• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stacked Outdoors Ladder Sticks

neal.hogge

Anyone seen the Ladder Sticks from Stacked Outdoors? These look promising. Maybe a little heavy at 9.4lbs for the set of 4 that are $149. They're 21" long and are 2 step sticks that look to be made out of ABS or a GFRP type material, so no clinking or boots squeaking. With an aider, looks like we might be able to climb 15-16ft with them depending on spacing. The best thing is they stack super tight together. Thoughts on these?

https://www.stackedoutdoors.com/product/ladder-sticks-stack-of-4/

I'm not sure I like that button placement. I'm sure they have done their testing, but still...

I actually thought about pulling the trigger on these but not sure if a rope mod can be done with the buttons on each side. I am also concerned that the offset brackets may not handle smaller trees.

I thought they would have been lighter but I think I saw a video of these at ATA and they are 9 pounds for the 4. He said they tested stronger in cold weather which also surprised me. Look nice but not sure my mind would allow my to use them as a climbing method. There is just something about using a "plasticy" material to climb a tree with that would not allow me to be confident.

A couple threads on here already discussing them. And the above seemed to be the consensus.

I'll pass, for all the above reasons. Also, for those who might want to leave sticks in place, plastics are usually susceptible to UV degradation. I don't see this addressed in their specs. Possibly insignificant for users who don't leave their sticks out.

Reactions: Pxt
I picked up a set of four at ATA. I have some cool mod ideas for them if I ever get time to play with them.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'll pass, for all the above reasons. Also, for those who might want to leave sticks in place, plastics are usually susceptible to UV degradation. I don't see this addressed in their specs. Possibly insignificant for users who don't leave their sticks out.
they have a warning of not letting them out longer than 2 weeks outside at a time, so for presets it's a no go

I picked up a set of four at ATA. I have some cool mod ideas for them if I ever get time to play with them.....

how are you going to mod them? they look like you can't mod them without causing issues with the structural design

Have you been able to modify these in any appreciable way yet???? If so please share? I pretty much like them out of the box but I had to camo paint them!!!!

I actually thought about pulling the trigger on these but not sure if a rope mod can be done with the buttons on each side. I am also concerned that the offset brackets may not handle smaller trees.
So I just wanted to update everyone on some simple changes I made to the Stacked Outdoors stackable sticks. The buckle straps are very beefy but they are super heavy and noisy. So I purchased some 8mm prussic rope in 8ft. sections and tried them. These work great. I first tied a bowline knot on the one end around the right button and made two wraps around the left button then I just boat hitched most of the remaining rope around both buttons and its as tight as a tight and holds well!! Virtually no slip or flex as I step up and I'm a beefer at 214. I didn't like the length of the tag end on the bowline knot so I just doubled one end and made a simple knot with enough tag end to give me confidence. I will carry these in my other sys hauler and just pull out a rope each time instead of worrying about carrying the ropes on the steps. The other simple mod I made was carrying these steps up. You can't stack them if you have pre attached rubber wire or cord or anything so I utilized some ball bungies (6" to 8" length) roughly. I put them in my mole loops on my saddle. I put two steps on at ground level and hooked two steps up through the ball bungie. Very silent and simple and the ball really makes it easy to "feel" the elastic cord over the ball bungie. The other two steps hang silently off the back of my saddle. Great system and very quiet. Works like a charm and super quiet. My next step is utilizing an aider to get a little more height. I am getting around 15' to 16' right now with no climb stretch and I could probably eeek out a little more height if needed as is.

Back