• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Steppladder Platform Prototype

hauscaliber

Hey guys new to the forum and just getting started in saddle hunting. Decided to tinker around with my new wild edge stepps and work on a DIY platform. I got the idea from someone else on YouTube and modified their design to get the stepp to cam over with the platform. Started with hardwood plywood I got from the scrap bin for $5 at Lowes and used a jigsaw, router, and dremel to do some rough shaping. It's still a work in progress...

Looks like a great idea!! I’ve been toying with something similar, I noticed that it flexes just a little with your weight. i wonder if some angle-aluminum along the edges could reinforce that?

Could you weld a small loop/hook in the V part of the bottom stand off. Then drill a small hole in the front of the platform. Run a small piece of rope from around the platform to the welded Loop and since the platform down tight from the front. This should take out any movement of the platform, and may actually make it easier to install the step since the wood will no longer be flopping around. I can try to draw a picture if that doesn't make sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yeah my art is terrible, But hopefully this illustrates a little bit what I'm talking about. I tried to do a front and side view of the platform.
67835f6fdc11e2e28108d7c088661d75.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

interested in trying my hand at one of these. Any idea how well it handles any sideways pressure on the platform?

interested in trying my hand at one of these. Any idea how well it handles any sideways pressure on the platform?
From what I've read on here it's the side pressure that makes this difficult. However, I believe someone did make it work on here. I love the WE system and am hoping for the day they build a platform.

Side pressure is still an issue as well as some bending. Although it does okay when force is applied diagonally. I'm looking into fiberglassing the top with some reinforcing as my next phase. May also add some reinforcing/attachment to the stepp. I love the ideas on here.

@Swampfox and @hauscaliber Do either of yall have some rough dimensions that you started off with for the boards? I’m trying to think through what size would fit my feet well. I wear a size 9 and a 10” wide board would fit both feet well it seems but I don’t know if I’ll want more room?

Nice to see these ideas come back and the creative juices flowing. Love these threads.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

@Swampfox and @hauscaliber Do either of yall have some rough dimensions that you started off with for the boards? I’m trying to think through what size would fit my feet well. I wear a size 9 and a 10” wide board would fit both feet well it seems but I don’t know if I’ll want more room?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZEEsfShJPB/

Try that link. That's where I started with mine. Although I ended up cutting the sides to get it to lock down on the tree. I've got it working perfect now. I plan on posting a demo when I finish a few cosmetic details.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZEEsfShJPB/

Try that link. That's where I started with mine. Although I ended up cutting the sides to get it to lock down on the tree. I've got it working perfect now. I plan on posting a demo when I finish a few cosmetic details.

I used the same measurement as this except I drilled the holes larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did one very similar but made my own step. My step has two contact points at the bottom side of the step for better lateral stability when trying to walk around the tree.
That looks pretty stable. Nice work!

I used the same measurement as this except I drilled the holes larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
How much larger? And why? If you don't mind me asking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How much larger? And why? If you don't mind me asking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The size I’m not sure, I reamed them out with a drill bit to fit.

The reason, so that that board would lay more flat and producing less of a slant that angled my toes into the tree.

Back