• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Staying positive

TheYote

I’m a sheriffs deputy and considering everything going on I’m finding it difficult to remain positive and not let myself get stressed and depressed. What do some of you do in order to stay positive? One thing I did was get off all social media. Secondly I picked up a book and started reading daily. I just had surgery so going to the gym is out for a while so I can’t really do much but sit here and think.

Thanks for all you do to protect our freedoms! I encourage you to get into The Word—The Holy Bible...there’s a peace that only God provides. We look for it here on Earth in many avenues—nothing here on Earth can permanently and satisfactorily provide what we all desperately crave...that inner peace. An old pastor told me this... “until you have peace with God, you will never experience true peace in this life.”

Again, thanks for all you do! I will be praying for you!

If you can find the environment to do this without causing undue hardship to family, cats, or dogs, play a good song at high volume and sing along as loud as you can. I like Still Counting by Volbeat. But feel free to pick something else.

GOD & FISHIN!!! Call a friend and talk for a while. good call getting off of social media (ive been out for yrs) its the root of so much evil in the world. im on here all the time instead. Sucks what people are doing out there right now. Try to remember theres alot of us NOT rioting that really appreciate what you guys do. it takes one little negative moment to blind you to the positive things happening all around you. you have to sit back and reflect on your day sometimes

I with you on trying to stay positive. Really hard to do in this world lately.

thank you for what you do, with whats going on out there right now, I'm surprised more officers aren't leaving for a different job and leave the streets to the thugs.

All good responses!!
1- set yourself some achievable goals. Now these can be as big or as small as you need. Start small, say let's achieve something every single morning, like wake up and make the bed. Do every single day. This will start your day every day, having already accomplished something. Then keep building from there.
2- scout! You dont have to put boots on the ground right now but you can certainly build yourself quite a list of things to do before the season starts!.
3- dont worry about the things you cannot control. Stressing over something that is completely out of your control can become unhealthy. Focus on the things that you can effect, like your house, your family, your preparation for the coming season and so on. Being a law enforcement, you are in the middle of it, so itll be tough to not stress. Which leads me to my next point.
4- dont bring work stress home. Talk with your spouse or what have you and make a plan to decompress daily. Keep a fishing rod in your car and stop to cast a line for 30mins after everyshift, or plan to micro scout, check our new hunting grounds on the way home. I do both of these almost everyday.

I can imagine you just feel burned out! Just know that even you may require help at times, there's nothing wrong with, it doesn't make you "crazy", it just happens. I know that it may seem arbitrary to say but WE, the collective we, (saddlehunter), feel for you and appreciate you! Now, I can only speak for myself on this one but if you need anything let me know how I could help you! I will be happy to do so.

God bless, stay safe, and keep your head up, as you still have something to be proud of!!

All good responses!!
1- set yourself some achievable goals. Now these can be as big or as small as you need. Start small, say let's achieve something every single morning, like wake up and make the bed. Do every single day. This will start your day every day, having already accomplished something. Then keep building from there.
2- scout! You dont have to put boots on the ground right now but you can certainly build yourself quite a list of things to do before the season starts!.
3- dont worry about the things you cannot control. Stressing over something that is completely out of your control can become unhealthy. Focus on the things that you can effect, like your house, your family, your preparation for the coming season and so on. Being a law enforcement, you are in the middle of it, so itll be tough to not stress. Which leads me to my next point.
4- dont bring work stress home. Talk with your spouse or what have you and make a plan to decompress daily. Keep a fishing rod in your car and stop to cast a line for 30mins after everyshift, or plan to micro scout, check our new hunting grounds on the way home. I do both of these almost everyday.

I can imagine you just feel burned out! Just know that even you may require help at times, there's nothing wrong with, it doesn't make you "crazy", it just happens. I know that it may seem arbitrary to say but WE, the collective we, (saddlehunter), feel for you and appreciate you! Now, I can only speak for myself on this one but if you need anything let me know how I could help you! I will be happy to do so.

God bless, stay safe, and keep your head up, as you still have something to be proud of!!

1000% best, most insightful post I’ve read on these forums. Good on ya bud

I appreciate everyone’s input, it’s very good advice! I’m m going to focus more on productive and positive things. Outdoors, reading , health etc. I thing I need to unplug from all the chaos. I bought me a new vxr 31.5. And a new phantom saddle. I’m going to focus a lot on hunting and fishing with my little girl.

I really don’t know what’s happening with the world. It’s just saddening to me. I did buy me one of those study Bibles and have been reading it along with The 48 Laws of Power and another book called Resilience

Last edited:
Thanks for all you do to protect our freedoms! I encourage you to get into The Word—The Holy Bible...there’s a peace that only God provides. We look for it here on Earth in many avenues—nothing here on Earth can permanently and satisfactorily provide what we all desperately crave...that inner peace. An old pastor told me this... “until you have peace with God, you will never experience true peace in this life.”

Again, thanks for all you do! I will be praying for you!
This^
God save us.

As a few others have said, there is no peace like that which can be found by resting in Jesus. Life is really hard, and frankly just sucks sometimes. But especially in the midst of dark times, I find great comfort in remembering that my joy and peace are not dictated by my paycheck, my circumstances, my politics, or even my health. My God offers hope, healing, and comfort that is much deeper than those things. Here are a couple Bible verses that help me in times like these:
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.“ John 14:27
I also recommend reading Psalm 23 aloud as a prayer to God.
I don’t mean to sound too “kumbaya” with all this; I am just sharing my own experiences. I hope and pray you find peace and rest in Christ’s love. Doesn’t mean you won’t have crap to deal with (you’ll actually probably have more crap to deal with since following Jesus ain’t easy), but it means you’ll know you’re forever on the winning side, which is pretty darn reassuring to me.
Please let me know if I can assist or encourage you in any way! And thank you for your service!!

Life is nothing but a series of problems.How you deal with these problems will determine if you will be successful or not and if you will be happy or not. Be careful stress is a real killer . As some have stated do something fun, for you every day. Do whatever it takes to take care of yourself . May God be with you.

Back