• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stands, platforms etc.

gumby

Watched a video on the new Beast loc-on and read the thread on here and a lot of interesting comments. This year I hunted the same tree In Black Warrior Management Area 4 times with these setups, all set up facing tree and using a saddle.

Ring of steps, platform and loc-ons

1st hunt, ros- easy to carry and set up but just couldn’t get comfy. Too much movement for shot.

2nd hunt Lil Ambush (ooal) easy carry and set up, rock solid, comfy and felt safe. I did do a little mod to it, hang it with paracord and strap it with ocb top and bottom, it will not budge when strapped.

3rd DIY platform- easy to carry and set up, solid, comfy and felt fairly safe, all said worked good.

4th LW assault- easy carry and set up, rock solid and felt safe. Strap on top and bottom. This was hands down the best of both worlds and I even like the cables for leaning out of stand, hang a leg against it for bracing if needed. Really just stand turn and shoot.

Not bashing any set up, all worked and have a place but the one common thing I have found is where to hang your bow, right side, left side, it’s a big deal and the weak side makes it even bigger. Where I hunt the deer are very alert, looking up and will not stand and pose for pix. Sure we can move around and shoot 360 in our yard but in the real world you will get pegged. With every setup being different don’t rule out a light easy hang loc-on, they still do have their place. What say you.

I have been saddle hunting for three years now and I agree with everything you said. First year was with a ring if steps and I didn't care for the movement involved to swing around to make a shot. The last two years I've been using the predator platform and it was much better for me, but there are still times I would have preferred to be in a hangon. I absolutely love the packability of saddle hunting, but sometimes I wish I could just sit down and not be starting at a tree infront of me.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Agree on all of the above! They are all useful tools and I love using all of them! I personally can’t sit still more than a few hrs in a saddle most of the time so that’s where a hang on comes into play for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with what you said. I have a modified platform that I used all season this year. I like the platform but sometimes you just want to sit down Without your knees up against something. That is why I ordered the beast stand think I will have the best of both worlds. I can grab the platform if only going for a couple hours or grab the beast stand if I am going to be out for a while. Weight difference will probably be within 2 lbs of each other so I call that a wash.

Agree with everything everyone has said so far. I do love the saddle and it’s utility and versatility. This was the first year I used saddle almost exclusively. Have to admit anytime I had a deer encounter they almost always pegged me. Most of the time I’m almost positive I wasn’t moving. But for whatever reason they picked me out. Anytime I was in my LW Assault lock on or even my LWHC it seemed like I was almost never picked out unless I made some really obvious movements.

Conclusion: there seems to be something about saddle hunting and me that don’t totally match up. Maybe just my inexperience with it. But overall I feel I sit more still for longer and more relaxed in a tree stand, even tho overall I feel more secure in a saddle because you’re hanging the entire time.

I’m keeping my TL Mission and Novix sticks for sure. But I did sell my Assault and some other things in order to try out a .5. Hoping this will be the best of both worlds with packability and tree stand comfort. If it doesn’t work then I may take a harder look at the beast stand (also want to see what other customers say about it when it actually starts shipping).

Of course as usual, all of this is subject to change without notice. :)

How many deer did you see on those four hunts on Black Warrior WMA from the same tree?

ROS rule. Lol. I guess I’m one of the minority I still like my ROS on a ratchet step and just walk around the tree.

I do find it funny every one brags on a platform and them puts steps on both sides of it.

Saddle hunting is not one size fits all.

I usually am hunting tight quarters in thick woods with tradbows, so the transition from lightweight stands like my LW climber, M7, WindWalker, .5LWCG lately, have all been overruled for the quietness that 4 Shikar sticks and versa aider and saddle have provided this season. The stands always had a possibility of noise walking in and/or setting up, usually all went well, but they are metal...and setting up in pre dawn with deer in area was always a slow careful exercise.

Only got busted once, right after climbing deer caught me moving and still organizing gear. Continually fine tuning my system now. I did miss a doe lately shooting from the worst possible position...weak side, right next to tree, shooting downward, with recurve bow. I was seriously in a bind and into the tether. But season has been very good with other very rewarding kills.

