• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spurs up, how to come down?

predatorhunter

So I have been using Spurs for all my climbing this year. So far, I have also been using Spurs to climb down as well. Read everything on this sight that I found searching for Rappel(some good info).

Question I am trying to answer without spending more money. Would I like rappeling down better?
Pros: Don't have to put spurs back on in the tree.
Spurs and tree squeeze can already be packed up.
If there where any branches I had to deal with going up, will not be an issue going down
Provides two ways to get down it something went south (rappel and spurs)

Cons: Two more things to carry, rappel rope and ATC
More weight and bulk to haul around the forest. With Oplux, the weight is minimized.
Chance Climbing rope will get hung up - chances?
More rope management after decent. (climb rope)
Spend more money

Those that have made this decision one way or the other. Which did you choose and are you happy with the decision? Other things to consider?

I use the Madrock Safeguard as well, with 40ft of Oplux. Sometimes I rappel, sometimes I spike back down. I don't think there is a huge time saving by using one or the other but I like having the option to rappel in case of emergency. The weight of the extra rope and rappel device is minimal so it's worth carrying to me. Straight tree, minimal branches, spike back down. Slight lean to the tree or lots of branches, rappel.

I tried the whole rapper thing for a season and it IS fun, but I found the hassle to be more than I wanted to deal with. Setting up the rope to rappel is more work than putting on spurs and I ALWAYS had trouble getting the rope free from the tree and then dealing with a tangled mess in brush. It wasn’t fun. I simply climb down now and don’t mind it at all. Just less stuff to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t tried to repel but the thought of carrying more gear in makes me dismiss the idea.

I tried the whole rapper thing for a season and it IS fun, but I found the hassle to be more than I wanted to deal with. Setting up the rope to rappel is more work than putting on spurs and I ALWAYS had trouble getting the rope free from the tree and then dealing with a tangled mess in brush. It wasn’t fun. I simply climb down now and don’t mind it at all. Just less stuff to deal with.

Flingin is right on this. When I one sticked rappelling made the whole system worth while. With spurs it just doesn’t make sense. Spur up spur down.

Mod your spurs to be two snap together buckles per spur, one top one bottom. I find them simple to put back on from my platform with these mods.

Flingin is right on this. When I one sticked rappelling made the whole system worth while. With spurs it just doesn’t make sense. Spur up spur down.

Mod your spurs to be two snap together buckles per spur, one top one bottom. I find them simple to put back on from my platform with these mods.
My spurs are already modd'ed. I went with the metal cobra buckles instead of the plastic buckles but the ease is the same. I don't find putting the spurs on too difficult.

So far, the comments are saving me money. That I like.

I have not tried rappeling down but have seriously considered it only because I find it difficult to put the spurs back on when using a ROS. Never felt the need when hunting with a platform.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have not tried rappeling down but have seriously considered it only because I find it difficult to put the spurs back on when using a ROS. Never felt the need when hunting with a platform.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I agree with you on the ROS vs platform. When I was experimenting with a ROS, I used 1 WE Stepp and then Squirrel Steps. the WE Step did help with putting on the Spurs. Right now I am using a Predator and two Squirrel Steps.

I agree with you on the ROS vs platform. When I was experimenting with a ROS, I used 1 WE Stepp and then Squirrel Steps. the WE Step did help with putting on the Spurs. Right now I am using a Predator and two Squirrel Steps.

Are you also putting the squirrel steps on the predator platform strap?

I use the Madrock Safeguard as well, with 40ft of Oplux. Sometimes I rappel, sometimes I spike back down. I don't think there is a huge time saving by using one or the other but I like having the option to rappel in case of emergency. The weight of the extra rope and rappel device is minimal so it's worth carrying to me. Straight tree, minimal branches, spike back down. Slight lean to the tree or lots of branches, rappel.

I use the same setup.

Are you also putting the squirrel steps on the predator platform strap?

No, I use a separate strap with OCB buckle for the steps. Helps keep them level with the platform.

I have a Ridge Runner on order. When that arrives I will evaluate putting the steps on the same strap. Mostly because there is no gap between the platform and tree to run the OCB strap for the step when using the RR.

Reactions: PJC
Update, received my Ridge Runner Friday. Did some testing here at home and deployed the steps on the same strap as the Ridge Runner hunting Saturday. Total of 7 hours and not a single problem with the steps on the same strap. I like it.

Also, I am going to give rappelling a try. The tree I climbed yesterday had 4 branches I had to maneuver. Rappelling down would have been much easier if it works the way I envision. Rope is on order, I already have everything else.

Back