• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stealth Strips

Mackerel

Has anyone put stealth strips on a shotgun? Does the adhesive hold up to the heat from the barrel? I have a black browning maxus and I’ve been wanting to camo and got to thinking about some stealth strips I have laying around. Any thoughts?

Stealth strips leave a nasty goo mess if you remove them. Your shotgun but just know that if you decide to take it off you are in for a miserable cussing for hours trying to get all that off. The vinyl wraps would be better.

Stealth strip is definitely a permanent wrap. Of course that is what makes it so good. You shouldn’t have any problem on a gun. It takes significant heat to burn the strip.

Stealth strips leave a nasty goo mess if you remove them. Your shotgun but just know that if you decide to take it off you are in for a miserable cussing for hours trying to get all that off. The vinyl wraps would be better.
X100 it’s not permanent like blued steel & you will never forgive yourself if you WHEN you have to redo it down the road!!

Vinyl wraps or a roll of camo form. Vinyl is better if you get stuff wet. Camo form is less tedious to apply. But I'd pull my teeth with a pair of channel locks before I stealth stripped a gun.

Stealth strips are a nightmare to remove.... I never want to do that again so I probably will never use them again...lol

Stealth strips are a nightmare to remove.... I never want to do that again so I probably will never use them again...lol

I seem to hear this a lot but only in the saddle hunting community. I’m the total opposite I only use stealth strip because it doesn’t come off. When I put it on something I expect to never have to replace it. My LW sticks are going strong at 8 yrs now. In the past using gorilla tape, camo form, or hockey tape I got max 2 seasons. Now when they fell, peeled, or tore off it was easy to clean & reapply. But cleaning & re-applying every yr doesn’t make since when I can put stealth strip on & be done.

If you want to remove later I would recommend Camo Form tape or Vet tape. If you want it on forever and don’t care to remove use Stealth Strips.

I seem to hear this a lot but only in the saddle hunting community. I’m the total opposite I only use stealth strip because it doesn’t come off. When I put it on something I expect to never have to replace it. My LW sticks are going strong at 8 yrs now. In the past using gorilla tape, camo form, or hockey tape I got max 2 seasons. Now when they fell, peeled, or tore off it was easy to clean & reapply. But cleaning & re-applying every yr doesn’t make since when I can put stealth strip on & be done.
I can see stealth strips working fine for straight, smooth surfaces like a stick. And aluminum doesn't react negatively when it gets wet and stays wet. But that fabric on a gun sounds like a complete nightmare.

If I was going to permanently camo a gun, I'd dip it or paint it. If I wasn't sure I wanted it to stay that way and I knew the gun would get wet, I'd buy a $20 vinyl kit like @Squirrels said and spend an evening applying it. If it was a one time deal I'd wrap it in camo form (I do that occasionally with my Citori if she goes duck hunting.)

Not knocking stealth strips at all. I liked the batch I bought much better than the other adhesive backed tape I've used. But I'd hate to see what a hunting gun looked like after being taped up and rained on a time or two.

I guess it’s not a matter of will it work..... it absolutely will! But given the alternatives available why that selection. I guess that was my point.

Not knocking stealth strips at all. I liked the batch I bought much better than the other adhesive backed tape I've used. But I'd hate to see what a hunting gun looked like after being taped up and rained on a time or two.

I was thinking wrapping the stock only. Figured the op was worried about the barrel heat affecting the camo on the stock. A blued barrel would likely be a pitted rusty mess after
getting wet - the stealth strip should hold it together for awhile!!!!

After reading everyone’s thoughts and thinking about it, I may just give the rattle can makeup job like I do to my AR’s. I find matching flat earth tone colors from spray paint to my environment (north cakalacky) works much better than any camo pattern I’ve seen available on the market.

Back