• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT with figure 8

Wyatt_burp

Anyone using a figure 8 as a progress capture? I've been practicing with WE steps, a 5 step aider, DRT with a Blake's and prussic, and I'm curious if the jury's in on using a figure 8 along with a foot loop and hand ascender. The 8 looks quiet, inexpensive, and seemingly the only drawback is you cant reroute tag end through your ascender.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

The Fig8 by itself cannot capture progress. What did you really have in mind? You'd step up, pull out the slack on the Fig8, and then you'd have to tie off the fig8. Would you somehow combine the fig8 with a prussic? You would need something to tend prusi, I think.

None of this seems preferable to a legit progress capture device.

By the way, roughly for the price of a single hand ascender, you can get two ropemans and now you have what you need for a Texas system. A legit SRT method. Maybe the most inexpensive except for just using prussics.

I've been working on this for a bit now and the answer is that you actually CAN do it when a prusik is used. Just haven't gotten around to making a video on it yet.

By the way, roughly for the price of a single hand ascender, you can get two ropemans and now you have what you need for a Texas system. A legit SRT method. Maybe the most inexpensive except for just using prussics.

What's this 'Texas system' you speak of?

@Wyatt_burp My method incorporates the figure 8 more like a prusik tender than a "progress capture". I'm a friction hitch guy and began looking for a way to reuse gear I already had on me instead of adding other pieces.

I'll do a video when it cools off a bit.

What's this 'Texas system' you speak of?
index.php

This illustration uses hand ascenders, but you can use 2 ropemans or even knots!

Great video on what to use when you drop your belay device (GriGri or MadRock).....I learned how to use a munter hitch with a carabiner but I like the figure 8 descent and now have to try that one as well....thanks!

If you run this friction hitch this is doable. Descent is more difficult than standard figure 8 because auto brake.
b3c657ed2b5a37e42aa7cd8d50fbe33e.jpg

Spent the night going up and down and figuring the figure 8 SRT and boy howdy, you have get used to the 8, but once you do, easy street. Get to hunting height, and you can throw another girth hitch around the 8, then daisy chain or half hitch tag end, super secure, you could also install a prussic to your longer bridge(if that's how you roll), and take out the 8 while sitting. Ready to go down, throw in the 8, remove prussic, and away you go.

To capture progress with a figure 8, girth hitch the 8 like normal, through the back of the 8 and around the smaller loop, then you rotate the biner from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock or vice versa for lefty. You must rotate past 6 o'clock for the friction hold. I'll film a video next time I climb. That will replace gri gri.

In the past 3 ish days I've climbed 10 feet and rappelled down a few times, and 20 feet about 15 times.

Once you get to hunting height, I have been girth hitching the 8 again and throwing a stopper knot right at 8. Rock solid. Just be careful climbing, if you goof and the 8 slides out of position, it will no longer hold you in place.

It isnt me, I haven't tried it, but this is what got me thinking.

Hey that’s cool. Seems like it can come undone without removing the carabiner? That’s something to be very careful with, if true.

To capture progress with a figure 8, girth hitch the 8 like normal, through the back of the 8 and around the smaller loop, then you rotate the biner from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock or vice versa for lefty. You must rotate past 6 o'clock for the friction hold. I'll film a video next time I climb. That will replace gri gri.

In the past 3 ish days I've climbed 10 feet and rappelled down a few times, and 20 feet about 15 times.

Once you get to hunting height, I have been girth hitching the 8 again and throwing a stopper knot right at 8. Rock solid. Just be careful climbing, if you goof and the 8 slides out of position, it will no longer hold you in place.

Just curious. Why would your replace your gri gri with the figure 8?

Back