I'll be trying one sticking when the gear arrives, mostly from an increased safety standpoint. Coming down short sticks with a versa aider is getting a little sketchy at dark now with cold weather clothing bulk and hunting 100% solo. At 63 still running pretty hard and want to keep doing so.

All said and done, I really love the saddle for the extra quietness and minimal profile it provides from walking in, setup, and hunting. I could easily go 100% and get rid of everything else. Right now using a Pred platform, but waiting on Ultimate stick with Scout to come in. Will finish the year and make that decision later.

How many deer did you see on those four hunts on Black Warrior WMA from the same tree?
[/QUOTE
Seen 4 deer and a coyote. Doe and 2 small fawns one set and a doe and coyote another at 10 yrds, couldn't get on yote in time and just passed on doe.

Nice. I’m not far from ya and I hunt Bankhead some. Good luck!

The hybrid Saddle will there be such a design? This saddle you can climb and rappel with the bridge in the front and D ring in the back while hunting. Many hunters jumped on board to saddle hunting and discovered the challenges. Hunter visibility can be an issue from a saddle. In a stand your back is against the tree. You can see 270 degrees by only turning your head and twisting at the shoulders. From a saddle there is a blind spot behind and in front. Try only moving your head and twisting at the shoulder, visibility is compromised. From a stand I never worried about seeing directly behind me. I could not shoot directly behind me anyway. Next on the list is movement. The saddle offers no advantage here. Saddle hunters want to claim I can walk around the tree and keep it between me and my target. What if there are deer all around you, which is a common experience. I can sit in a stand so still deer can look straight up their nose at me and not get spooked. What say you of comfort. I don’t recall deer stand manufactures claims of ALL-DAY COMFORT. Heck I can’t set in a Lazy Boy recliner all day with out getting saddle sore. I can put a cushion under my rear where it belongs instead of my knees and sit in a stand without hip pinch. Now what am I going to do with my feet. I’ve got an Idea. Let’s build a platform that is as big as a deer stand. This way we can discard all the advantages a saddle brings. Oh, I almost forgot I still must climb the tree.

I enjoy hunting from a saddle, a stand or on the ground. I also like to read the threads in Saddle Hunter Form. Keep the threads coming it will be a long wait until opening day 2021.

Agree with everything everyone has said so far. I do love the saddle and it’s utility and versatility. This was the first year I used saddle almost exclusively. Have to admit anytime I had a deer encounter they almost always pegged me. Most of the time I’m almost positive I wasn’t moving. But for whatever reason they picked me out. Anytime I was in my LW Assault lock on or even my LWHC it seemed like I was almost never picked out unless I made some really obvious movements.

Conclusion: there seems to be something about saddle hunting and me that don’t totally match up. Maybe just my inexperience with it. But overall I feel I sit more still for longer and more relaxed in a tree stand, even tho overall I feel more secure in a saddle because you’re hanging the entire time.

I’m keeping my TL Mission and Novix sticks for sure. But I did sell my Assault and some other things in order to try out a .5. Hoping this will be the best of both worlds with packability and tree stand comfort. If it doesn’t work then I may take a harder look at the beast stand (also want to see what other customers say about it when it actually starts shipping).

Of course as usual, all of this is subject to change without notice. :)

Im in the exact same situation. I have a .5 on the way. If it does not solve my issues Im selling my saddle set up and going beast stand

Im in the exact same situation. I have a .5 on the way. If it does not solve my issues Im selling my saddle set up and going beast stand

I got my .5 last night. Had to go out in the dark and try it of course. It is a really nice stand. I do have some mixed feelings about it tho. The sharp edges do bother me a bit. And they do wear fast on the strap. I saw slight fraying already after setting the stand just 1-2 times. Ended up smoothing those out where the strap presses against the seat post. Maybe I shouldn’t have done that but to me that’s a safety issue.

I really can’t believe the weight of the thing. It’s amazingly light. It’s actually lighter weight than my Mission platform. If it doesn’t work out for me then I’ll also be considering the beast stand even tho I don’t feel good about the price. I do see this .5 working well most likely tho. We’ll see.

