• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT practical?

Mitchellfarmer1982

Ok so I just got into saddle hunting. Using a RCH and sitdrag. I've been using climbing sticks with a DIY platforn and they work well little bulky but nothing bad. Also ordered a Lone wolf hand climber to use. I would like to do SRT but dont know if its practical picking a tree in the dark mornings and trying to fish a rope into the trees quietly. I can handle the ascenders and climbing techniques. Is it practical without presets? I hunted alot this season and never hung the same tree twice.

Nope, at least in my limited effort and opinion of the process. I'm just not gonna preset stuff, to much commital to a tree at that point.

There is nothing faster than rope walking and why it is preferred access technique for production arborists. That being said I use it for presets on private land. With my version of one stick method I use an ascender and sometimes a hybrid SRT device and my climbing line and device doubles as my tree tether and adjuster.

Preset works best. You can use throw bag for afternoon hunts, but definitely not mornings before dawn. It's a breeze when you can Just pull your mainline up and start climbing. I really like it for ease of climb and the safety factor, but definitely need presets.

I don't think going in blind in predawn hours is rope ascent's strength!

However, you can put together a system like @cedar paul mentions where you rope climb presets and maybe reuse some items for an alternate in eatly mornings. In the light it can be feadible to go in blind depending on forest.

Blind dark mornings are a tough challenge for any hunting approach.

There is nothing faster than rope walking and why it is preferred access technique for production arborists. That being said I use it for presets on private land. With my version of one stick method I use an ascender and sometimes a hybrid SRT device and my climbing line and device doubles as my tree tether and adjuster.

Just out of curiosity, what is your "hybrid SRT device."

I don't think going in blind in predawn hours is rope ascent's strength!

However, you can put together a system like @cedar paul mentions where you rope climb presets and maybe reuse some items for an alternate in eatly mornings. In the light it can be feadible to go in blind depending on forest.

Blind dark mornings are a tough challenge for any hunting approach.

They sure are.

Srt, for me, is more effort than it’s worth even in the daylight.

They sure are.

Srt, for me, is more effort than it’s worth even in the daylight.
My use/plan for SRT is for presets - especially where i can't or shouldn't drill the tree for bolts. And having an srt setup has convinced me to investigate things like 1-sticking with a more open mind for on the fly setup.

There are areas it can work fine to walk in blind with srt.

And if possible i generally want a preset for predawn hunts. Otherwise *** are you doing? Going in blind in the dark doesn't seem conductive to success.

For presets, I love SRT. In fact, I bought a 1000' of Paracord for this upcoming season. I enjoy scouting before season and setting up locations. Even after a morning hunt, moving and setting up another spot isn't that bad. I've honestly never walked in somewhere predawn without a specific spot in mind. But that's just me.

Back