• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Step and OCB placement for ROS

Muskyhunter

I am switching over to a ROS set up this year. If we use a clock as an example:
1. How many and where are your steps located on a basketball size tree?
2. Where is your OCB located.

5 steps @ 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 OCB at 12 o’clock opposite the tree from you normal sitting position. Simply so I have the least chance to step on it.

5 steps @ 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 OCB at 12 o’clock opposite the tree from you normal sitting position. Simply so I have the least chance to step on it.
I was going to go with 5 steps as well. When you set your steps are you able to have your feet on 2 steps at a time? While practicing this seems more comfortable but then I may also have to add more steps to get around the tree.

I was going to go with 5 steps as well. When you set your steps are you able to have your feet on 2 steps at a time? While practicing this seems more comfortable but then I may also have to add more steps to get around the tree.

I have 1” squirrel steps and still soled boots. Doesn’t really bother me

I've been using top of my stick, and one at 3 and 9. So just packing 2 less its a huge tree

if I’m 2TC this is what I use, but when using sticks I set my steps even with my top stick. So I have climbing stick at 6 ratchet strap at 3, steps at 2,4,7,10,12.

I have been using squirrel steps with an OCB with a top of stick platform for 3 years now. In this set up the OCB was placed at 6. This was very easy to set up. How difficult is placing the OCB at 12?

I have Ameristeps at 2,4,8,10, &12. I have ocb at 6. Never had any issue stepping on it. Top Wild Edge step is at 6 a few inches below ocb. I can step on two steps at a time if I move steps slightly closer together on side where I spend most of my time. I can also step on one step at the same time as I rest my heel on top WE step. It's all a matter of trying different placements to find what's comfortable.

I use 7 Pioneer steps on an OCB buckle. Usually, I set the OCB at about 1 o'clock position and have steps spaced at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11ish, lol. A picture says more. You can probably get away with 5 steps, also.

Attachments

• Ring.jpg
    Ring.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 50
For me it depends on the size of the tree. If it’s a skinny skinny tree (think volleyball size or smaller) I’ll run 4 (3,6,9,12 o’clock positions) if it’s a mid size tree (little bigger than a basketball, I run 6 steps ( usually the same position but with two extra on the sides to minimize that step around distance.)
On big trees like I can barely reach around I’ll use 8. I like to keep my step distances under a foot apart, ideally about 8 to 10” so that I can make smaller steps and less noticeable movement while getting around the tree.

How in the world do you get the OCB on the opposite side of the tree from you?

Back