• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sterling Rope for auto block/stopper

tmattson

Just wondering, going to order some of these, note in the picture on the website it is tied different than a prusit, like on a tether or line belt.
Is what they shoe only for when this is used as a auto-stop with a belay device?
And if this is used as a prusit on a tether or line belt tie in like what is used like what comes on the saddle tethers and belts you would buy.

1563738512752.png

It is only used in that form as an auto block for a rappel device. If you used it on your tether to hang from you would need to use it as a prussic.

Have not ordered yet, but reason I am ordering is for the block / rappel - but looks like it could also be used as a prusit for a DIY tether later down the road (was going to order a few to have them just to have them as needed).

It is only used in that form as an auto block for a rappel device. If you used it on your tether to hang from you would need to use it as a prussic.

Curious, why wouldn't this work with your tether to attach your saddle bridge to the tether?

Curious, why wouldn't this work with your tether to attach your saddle bridge to the tether?
The rope itself would work just not wrapped in that fashion. @Vtbow is much more knowledgeable than me when it comes to ropes and knots but to my knowledge rigged as an autoblock it only has to put enough tension on the rope to put pressure on your atc/figure 8 to hold you in place should you let go of the rope. That pressure is significantly less than you would put on it just hanging. You could use that exact same loop of cord to hang from but it would need to be configured differently.

The rope itself would work just not wrapped in that fashion. @Vtbow is much more knowledgeable than me when it comes to ropes and knots but to my knowledge rigged as an autoblock it only has to put enough tension on the rope to put pressure on your atc/figure 8 to hold you in place should you let go of the rope. That pressure is significantly less than you would put on it just hanging. You could use that exact same loop of cord to hang from but it would need to be configured differently.
Exactly. the auto block is acting as your brake hand and holding the rope in the "s" shape and creating friction for your device to work. extending your device actually does something else other than get it out of your face. it makes a tighter "s" shape in the rope, making a tight bend and requiring even less pressure on the brake strand.

Read the specs on coordage/rope your using. Understand what it means and the applications.

I used those tied in a klemhiest last season. They rock, very minimal bulk

I use these for prusicks on my lb/tether.

Me too-- I use a prussic style knot for my tether and LB as well. just know what kind of knot your using, and the coordage strength. I like mine to be releasable under load, so a classic prussik is out.

Back