• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Squirrel steps and bullman SA steps both with OCB

iamcorey

Can anyone give me an idea of the differences in the two steps for a climbing method (other than one is plastic)?

I have the squirrel steps for climbing, but for some reason keep eyeballing the SA steps. I've yet come to terms with having this much tied up in a climbing method. Overall I'm pretty happy with the squirrels performance wise.

I keep reading the SAs can get just as tight with an OCB, but what about bulk and handling? Do they have any flex on the tree when climbing?

If you already have squirrel steps, bullmans have 0 advantage over them. I haven't used them with an OCB, but I highly doubt they will be just as stable as a squirrel step due to the strap slot design and placement.

No experience with either of them when being used as steps but as being one who has used them both for a ROS... I can say that you will not find a lighter, more packable step configuration than Squirrel Steps. Bullman steps were crazy big compared to the Squirrel Steps.

I have the bullman steps. I use them to climb on the cam buckles they ship with and use them as ROS on DanOs ocb/strap combo. I've had no issues with stability. Understand that when climbing they do not and are not meant to handle side pressure - Bullman explains this clearly in their demo vids. They attach like a climbing stick - strap on then pull down to lock in place. As long as you step straight down on the steps they work as described and I've had no problems doing so. The ROS on the ocb have been rock solid handling any and all side pressure I give them. I pack 10 steps for climbing in the bag Bullman shipped with them and I carry 6 on ROS in my pack. They do not nest together. I've not handled squirrel steps but by the looks I'd bet they pack much more neatly. I haven't found myself wishing these packed any smaller as everything I need fits where I want it.

Can anyone give me an idea of the differences in the two steps for a climbing method (other than one is plastic)?

I have the squirrel steps for climbing, but for some reason keep eyeballing the SA steps. I've yet come to terms with having this much tied up in a climbing method. Overall I'm pretty happy with the squirrels performance wise.

I keep reading the SAs can get just as tight with an OCB, but what about bulk and handling? Do they have any flex on the tree when climbing?

Ive tried both and prefer bullmans since they are double the width. way easier on your feet. solid as hell wit the ocbs and handle side pressure all day.

here is a quick write up I did: https://saddlehunter.com/community/...approach-steps-dano-ocb-straps-awesome.18475/

Back