• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT on 3/16" UHMWPE (Amsteel)

bj139

I bought a 50 foot winch rope kit kit from HF made from UHMWPE. I was thinking 50 feet is the perfect length for an SRT climbing line. I tried hanging from the line with my Petzl ascender and it worked OK. The rope was a little deformed but it is tough and strong. I have been thinking about trying a Texas climbing system for SRT so I already have right and left hand ascenders. Using this rope would be the ultimate lightweight climbing line. I tried it through a GriGri and it would not hold. Getting down from the tree may be a problem. I could downclimb using the ascenders but this is not exciting or maybe it might be TOO exciting. :D
Anyway, I have not been in trouble on SH for many days now, so I figured I would just post this idea. Do you think I will shoot my eye out? :D

I have used a Amsteel for years on hammocks with various hardware. Amsteel generally doesn’t like tight radius bends or being compressed. If you do this, inspect the full length of the rope after every single use.
I hope you report back that it works great with no downside. That would be awesome. I have some 3/16 Amsteel Blue. I might try a short rappel with a figure 8 plate. My brain tells me it will be too slippery in standard configuration with a regular 8, but I also have a mini rescue 8 that I could use the ears to add friction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have used a Amsteel for years on hammocks with various hardware. Amsteel generally doesn’t like tight radius bends or being compressed. If you do this, inspect the full length of the rope after every single use.
I hope you report back that it works great with no downside. That would be awesome. I have some 3/16 Amsteel Blue. I might try a short rappel with a figure 8 plate. My brain tells me it will be too slippery in standard configuration with a regular 8, but I also have a mini rescue 8 that I could use the ears to add friction.

I tried a figure eight hanging from my pullup bar inside. With 3 loops through the figure eight I could hold my weight with one hand without an autoblock. The thought occurred to me about the low melting point of Amsteel and would this be a concern in rappeling. I guess for 20 feet it would not.

I tried a figure eight hanging from my pullup bar inside. With 3 loops through the figure eight I could hold my weight with one hand without an autoblock. The thought occurred to me about the low melting point of Amsteel and would this be a concern in rappeling. I guess for 20 feet it would not.

Actually, it might be a concern. I accidentally had a hammock webbing connection to an Amsteel continuous loop come loose one time. It lowered me about three feet to the ground at slightly faster than what I would consider normal rappel speed. It burned that Amsteel to the point that I decided to replace it immediately.

I tried adding my Beal jammy to the UHMWPE rope but it would not grab. The UHMWPE is smaller in diameter than the Beal jammy so that does not help. I think I will abandon this effort. It's only advantage seems to be ultralight weight which I don't really care about. This is my first experience with UHMWPE and I DO NOT like it. It is too thin to have good hand feel. Rope works better.

I tried adding my Beal jammy to the UHMWPE rope but it would not grab. The UHMWPE is smaller in diameter than the Beal jammy so that does not help. I think I will abandon this effort. It's only advantage seems to be ultralight weight which I don't really care about. This is my first experience with UHMWPE and I DO NOT like it. It is too thin to have good hand feel. Rope works better.
Good call

Don’t forget your yard dart helmet during testing.

db7539bda5e91f16e68fcfc66646cd32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank goodness.

If lightweight and packability is your goal, seems like Oplux is the way to go.
@DanO brought some Oplux to the North Central PA Saddlehunting Meetup and I was able to hang from it a little. It DOES NOT stretch at all. Nice. I am feeling an Oplux purchase in my future.

Some videos. Enjoy. Haven't fallen out of a tree yet. The camera on the ground method is simple and OK for showing methods.

Back