• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Standard dimensions of Recurve/Long limbs at the top/bottom of the riser?

ChurchAl

Is there a “standard dimension range” for Recurve/long bow limbs at the top bottom of the riser (example: 1”-1.5” wide by .25”-.75” thick)?

Looking for a width and thickness range, picture below for a reference. Thanks for the help!

642dc82215c50f90f956dd61b15976b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No standard for that.
Wider (and longer) limbs tend to be more forgiving than narrow limbs. Bit there are a bunch of other factors that come into play.
One other thing that is seldom mentioned is the length of the fade-outs.
Longer fade outs ( within reason) perform better than short, stubby fade outs.

If your going ILF way the longbow and recurve limbs now days are all about the same width and thickness. Some fade outs differ slightly. That’s one of the reasons you can change them out easily. Back in the day when warfs and ilf bows started to really become popular you had to shave down limb butts to clear the risers because risers back then didn’t have the clearance unless it was a dedicated IlF rig. I don’t have my limbs in front of me to measure depth or lengths
Now days there is a standard dimension and it depends on manufacture recipie to get the draw weight range they specify

The concept is basically the same I have seen wide limbs and long fades to boot in some of the bows in past but as the years progress the same bowyers seem to shorten their fades. Remember the 21st century bows they had long fades and they were wider than the average longbows of the times some recurves too. Look at the shrew line see how short the fades and width are compared to when they first came out. Natural progression and skill set of these bowyers. Bows now days just flat out perform even the Chinese copy’s better than some of the earlier longbow and recurves from when we was young uns of course we didn’t worry about speed and performance back then and of course many bows back then didn’t even come close to hitting that 200fps Many bows now days can hit that

The concept is basically the same I have seen wide limbs and long fades to boot in some of the bows in past but as the years progress the same bowyers seem to shorten their fades. Remember the 21st century bows they had long fades and they were wider than the average longbows of the times some recurves too. Look at the shrew line see how short the fades and width are compared to when they first came out. Natural progression and skill set of these bowyers. Bows now days just flat out perform even the Chinese copy’s better than some of the earlier longbow and recurves from when we was young uns of course we didn’t worry about speed and performance back then and of course many bows back then didn’t even come close to hitting that 200fps Many bows now days can hit that
No kidding, the recurves I have built will out perform my first compound and I am nowhere close to being real bowyer. Amazing performance out of a lot of todays bows.

I should have clarified my intentions. I’m working on a bracket that will be relatively universal/adjustable, so I’m really just looking for a rough range to get the tolerances right. It doesn’t have to be all-encompassing, but just trying to cover a range of popular bows on the market today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back