• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

srt

1. F

C-IV slipping with Safeguard

I have been using a Madrock Safeguard for just over 1 year as my ascender/descender in an SRT setup. I briefly used monster 10mm static rope then 1 season using blue water 10.5mm static rope and most recently Sterling C-IV 9mm static rope. The device performed as expected until I started using...
  2. RandomHero18

Budget SRT?

Hey everyone I recently came across this video of NYSH: I love the idea of this method and I think is exactly what I would be looking for. My family has land that I hunt so presets can be put up all day. However I recently had my first child and disposable income is tough to come by at the...
  3. knightwyrm

SRT Gear

SRT Gear - All used only a few times in the back yard... Rock Exotica Mini 8 - $25 TYD Rock Exotica Rock0 Carabiner - $15 TYD Petzl Roll Clip Z - $35 TYD Petzl Foot Tape Foot Loop - $20 TYD Kong Hand Ascender Left - $40 TYD
  4. K

How heavy is your SRT setup?

Hey all, I have been taking my SRT setup elk hunting, and boy does it feel heavy climbing the mountains. I want to setup on some waterholes and saddles farther up the mountain, and I'm thinking about what I can do to lighten my setup. Do you carry 1 or 2 throwbags? Mine are 12 oz and I've been...
  5. J

Srt and being at height

Complete saddle noob here, I’m actually ordering my first saddle when I get paid next week (Treehopper Transformer). Researching climbing methods, I think I’ve settled on srt to get to hunting height. Question is, when you guys get to your desired height do you make a secondary attachment to...
  6. P

Knot to tie climbing rope to throw rope for SRT

With a pre-set or with the throw line, what knot are you using to tie on your climbing rope so it doesn’t get hung up In the crotch of the tree or slip out on the pull?
  7. Jtaylor

JRB Climbing method

So I'm not sure if he's a forum member but I stumbled across this a couple weeks ago in a quest to be fully tied off and as safe as possible getting up the tree. Anyone have any comments/concerns? Apologies if this has already been discussed and posted...
  8. K

New SRT climber, help please!

Hey everyone, I did my first SRT ascent yesterday afternoon - and while I did get up and down the tree safely I ran into a number of issues. I did some searches but didn't find what I'm looking for. I'm climbing with a hand ascender, foot loop and grigri. 1st issue: Girth hitching the trunk...
  9. Red Beard

SOLD PLEASE CLOSE. Foot ascender

Climbing Technology (CT) foot ascender for sale - $65tyd. Rated for 8mm-13mm rope.
  10. S

Talk me out of SRT

Background: rappelling experience prior to becoming saddle hunter, been one sticking for about a season and a half, always rappel down. Currently running canyon fire 8mm. Just did a phantis diy adjustable bridge. I believe all I need is a lefty hand ascender with foot loop. Will use progress...
  11. bj139

SRT on 3/16" UHMWPE (Amsteel)

I bought a 50 foot winch rope kit kit from HF made from UHMWPE. I was thinking 50 feet is the perfect length for an SRT climbing line. I tried hanging from the line with my Petzl ascender and it worked OK. The rope was a little deformed but it is tough and strong. I have been thinking about...
  12. Red Beard

SRT kit for sale or trade (Lone Wolf Hand Climber)

Just about everything you need for a ropewalking SRT kit. Or... everything you need for a JCLINE84 kit. Add a throw weight (and knee ascender if ropewalking) and you're in business. Selling for $150tyd. Will also trade for a Lone Wolf Hand Climber. Kit includes: Foot ascender Hand ascender (I'm...
  13. Red Beard

WTT/WTS: Foot ascender

I've got a CMI foot ascender (RIGHT foot) that I'd like to trade for a name brand, 8mm rated, hand ascender (LEFT hand). Looking for a Climbing Technology Quick Roll, Petzl Ascension, ISC Pro, CMC, or similar. An included foot loop would be awesome and a double hand ascender would be...
  14. okccj

SOLD Complete rappel / SRT package

40 ft 9mm static kernmantle rope MadRock Safeguard Short Bridge with carabiners (Metolius Bravo II Wiregate Long Draw - Black/Yellow 12") Climbing Technology Quick Roll Ascender, (this ascender has a built in pulley which eliminates noise and makes rope advancement a breeze) Throwline and 12oz...
  15. T

Pine Tree Anchor Points

Most of the areas I hunt are leased southern pine forests with few hardwoods. Prior to next season, I would like to pick some pine trees and leave para cord in the trees to pull up a rope for SRT ascent. I don't trust the branches. I can go over a branch and around the trunk with the para cord...
  16. Outdoorguy86

Blue Water 7/16 Static Rope (black)

Selling some extra rope I’ve had stored. Never used, kept in temp controlled basement. I had 300’, but just started using 75’ of it for SRT this year, works great. I am selling the remainder of rope, roughly 225’. I am willing to sell 100’ sections, or the rope as a whole. Will sell 100’ for $80...
  17. Red Beard

DIY knee ascender build

Picked up SRT awhile back using the leapfrog method that @JCLINE84 demonstrates in his videos. Eventually came across a CMI foot ascender and wanted to try rope walking. Knee ascenders are a lot of pesos, so I ended up repurposing my hand ascender. Think it turned out nicely. Paired with the...
  18. B

Question for adding amsteel to stepps and SRT rappel

Hi All, Firstly as a new member, I’d like to thank everyone who contribute to these forums. The amount of knowledge and insight within this community is really an awesome thing. Anyways, this will be my first year saddle hunting. Hoping to practice in my flex saddle next week. I’m looking for...
  19. DanO

POLL: SRT/Rappel Rope Length

Getting into SRT/Rappel as another option for getting to height. Some of the ropes I'm looking at aren't cheap, but want to buy the right rope and the right length. Let me know what you use and why.
  20. Murph4028

SRT problems

Ok so I am still new to SRT and still working the kinks out. I really like climbing this way but if the issue I'm having can't get fixed I may have to reconsider my climbing method. So here's what's going on... -Walk up to tree with pre set throw line already set -I connect the tag end to the...
Back