's much more than that if we drop a spur or two.

That's not a bad idea to leave them on (with spur covers on) after maybe loosening them first. Most of my hunts are short. I'll have to experiment to see how comfortable they are with ROS.
Wrap them up in Vet Tape to take the metal contact out of the picture. I have mine wrapped around everything except the bottom inch or so of the actual spur.

It would probably be wise of us to have a retrieval grapple in our gear for such an occasion. It's not a matter of being inconvenienced. It's much more than that if we drop a spur or two.

I agree. I always have two versa straps with me. One is my gear hanger and one is my backband. So, I have another safe method to get down but, it wouldn't be fun or quick.

I wouldn't loosen them very much. You don't want them slipping around as you move on your ROS or platform.

I'll experiment this evening. You guys have given me some good ideas.

We all get good ideas on here. Let us know how it works, or what works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We all get good ideas on here. Let us know how it works, or what works.

So, I played around with the spurs last night. I think Ieaving them on while in the tree is definitely an option for me. I also played around with flipping them around so that the spurs point out instead of in after reaching hunting height. I liked that configuration better as (1) I could put my feet all the way together without the spurs bumping, (2) the spur can never come in contact with my opposite leg or the ROS/strap that way, (3) as such, I don't need spur covers on while in the tree, (4) I never have to remove the calf strap completely and can just spin the spur around my leg (eliminates drop risk).

Then that got me thinking, why not just walk in with them on that way...or maybe attached higher up my leg with my feet out of the stirrup? More thinking to do on that, but that idea may have legs... :)

Success! Replaces kneepads.
176eb6964fd4a6c9456b24258b0cbda9.jpg
c97179ca1b536bfb26ed3332f788e524.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I kept mine on again last night. The only thing you have to worry about is clanking the spurs together while turning around on the platform. Otherwise, I find them useful in getting around the tree, like a ring of steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kept mine on in the tree a lot but lately have been taking them off since I have a great retrieval hook I’m not worried about dropping them. It’s so much more comfortable with them off.

Back