That's the funny thing with saddle hunting. With a tree stand I didn't have to keep making adjustments with my setup to make it comfortable. If my ass goes to sleep or my back gets sore I just stand up a few minutes. But that's turned into trying different platforms, saddles, bridges, etc. all to make it comfortable. I've been leaning towards a hybrid set-up with my XOP hang on. That way I can stand, sit, lean, and have a big platform. Granted, I can do essentially the same thing with a RCH. It's also easier to just strap my sticks and gear to the back of my stand than deal with a giant pack IMO. If I'm going for ultimate comfort I'd just sit in a ground blind with a Buddy heater.

That's the funny thing with saddle hunting. With a tree stand I didn't have to keep making adjustments with my setup to make it comfortable. If my ass goes to sleep or my back gets sore I just stand up a few minutes. But that's turned into trying different platforms, saddles, bridges, etc. all to make it comfortable. I've been leaning towards a hybrid set-up with my XOP hang on. That way I can stand, sit, lean, and have a big platform. Granted, I can do essentially the same thing with a RCH. It's also easier to just strap my sticks and gear to the back of my stand than deal with a giant pack IMO. If I'm going for ultimate comfort I'd just sit in a ground blind with a Buddy heater.

Yeah. Interesting how that works lol. I still like saddle hunting but I’m just finding myself leaning back towards tree stand hunting lately. I will still be using a saddle even with a tree stand. Will likely do a hybrid kind of thing too. Really don’t want to go back to a full body harness. Although I don’t trust leaning on the side of the .5 the way you would a saddle platform. Maybe if I put on the second strap button it would be better. But if I’m gonna do that I’ll just use my Mission I guess.

Now getting a small portable packable small enclosed blind that blocks wind and rain and bringing a buddy heater up in a tree, that would be perfect lol.

Yeah. Interesting how that works lol. I still like saddle hunting but I’m just finding myself leaning back towards tree stand hunting lately. I will still be using a saddle even with a tree stand. Will likely do a hybrid kind of thing too. Really don’t want to go back to a full body harness. Although I don’t trust leaning on the side of the .5 the way you would a saddle platform. Maybe if I put on the second strap button it would be better. But if I’m gonna do that I’ll just use my Mission I guess.

Now getting a small portable packable small enclosed blind that blocks wind and rain and bringing a buddy heater up in a tree, that would be perfect lol.

My wife actually got me one of those Ameristep chair blinds for Christmas. It'll get used on rainy days. Granted it's probably not big enough to draw a bow in so it'd be used for gun or I've been looking at a budget crossbow. Not sure a Buddy heater would fit comfortably in it either but at least I'd be dry ha. I'm waiting for the LWCG portable ladder stand ha.

P.S. still haven't gotten my Predator into the woods. At this rate it'll probably won't happen until next season.

My wife actually got me one of those Ameristep chair blinds for Christmas. It'll get used on rainy days. Granted it's probably not big enough to draw a bow in so it'd be used for gun or I've been looking at a budget crossbow. Not sure a Buddy heater would fit comfortably in it either but at least I'd be dry ha. I'm waiting for the LWCG portable ladder stand ha.

P.S. still haven't gotten my Predator into the woods. At this rate it'll probably won't happen until next season.

Oh yeah cool. I’ve been eying those chair blinds up too. But don’t really have a weapon that’ll work in it anymore except for gun or muzzle loader. Those are really short seasons here to I don’t usually buy much gear specific to those hunts lately. Used to have a crossbow but don’t anymore. Been giving thought to getting another one sometime too. There’s so many places I hunt here that seem to work the best hunting from the ground. One of those chairs would fit the bill nicely in those situations. And hate to say but shooting a crossbow would make it easier to stay hidden.

Bummer about having to wait for the predator until next season. I get it tho. I have all of January and beginning of February to bow hunt still. So hoping to get out a few more times.

After spending way way to much on saddles steps sticks platform's!!!! I went back to my Assault 2 stand rock harnesses and 3/32in LW sticks with one 22in aider on bottom. I get 18ft And a .5 stand with rock harnesses for going in deep.

Back